Saponificio Varesino

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by ChiefShaver, Oct 6, 2014.

1. ChiefShaver

ChiefShaver Well-Known Member

Hey Friends,

i just want to do a review of my newest addition. The Soap is (as you may have seen) Saponificio Varesino "Felce Aromatica". The soap comes in a very nice, solid aluminum jar. This jar contains 5.3 oz or 150g of soap. You can also buy the soap only. Without the jar. Than it is a little cheaper.
    The soap itself has a very hard consistency, so i think it will last a very long time.

Yesterday i used it the first time after i received it on Saturday. As i opened the jar, a heavenly scent came to my nose. Not a chemical scent, not artificial, just a pure, fresh and clean Fern scent. I have to say, that i never smelled a better Fern scent. Really really nice.

To lather up i used my HJM Black Fibre. I gave the brush a few swirls on the soap and within seconds i had enough wonderful lather to shave with. Once lathered up the scent was spreading out. There was an addition with a light citrus note, which made the scent so fresh. Absolutely outstanding.

The skin feel is absolutely top notch. There is no burning, no itching, nothing negativ about the lather. It´s very creamy, cushioning and the razor glides through the lather that it´s a pure joy. You don´t have to re-aply the lather. I let the lather sit on my face for about 5 minutes and what should i tell you...

NOTHING happend!!! No drying or fading away...the same quality of lather all the time. Wonderful.

After the shave i waited for abour 30 minutes to apply my Aftershave, because normally this is the time, where my skin get´s a little dried out if the soap has not the best moisturizing ingredients. I waited and waited and waited...and here again...NOTHING happend. My face felt like it has been creamed with a rich moisturizing balm or cream. Nevertheless i applied my Aftershave just to end up the shave like i always do.

For me i can say, that this soap is one of the best soaps i ever used. The scent is georgeous, the lather is fantastic and the skin care is absolutely outstanding. I paid 14,50€ (which is app. 18$) and shipping cost me 8€ (which is app. 10$) for shipping to Germany. So i think, the price is absolutely ok.

Here are some pictures and the link to the Homepage where you can get many more informations.

[​IMG]
    I ordered the aluminum jar version. Looks really nice.

[​IMG]
    Here the ingredients.

[​IMG]
    The Logo of the Company has been stamped on the soap. Hope you can see it a bit...

So, thank´s for reading and if you interested in this soap, here is the link:

http://www.saponificiovaresino.com/shop/index.php

Have a good time and take care of you.

Greetings
    Thorsten

ObiDon, Mike Brown, PLANofMAN and 6 others like this.
  2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Thorsten,
    Looks like a very nice soap! I'll need to put this on my buy list for 2015. Thank you for writing the review. :happy088:
    Kerry

Redrock and ChiefShaver like this.
  3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I almost ordered some of this fine soap.
    $14 for the shave soap (no tin), plus I snagged a citrus bath bar ($5). Total came to $19. Shipping from the company's site (Italy): $19-$26…….too much. Had to pass. :(
    I'll wait for a US vendor to carry it.

Redrock and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  4. AlfredoT

AlfredoT Well-Known Member

Thorsten...
    You've been faster than I !

It is not too long a time I use this soap, especially in consideration I started shaving over half a century ago!

As artisan Italian soaps/creams, I use myself the well known here Pannacrema and the Freelander soap which is one of the best soaps I ever tried.

And this is my experience with Felce Aromatica!

And, time ago, when the owner of Saponificio Varesino (which is close to the Brebbia Pipes factory) decided, as a mere skill exercise, to create a shaving soap which has no "chemicals" and is absolutely compatible with the most sensitive skin, I was very intrigued.

After some tests he got to version 4.0 which I fell in love with because not only is anti-allergic, as many soaps are, but it lathers very quickly after a few turns in the bowl to load the brush.

On top of this, it bares incredible after shave performance: the use of an aftershave is, for many, not needed.
    I am one of them, but I love either the alcoholic kick or to spread something on my face!

This soap has been developed with the support of the members of my Italian Forum: so... no animal test!
    Human test only! [​IMG]

I decided to take a video of it and who's patient and tolerant enough among you, might watch a fat not-so-dressed gentleman.

The enormous round pink thing is my face!

To show how Felce Aromatica Beta 4.0 works, I used 4 different brushes and it can be seen that bristle stiffness in definitely irrelevant to load the brush.

I apologize for the duration of the video: it is my very first experience and, looking at the results, it will be probably also the last one!

I extra loaded the brushes: in reality, very few rounds are plenty enough.
    I usually do face lathering, but decided to show what happens with bowl lathering and to achieve evident results I used my suribachi.

I hope you'll find it interesting even if, as a matter of fact I am not too worried about your reactions: I used a nick and hid carefully where I live. Moreover, most of you live very far away! [​IMG]

PLANofMAN, crackstar and ChiefShaver like this.
  5. ChiefShaver

ChiefShaver Well-Known Member

Alfredo, thank you VERY much for that great video. I enjoy your pics of your shave´s of the day so much...wonderful atmosphere in your photos. You did a great video...interesting and very good to look at. I love the PannaCrema too but i never heared of the Freelander soap...:signs002: I would definetly like to see more videos from you. :signs021:

Greetings
    Thorsten

Redrock and crackstar like this.
  6. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Molte grazie, Alfredo e benvenuto al questo gruppo. Buon divertimento! :) Si, si, io posso parlare italiano. Qui, abbiamo molti membri d'Europa.

Redrock likes this.
  7. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

thank you for the video demonstration.
    very nice

8. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

My Manna di Sicilia finally arrived along with the wooden shaving bowl. Out of the box the soap smells amazing. I can't wait to try it tomorrow.
    I really like the bowl. You can actually see the rings from the tree on it which is nice. I will try and posts some photos soon.

Redrock, RaZorBurn123 and Omelmad like this.
  9. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

I have both the Felce and the Dolomiti. For me, excellent soaps; mild, distinct scent; great, easy lather; comfortable shaves. I face lather using a nice Semogue boar with these soaps. I recently did the "Thin the Herd" and I had to keep these soaps....just too good.

Slow Joe and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  10. Redrock

Here is a CONUS link...still a pricy soap.

Hope this helps.

crackstar likes this.
  11. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Ed was kind enough to send me a very generous sample of Dolomiti, I've read a lot of reviews about this soap many saying it equals or surpasses MdC in quality and performance. While everyone's opinion is subjective, IMO this soap is just as good as MdC.

Slow Joe, crackstar and Redrock like this.
  12. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

I was able to get a sample recently of the Saponificio Varesino - Manna di Sicilia (1/2oz sample $5.00) from Garry's Sample Shop. Bluegoose carries the 150g product in the states for $28. plus shipping. Haven't tried my sample yet, may treat myself on Father's Day next week.

13. Redrock

Oops:o

Here is the link.

http://bullgooseshaving.com

crackstar likes this.
  14. Redrock

Did you mean http://bullgooseshaving.com?

crackstar and Rufus T. like this.
  15. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

:signs011: As they say - great minds think alike.!

RaZorBurn123, crackstar and Redrock like this.
  16. Redrock

:happy036:

And, you are making it tough on me. Here I just thinned the herd and now I learn there is another SV soap. Father's Day...hummmmmm.

crackstar and Rufus T. like this.
  17. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

And I say it's Father's Day, you thinned the herd, - reward yourself! :happy096:

PS - and don't forget to send your friends a sample!
    ;)

Slow Joe, Redrock and crackstar like this.
  18. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Himmlischer Gott - so viel tolle Seifen hast Du, mein lieber! :)

Rufus T. likes this.
  19. Redrock

Enabler!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rufus T. likes this.
  20. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

:signs011: