Schick Hydro 3 vs Schick Hydro 5

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Trickson, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Trickson

Trickson New Member

I just recently bought a Schick Hydro 5 and i love the shave but i feel like the blade is too fat. It doesn't shave good around the contours of my neck and my face feels greasy after a shave. I also have trouble reaching the hair under my nose. You know, that tiny tricky patch. Do you think the Hydro 3 would be better for that? I think the greasy feel could be contributed to the gel pockets on the blade. That or the sudden heat wave in Tennessee. My dad uses a Mach 3 and i get a perfect neck shave on that blade. I switched to Schick because im tired of Gillette prices but so far, im not sure i like it. The Hydro 3 is a smaller blade and most websites say that it's sharper and better than a mach 3.

2. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

Why not look at getting a good Double Edge, or Single Edge Safety Razor? A Merkur 34c plus five blades would not cost much more than a pack of five of your cartridges. Or a Schick Injector you could pick up a good old stock model plus 10 or more blades for the same price. Then ever few weeks it'll only cost a dollar or two for five more weeks of blades.

EnglishChannel and Trickson like this.
  3. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Prior to switching to DE, I used a Schick Hydro 3 because I wasn’t going to pay the Gillette prices, and I thought 5 blades was bordering on ridiculous. My face did feel gooey after a shave, taking several splashes of water to get it off. I’d always chalked that up to the lubricating strips on the back edge of the cart. The area under the nose was always a little tricky for me with multi-bladed carts.

4. Trickson

Trickson New Member

I've heard that the Merkur 34c is a good starting DE razor. Today I tried shaving with Hydro 3 and I was once again disappointed because I couldn't reach the hair around the contours of my neck. That's when I decided to turn my Gillette fusion blade backwards and shave my neck with the nose hair trimmer. It shaved perfectly. I think i might actually get the Merkur but I see 100's of companies who make blades. I need a sharp blade that will last at least 3 shaves. I keep a hairless face and shave 3 times a week.

EnglishChannel likes this.
  5. Weasel640

I primarily used the Gillette Sensor Excel for 20+ years. I discovered the Merkur 23C (Long Handled Version), switched to Safety Razors and have not looked back. Yes the Merkur 34C is a good starter.

In regards to your neck; the hairs will normally grow a different direction than on your face. So you would need to change the direction of you pass.

Most DE blades will last at least 3-7 shaves. You will see the term "Your Mileage May Vary" (YMMV) thrown around because it really depends on many variables i.e. how thick your hair is, how often you shave, blade brand, etc... On the higher end a Feather Blade may cost you about $0.20 for some it may last 3 shaves, but for me shaving daily I can get 7+ good shaves.

You are right there are many DE blades to choose from. The best thing to do is pick a good middle ground recommended one (I like Astra Superior Platinum, Voskhod Teflon Coated, and Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless (Green Pack)). Then stick with just that one for a while until you get your technique down (there are lots of Youtubers to reference when learning). Once your are confident with your razor, then start trying new blades and product variables...

brit and Trickson like this.
  6. Trickson

Trickson New Member

Would the Feather Hi Stainless be a good choice?

7. Weasel640

It is a good blade yes. But many regard it as being one of the Sharpest available, others regard it as being too harsh. The Feather is one of the pricier ones as well. That is why I say start off with something more middle ground. The Astra Superior Platinum is a good price, and many regard them to be nice middle ground and very consistent. You will notice that some Youtubers will comment that they will try a new Razor with the Astra Superior Platinum because the know how the blade preforms.

brit likes this.
  8. Weasel640

Bolzano Superinox is another one that is a little lesser know, but regarded to be as sharp as the Feathers, but more smooth and longer lasting. But again YMMV...
    Also don't fall victim of assuming that sharp is equal to smooth, this is not always the case. How a blade feels is largely based on ones skill with their equipment and personal preference.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    Trickson likes this.
  9. pisces_0

pisces_0 Well-Known Member

Yep, the Merkur 34C is a wonderful entry into DE shaving.

PM me your address and I'll get one right out to you. It was my first "real" DE razor, but now goes mostly unused as I've moved into SEs. Rather see it get used than collect dust here. :happy036:

PickledNorthern and Trickson like this.
  10. Trickson

Trickson New Member

I sent you a private message. Still trying to get the hang of these forums so im not sure if i did it right.

11. brit

brit in a box

i started with a 34c 1 and a half years ago and quickly dove into vintage gillettes for nostalgic reasons.i had used mach 3s since the early nineties. bit of a learning curve and skin conditioning ,i will never go back.also a great hobby finding and collecting old razors

Trickson likes this.
  12. Trickson

Trickson New Member

Im going to practice with the 34c for a year or 2 and then step into a vintage Gillette myself. I bet the 1904 models look beautiful once their fully restored.

brit likes this.
  13. brit

brit in a box

the old types and single/ double ring razors from the 1910s and 20s are beautiful razors. but they are a little too aggressive for me.i like the techs,superspeeds, aristocrats--1930s-1960s

14. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

I am going to start posting advice that guys should use a Schick Quattro when asking about the lastest Rocnel etc.

To answer the question, you can flick back the head on the Hydro 5 and use the flip trimmer blade or use a Hydro 3. If you changed due to cost look at using the EasyFit3, which is the Hydro 3 Mk1, this is branded as a generic Mach3. You just need to remove the Hydro Connect adaptor.