Schick Blade in Enders Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Jayaruh, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I saw where @jmudrick put a Schick Proline blade in his Enders razor.
    [​IMG]

I asked him how did he do that. He replied

Place the Proline in the blade tray as you'd want it, slide the original Enders blade right over it and it will keep the Proline blade secure. For best results cut the edge off the Enders blade so it can be fully inserted and can click into place.​

I decided I would give it a try. However I looked for an hour or so for my Enders blades with no success. I was writing him about my failure to find the blades when it came to me that I should look in my used blade banks. I did, and I was successful. In fact, I chose to look in the older one first, and there on the top was the Enders blade.

IMG_9574.JPG

I followed his instructions, and I was able to line up an old Schick blade and slide the Enders blade right on it. It looks like this will work. I will take the edge off the Enders blade before I do it for real though. Thanks @jmudrick for this tip.

IMG_9576.JPG

2. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Great. Now the tricky thing is getting the Schick blade set just right on the guard for best exposure. I started this morning with the blade too far forward and while the shave was ok it was a bit too much blade. I set it back just a smidgen for my head shave and it seemed just right.

I mentioned this elsewhere but will reiterate, there are some very small diferences in injector blade length which makes some too big to fit well in the blade tray. The Proline fits just snugly enough to stay put without warping.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  3. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Thanks. I blunted the Enders blade, and I was able to load a new Personna blade backed up by the Enders. Before I did that, I saw where the Enders blade came and used that as a guide. I plan to use it for one of my passes tomorrow to see how it goes. This week I will be using my new Henckels Rapide with a CVS CS blade.

Linuxguile and Frijolero like this.
  4. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Well alright. I hope you have as good a shave as I did this morning. After futzing with other blades that were tough to fit (didn't have a Personna handy) I'm very pleased the Proline works.

Linuxguile and Frijolero like this.
  5. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    I do have some Prolines, but the Personna was handy. I'll let you know how it goes.

Frijolero likes this.
  6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Does it shave pretty much like an injector of the same period?

Frijolero and Jayaruh like this.
  7. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    My first shave with an Enders was January 2, 2017. It was a great shave. You can read about it here: https://jrshaving.blogspot.com/2017/01/enders-speed-razor.html
    It was an amazing shave. This is a great little razor. The feel in the hand and on the face are great. The razor is very intuitive. I wish the blades were still available. I would be shaving with this razor daily. I would love to try it out more, but as I remember, it may be better than injectors of the same period.
    [​IMG]

8. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I suppose, it's light (same 31g as the E) and uses the same blade, but handling is obviously different with the curved handle (which feels more substantial) and blade feel is pretty much user determined. Plenty of exposure is possible as I discovered the first part of my morning shave, more aggressive than my E2. With exposure adjusted it was more G like.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  9. MPF9

MPF9 Well-Known Member

Hi Jim,
    I have some NOS Packs of Enders blades if you would like one, I could perhaps send you one from UK.
    Mike - Jayaruh No67.

10. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

So, let get this straight. You put the injector blade in and then the Enders with the Enders blade behind the injector to hold it in place?

Linuxguile and Jayaruh like this.
  11. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Menthol Monday's Shave
    [​IMG]

Cold Water Wash
    C.O. Bigelow
    Jayaruh #327
    Enders Speed Razor
    Ted Pella Personna
    J.A. Henckels Rapide
    CVS CS SE
    CWR
    Osage Rub

Last night I decided to change today's line up a bit I loaded my Enders Speed Razor with a Ted Pella Peronna injector blade and backed it up with an Enders blade that I had dulled the edge on. I intended to try it out on just one cheek.

My prep was just a cold water rinse. The C.O. Bigelow Shaving Cream face lathered well with the Jayaruh #327 brush. I ended up doing the whole first pass with the Enders. It was very smooth and efficient. Excellent results. Next, I did the second and final pass with the Henckels razor with a CVS CS SE blade and ended up with a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse, I finished off with Osage Rub. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    Frijolero, Linuxguile and jmudrick like this.
  12. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Yes (I thought you had actually done this @poppi ). Best to cut off the edge else the Enders blade can't be clicked in place. It holds partially inserted but makes for a more nervous shave .

Frijolero likes this.
  13. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Bravo. Fun ain't it. These are such a lovely design, it gives me great pleasure to put them to use.

[​IMG]

Frijolero and Jayaruh like this.
  14. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Yep. That is correct. This morning I used a Ted Pella blade. I had also blunted the Enders blade quite a bit on a stone. After lining up the Pella blade, I slid the Enders blade over it. It just held the injector blade snug. Excellent first pass.

IMG_9578.JPG
    IMG_9579.JPG
    IMG_9577.JPG

15. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    I agree. It is a very well thought out design.

ItalianShaver77 and jmudrick like this.
  16. noni.m

noni.m New Member

I just wonder if the Enders 'Speed Shaver' design inspired the Classic Shaving 'Occam's Razor' design, which holds a Feather Artist Club blade in a similar fashion (with one of three adjustable plates), though it was probably designed independently of it.

17. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

The Enders works a lot better than the floppy Occam IMHO.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

pj3r and MPF9 like this.
  18. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

That looks like it could have been the inspiration for the OneBlade design. Nice razor.