Schick II Twin Blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by rodd, Nov 29, 2011.

1. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I heard about these a couple years back, but haven't really seen them around. I got a chance to pick some up, so I thought I would share some information and pictures. Most images link to a larger version if you are trying to read packaging or see details.

They came out as dual blade cartridge razors were starting to pick up steam. This was a creative way for Schick to cash in on the "more blades is better" notion. Basically it is a regular DE blade, and a slightly smaller DE blade, with a thin spacer sandwiched in between them. I love the quote from the packaging: "New Schick II Double Edge twin blades for a better shave without changing razors." Schick advertised that they fit all double edge razors, but in reality, the head geometry could make a big difference in whether or not the second blade actually touches your face.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Because there are two different size blades, there is a top side, and a bottom side, and it is important they are put in the razor properly.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    In the razor, as the head tightens down, and the blade flexes, the blades do space just a little bit, but there is no way for the soap/whiskers to flow through like they do on a cartridge razor, so regular rinsing is necessary. Sorry, it turned out to be very difficult to get good pictures of the edges.
    [​IMG]

This morning I shaved with one of these, in the Schick Platinum razor in the picture above. I didn't have high expectations. Surprisingly, I got a great shave. I think it was more the fact that it is has a good sharp and smooth edge than the fact that there are two blades, but it was a very nice shave. I am looking forward to experimenting with these in some different razors to see what kind of a difference it makes.

Too Long Didn't Read: more blades = better. ;)

2. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Nice post. I got a pack of these a year ago that I haven't gotten around to using yet. Motivation!

alpla444 and rodd like this.
  3. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

I've seen pictures of these before, and would pick up a pack if I had an opportunity at a low enough price. By comparison, I already like the twin injector blades made by Schick, Personna, and Gillette. Did anybody besides Schick make twin DE blades? I remember a sort of double cartridge razor, shaped like a DE but with two blades on each side. That one had the blades more widely spaced than with the Schick Twin DE, though.

rodd likes this.
  4. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I am not sure if anyone else made them. These are the only ones I know of. I think I saw one of those double cartridge razors on ebay recently, but I can't tell if it is single blade, or double. Either way, I was sure I wouldn't be able to find cartridges for it.

5. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Those are kind of cool looking.

rodd likes this.
  6. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Personna also made a version as well. I have used these and they are good, but beware that when the give it up and start slightly tugging, get a fresh blade, don't wait. They have a steep drop off compared to regular blades in my usage.

rodd likes this.
  7. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

Fascinating , never heard of these blades, someone should still make these . Nearest I ever heard was Gordon said he saw a European barber put two DE blades in a safety razor to shave him and that the shave was excellent.

rodd likes this.
  8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Here is Personna's entry in this blade class.

personna twin double edge.png

rodd and Mechguy like this.
  9. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Thanks for the heads up!
    Awesome! I love that it is a 1 blade pack.

10. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

The packaging cost more than the blade.