scales

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by bg42, Mar 12, 2007.

1. bg42

bg42 New Member

Just some scales I have been working on of late the wood is myrtle and ringed gidgi. there is another pair on the way
    kind regards Peter

Attached Files:

2. Bill

Bill Man of Steel

Dang! Those are nice, Peter. What did you use for the finish? Ever had any luck with Wipe-On Poly? Tru-Oil for gun stocks works good too.

Whatever you used looks good and I'd like to give it a shot myself.

3. bg42

bg42 New Member

One thick coat of ca I`m experimenting at the moment to see what works for me I`ve tried lots of thin coats Renascence wax and oil ,still can`t get a finish like yours,but I`m trying ,bloody trying according to the misses
    Kind regards Peter

4. Padron

Padron Active Member

Very nice work Peter, can't wait to see them fitted on some nice blades :D

5. coolsimon

coolsimon New Member

Know the feeling

I`m trying ,bloody trying according to the misses

hey peter kicking scales man,love the right hand one the best, we are moving this week so eventually i will get to play with my tools as Ive enough wood to choke a horse....so hopefully i can produce something worthy.
    I made a set of Laburnam scales and used woodturning liquids on it and they look good however due to a little bowing i need a liner, and all i have been able to scrounge up is some stainless steel which i fear may be rigid enough but too heavy even though its not that thick.
    I still cant find anywhere locally that I can find aluminium or aluminum as its called here, maybe some of you fine people can help me out?.

great job peter andhopefully i will have something to post later.

regards,simon::

6. C utz

C utz New Member

Those look great!

SO. HERE is where everyone has been! Sheesh!

I've been sitting around 'other' forums fielding the 'how do I....' restoration questions. Waiting to see some of this nice work. And looking/waiting for some restoration tips.

WELL, good to find everyone!

C utz

7. Padron

Padron Active Member

Hey Buddie,

Welcome to TSD, Glad to see you here, it's Great - Bills here, Joes here, Gary, other Str8 guys too, and I saw Vlad also became a member this morning :D

8. Will

Will Nevermind

This is not good! pretty soon you guys are gonna make me Dive in to buying Straight Razors :eek:

Welcome Aboard C utz. :cool:

9. LX_Emergency

LX_Emergency Member

Vlad? Damn....that means I can't look over here anymore.....I dream about the stuff he does. (As if I'm not already too tempted to let Bill or Joe or Gary redo my 7/8 TI).

10. C utz

C utz New Member

Thanks guys! It's good to be here........

Vlad?! I was just wondering where he has been. When he falls silent like this, he usually shows back up with some amazing restorations and designs you'd never thought possible. I can't wait!

C utz

11. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Welcome aboard, C utz! Yeah, all the best straight razor folks have joined here recently. For a fairly new board, we have some heavy hitters! I have one I need to get one of these guys to restore for me, an old Torrey.

12. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Welcome C utz!

I looked on Bill's site and I saw a sea of sold signs. Say that fast three times. :D Oh well, I don't have my tax check anyway. I have a couple of people who love going to garage sales and the flea market looking out for me.

13. Bill

Bill Man of Steel

Good things happen to those who wait... ;)