Schick E3 Use Question

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by S Barnhardt, Nov 16, 2019.

1. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

Took the leap and used the Schick E3 I bought for the first time. While it wasn't bad, it wasn't as good as I thought it would be compared to the Harry's I've been using. I know that's probably viewed as blasphemy by many here, which makes me wonder if I'm missing something in my use of it. It was a new blade out of a new pack. Held a hot wet towel against my face two successive times. Used Mystic Waters Bay Rum soap lathered in a bowl and applied for two passes, one with the grain and one across. Sorry to say but it didn't give me as good a shave as the Harry's. It's been a long time since I've used a SE or a DE so am I missing something? Didn't use a lot of pressure.

2. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

You may not be missing anything. Multiblade carts can be extremely efficient. Single blade injectors for many tend to be more comfortable and less apt to irritate. If those aren't issues for you it might not be a huge improvement.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

3. S Barnhardt

I don't typically get much, if any irritation and/or discomfort from the Harry's. I didn't get much with the SE, but I did get a small amount with it. Short lived though.

On average, I shave roughly every 3rd day so there is "some degree" of outgrowth there and don't use a cartridge more than, at the most, 5 times with 3 or 4 being most likely. I follow things up with a warm cloth clean up followed by a generous cold water "splash" over my face, which I love, and follow that up with AS. Right now my AS is Clubman Special Reserve.

I'll give it more attempts, but wanted to see if there was anything I might do to help my SE use. Don't get me wrong, it's not bad. I would like it to be better, closer, etc.

4. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Even less pressure, flatter angle would be the only things that occur to me as to things to try.

kjbarth, S Barnhardt and brit like this.
  5. S Barnhardt

:thanks: @jmudrick :thanks:

kjbarth likes this.
  6. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

I find the injector blades to be less than adequate. I use B-20 blades in the ones I own. The drawback is you have to load them into an injector unit to use them.

tp

7. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I also prefer the B20 FWIW.

8. S Barnhardt

:thanks:

kjbarth likes this.
  9. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

While I've heard nothing but good things about the B-20 blades, I haven't tried them yet. I've tried the Chick blades, but for me, Personna PTFE blades are much smoother. But as @jmudrick has mentioned, keep the head flat against your face, it makes a big difference.

10. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Try the E3 type razor some more, they are very light razor a Schick blade should give a great shave IMO. You have to make sure that when injecting a blade that it does not rub against the 1st blade keeper. Some times injector razors are sold with the blade removed and that can be a issue to a new user not knowing when installing a new blade!
    Have some great shaves!

PLANofMAN, kjbarth, brit and 2 others like this.
  11. S Barnhardt

I don't think I let the blade rub as I was, I thought" watching for that based on what someone had said about it in another thread. "BUT" I've been mistaken before and could be this time, so I'll load, with extra caution, a fresh blade in it the next time I use it.

Ron R likes this.
  12. S Barnhardt

I'm going to look for some of those. Can't hurt and will add to my "arsenal." Can a person buy emptly injector units to use for this purpose, or would you just use one you've emptied??

:signs002: :thanks:

brit likes this.
  13. S Barnhardt

I'll look for some of those as well!

brit likes this.
  14. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

My first Schick E was bent which left the blade at that a less than effective angle. Once bent at intended, it transformed into a wonderful shaver. I suspect it was improperly placed in the case and the lid taking the proper angle to flat.

brit and S Barnhardt like this.
  15. S Barnhardt

I may be on the right and/or only path here, but I want to ask "before I do."

I'm sitting here looking for B20 blades and the only ones I've found without going the bulk from Japan route are single packs from a couple of sites and Etsy in the $13 plus range. Is this what they are? Nothing on Ebay not from Japan. Nothing on Amazon. I'm not above ordering in that price range for a trial if that's what I have to do, but would like to know if there is a better place first?

EDIT: Have a single pack of Personna PTFE coming off Ebay, though.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  16. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

brit and S Barnhardt like this.
  17. S Barnhardt

@Terry

Thanks for the tip!

brit likes this.
  18. brit

brit in a box

S Barnhardt and Terry like this.
  19. S Barnhardt

In my looking for blades and/or empty keyed cartridges, I ran across Supply and ordered a pack of their SE blades to try. Hope they are at least okay.

:signs002:

brit likes this.
  20. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

B-20 blades are Ok but were designed for Shavettes and are not designed specific for a regular Schick injector razor. Take care when installing them because they have large corner edge radius that can give issues with certain Schick injectors blade stops. I do not use them in my Schick injectors but use them in my Enders speed shaver, they are a reasonable blade.
    B-20 blades (2).jpg

Here I have a B20 blade on top of a Normal injector blade, also the B-20 blade is a little shorter by .005 thousands of a inch that makes it not favorable for normal Schick injector razors IMO.

S Barnhardt, Terry and brit like this.