Schick Dial M26 Adjustable Safety Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by GlennConti, May 19, 2013.

1. GlennConti

GlennConti Well-Known Member

Thanks for your help with this. I feel like a forensic detective or archeologist working with the clues. It will be nice if the instructions also confirm with a print date.

ohpaos likes this.
  2. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

The Ted Pella blades, product number 121-4. $4.90 for 20 blades. I didn't know the Ted Pella blades were made by Personna. I thought they were made at the Ted Pella factory in California. They feel different to my face somehow. http://www.tedpella.com/dissect_html/dissect.htm#_121_4

ohpaos likes this.
  3. GlennConti

Thanks for that - that's a great deal. I bookmarked the site. Do you notice any difference between the Pella/Personna and Schick blades?

4. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

All the different blades have a slightly different feel for me, though it could be my imagination. The Ted Pella feel sharper but less smooth than the Schick. I strop them in the head against my hand or blue jeans. The old Personna 74's feel very nice, but I can't tell much difference from the new ones other than they keep there edges longer. Schick is good, but not the best deal pricewise compared to the Ted Pella. The Ted Pella hold an edge longer for me. They all work well.

Ted Pella will ship to your workplace or you have will have to sign for them at home. Something about shipping sharp objects?

I called my order in and was given a better deal and cheaper shipping for being shipped to my workplace.

5. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

When someone decided to start calling the Personna blades "Ted Pella" blades back in the dark ages of shaving message boards the confusion started. The exact same blades can also be purchased at www.emsdiasum.com which is another medical supply site, but no one ever calls them emsdiasum's.

ohpaos likes this.
  6. GlennConti

Got the Schick Dial Adjustable today. The instruction sheet says M-67-158 and the cartridge says M-67-5 so even though the case says 66-127 my best guess is that this razor is from 1967.
    L1020674.JPG

7. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

:happy088: :happy088: Nice work, Mr. Holmes!

GlennConti likes this.
  8. gms541

gms541 Member

I have the same model, and I love it. I tried the Schick blades and nearly took off my face, so I bought the coated blades from Ted Pella and get seven days of great shaves with the setting at #5. I find it easier using an injector razor because I don't have to hunt for the proper angle - just put the thing flat against my face and go. It's as easy as using a cartidge razor, but a lot less expensive. BTW: Some folks say the plastic case of the Personna blades is cheap, but I've never had a problem with them opening or twisting.

9. ChiefShaver

ChiefShaver Well-Known Member

I´m searching for a Schick like this...:( Nothing to find in good conditions...either in bad condition or for too much money...:( But i won´t give up my hope.:)

10. GlennConti

Thanks for the tips. I just did a 3 pass shave (I saved myself for the postman) with this Schick Dial adjustable with a new Schick blade set to "3". I didn't go to "5" because I thought the Schick blade might be too aggressive. What a wonderful shave! Smooth as silk and the only reason it wasn't a BBS is I forgot to touch up one area. This has to rank up there with one of my best most effortless shaves. Love my Schick Adjustable :).

11. GlennConti

Definitely worth the wait. Or get one in good working condition that needs to be cleaned with no case. Like I said -- worth it.

12. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

I really like mine. Much easier and faster than a DE.

Clayton

13. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

my first razor was a Schick adjustable...I got it in the early 70's used it my last year of high school,hated it,then grew a beard,till I started my career when I began using the Trac2 and used it for 34 miserable years until I discovered DE shaving and found the true joy of shaving....:)

14. GlennConti

So Eddie are you dissing injectors? :) Cause there's an army of people on this site that like them. I'm impartial because I get great shaves from both DE and Injectors. Maybe it's time to revisit :D

15. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:happy097: No not at all..I have several Injectors now and enjoy using them from time to time...That said, I "hands down" get my best shaves(closest/most comfortable) from a 3 piece DE, my current favorite is a Weber DLC coated shave head, so far "WONDERFUL"..

The worst part of the "Injector" story is that after hauling that "Like New with case" Shick around through several moves for the better part of 30 years, on my last move, prior to my awakening to the "JOYS" traditional shaving I got rid of it thinking I would never shave again. :angry032: It actually physically hurts whenever I think about it....:(

GlennConti and ohpaos like this.
  16. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Hoping Tom will weigh in here. Been using my Schick Hydromagic this week - haven't used it in about a year. Last time I used it, I tried German manufactured Schick blades - they were perfectly awful - rough and dull.

I finally got around to picking up some Chinese manufacture Schick blades. These were much better, and gave me an acceptable but not very inspiring shave. Bottom line is they just aren't sharp enough for this tough old beard (I use Feathers in my DE). So the question is, are the Personna's any sharper? Are they worth trying in my case? Or do I just concede this and pass the blades I have acquired on to my wife?

I have really wanted to like the Schick. It is a pity there is no more blade selection left than this. Oh well... Thanks in advance for any insights Tom or anyone has!

17. chevyguy

Just picked up 36 NOS Personna Platinum Chrome Injector Blades off Ebay for $14. I'm good for awhile, I've already got 28 and one will last me a couple weeks of daily shaves. How do the Ted Pella blades compare to the NOS blades. Are the Connaught blades the same as the Ted Pella blades?.

Clayton

18. chevyguy

Eddie, Trac-II's aren't bad. That's what I started with in 1980, then I got a free Atra that I used from 1981-98 when I switched to the M-3. That's when the shaves started to suffer. I couldn't shave daily due to my neck getting torn up. I switched to two bladed disposables in 2003 when blade prices shot up to $8 for eight M-3's, and then to DE's in 2006. Now I'm into Injector's. I wish now that I would have started with one.

Clayton

19. chevyguy

Don't feel bad Eddie, my mom threw out my dad's 1956 Flaretip SS after he died because she didn't want me to cut myself with it. I was 15 at the time and needed to shave so she gave me dad's Trac-II, and Norelco Rotary to shave with. I have a 56 Flaretip with case just like dad's now, but I wish that I had dad's razor now. He taught me to shave with it.

Clayton

178-bplatoon likes this.
  20. chevyguy

Mine was covered with soapscum when I got it and it had a blade in it. Removed the blade and a little work with a toothbrush and scrubbing bubble's and it's in like new condition.

Clayton