Scalpel sharpness

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by bdalemauger, May 16, 2015.

1. bdalemauger

bdalemauger Active Member

I don't know if this has ever been discussed but anybody had experience with a scalpel and if so how was the "sharpness" compared to a well honed straight?

2. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

A surgical scalpel is many times sharper than a straight razor and almost as sharp as many of the sharpest DE blades.

3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I dont think I'd wish to shave with a scalpel-sharp instrument. Too easy to start shaving off skin…..:eek:

4. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Hmmm. I worked surgery for years. I've never seen a scalpel anywhere near as sharp as a Feather or Polsilver Super Iridium. I doubt that there is a scalpel anywhere that is as sharp as a professionally honed and freshly stropped straight razor.

5. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    There was a study done

See Voerhaven paper

The sharpest DE's in the study where found to be about .31 Microns the sharpest SR's where at .32 Microns IIRC off the top of my head :p

There is really much more to this and I can go on and on about what is sharp and what is smooth (Finish stones, Stropping, Edge coatings etc etc)

Scalpels are a draw cutting instrument where as DE and SR's are designed as push cutters these are not actually the same type of edges...

As to actual keenness I doubt they are very far apart in Micron size if at all now if you want to get into really keen then look at the Micron size of an Obsidian edge...

Keithmax, 45auto and HolyRollah like this.
  6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Taken from a debate of steel vs obsidian: "Freshly broken pieces of obsidian make perfect, smooth edges that are only a molecule wide at their apex. Steel, on the other hand, is jagged on the edge, forming tiny tooth-like serrations on the cutting edge. Those points will bend to either side of the blade through use, dulling the edge. When you sharpen a knife, you are aligning the serrations to the plane of the edge. Steel can theoretically be honed until its edge is just a single molecule wide like obsidian, but here the limitations of the metal come in to play. Obsidian is much, much harder than steel. At molecular width, it's edge is hard enough to maintain that razor edge. At that thickness, the steel blade's serration's (the ones I mentioned earlier) are too weak, and will bend once you try to use that edge. Once you try cutting something, the steel edge will bend, and become less sharp."

Shave-ready?
    SafariScreenSnapz346.jpg

7. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

It is amazing how mother nature provides us with the tools we needed to survive way before the invention of man made materials and manufacturing.

8. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  9. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

Obsidian was regularly used as a razor in quite a few cultures.

10. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

It seems like I remember reading something somewhere where some doctor-type was shaving with a scalpel when hard pressed for a razor. From what Glen said, it doesn't sound like it would give a very good shave.

11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Given that it requires a draw cut, as Glen mentions, perhaps the Gillette Slide and/or J-Hooking might (emphasis MIGHT) work.

gssixgun likes this.
  12. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

I think it would be darn awkward any way you slice it...

13. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    ^^^^^ Now that was funny