Saponificio Varesino

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by IDuck, Feb 6, 2016.

1. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

So I am a BIG BIG fan of these soaps and say it is the best soap I have ever used...If you look at many reviews (which I can not confirm) they put these soaps on the same level as all other top notch/top self soaps out there..However, like any other well made product it isnt exactly "cheap", so some may have a hard time taking a leap of faith ($20-$30) for a shave soap...My reasoning for this thread is to be able get a better understanding on questions someone might have before they push the buy button..

I personally have the 70th anniversary and Colonia (asylum) soaps...both soaps are amazing soaps, which produce a fast,thick,slick,cushiony lather....The scent of the colonia to me is very similar (almost exactly) to razorock XXX, and the 70th is a very unique scent that to me is a floral/citrus/fresh/cologne that is barnone my favorite scent I have...

I am looking to get another one but I dont understand a "scent pyramid" and Im having a hard time understanding the scents of Dolomiti, Felce Aromatica, and manna di sicilia..for those of you that have used it, what would you compare the scents to? and how do you like them?

2. Joef

Joef Well-Known Member

I have the dolomiti, but I really can't compare it to anything else I've ever smelled. To me it has a woodsy scent with a little citrus. I don't get much floral from it but it's slightly noticeable. I also get hints of patchouli and pepper, but also very light. One thing I don't smell at all is clove. I was a little hesitant when buying it since I'm not a big fan of it.
    Over all its a great scent. But again, it really doesn't smell much line anything else I've tried. I will definitely be buying it again!
    Hope that helps a little.

3. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I recently aquired the Manna Di Sicilia and the best way I could describe the scent would be a stronger and similar to MWF. That was the first soap I thought of the first sniff of the puck. I agree that the performance, even though I have only tried it once so far, was on par with top notch soaps.

4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Felce Aromatica is a classic Fougère scent. To me it smells like walking in an old grove forest in the Pacific Northwest, just after a rain in the springtime.

Loam, moss, and fern predominate. Hints of mint are present as well.

I keep mine stored in a Thuja wood bowl, which adds it's own heady blend of woody scent as well.

Performance is right at the top of comparable soaps. Top tier for sure, right up there with RazoRock, MWF, and WSP. I would go so far as to say it's the top performing triple milled soap I've used.

5. Bussemand

Bussemand Well-Known Member

I just received some samples of the Dolomiti, Manna and the 70th. from ShaveDash - I already had the Felce Aromatica and loved it so much that I had to check out the others.
    All the soaps have one thing in common. They all have what I would describe as a modern scent.
    The easiest way to imagine the scents, is to look at pictures of what they are named after. Dolomiti is a mountain range and the soap smells just like I would imagine from the pictures, with an added hint of mint. Manna di Sicilia is a sap tapped from ash trees in Sicily, with a hint of flowers and cologne. Felce Aromatica smells of wet undergrowth with lots of flowers and 80's cologne.
    Hope that helps, ha ha!

PLANofMAN likes this.
  6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Flowers I don't get, but if by 80's cologne, you mean traces of Drakkar Noir, then I could agree.

Bussemand likes this.
  7. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

love it!!! and thank you all for the replies...it seems like that is a common theme with there soaps, because if I had to describe the "scents" I would have a hard time doing it...the 70th to me is a great smelling soap but if I just listed what I seem to smell it wouldnt do it justice IMO so its hard to describe other than when it is all put together it smells wonderful....Im thinking my next one is going to be Felce Aromatica

Bussemand likes this.
  8. Bussemand

Bussemand Well-Known Member

There's definitely some Drakkar in there. I pick up a powerful, dry floral scent from it - Like it's one part forest floor, one part floral and one part Drakkar noir. Then again, who knows what goes on in my nose