Schick Proline SE blade review

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Hodge, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

First of all, shout out to @Halvor for turning me onto these SE blades. I purchased them directly from Rakuten in Japan. The blades were quite inexpensive $10/pk of 20 but got nailed on shipping ($27). My bad for not being able to read Japanese:(. I did receive them in less than a week though....
    [​IMG]
    I loaded one in my Cobra Classic this morning and tried them for the first time and wow was it smooth. The Cobra has always felt aggressive and harsh with Feather Artist Club blades and not overly pleasant until at least the second or third use. The Schick Proline blade on the otherhand made the Cobra feel like a different razor. I could have quit after one extremely pleasant pass but carried on with another pass atg just to try it out. The results were comparable to any of my favorite Schick razors loaded with a Dutch Schick injector blade (my benchmark blade). Tomorrow I will be trying the Proline in my Mongoose:D

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  2. Halvor

Halvor Well-Known Member

Glad to hear! (Bar the part on the shipping costs.) Shearworld is probably a bit more expensive, but less on shipping, so not sure which is better. Schick really should see to making these more available as I have yet to hear of anyone who didn't take to them immediately.

RaZorBurn123, Hodge and clint64 like this.
  3. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I may have to get some of these for my Mongoose. Thanks for the review.

Hodge, RaZorBurn123 and clint64 like this.
  4. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thanks for the review. I might have to get some and give them a go.

Hodge and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Super write-up!! Thanks.

6. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Maybe contact Edgewell Personal Care - owner of Schick, Wilkinson Sword, Personna, Edge shaving gel - and let them know. Never hurts. Being that these are made and sold in Japan, Edgewell probably just licenses the Schick name to a local Japanese company.
    http://www.edgewell.com/

BigMark83 likes this.
  7. Halvor

Halvor Well-Known Member

Just an update here for those who want to acquire these blades. I got the 30-pack at ca USD 10, and shipping from Japan to Norway was about 4 dollars! (Cheapest means and it may take forever to get here though.) Can't imagine it being more expensive for it to go across the Pacific, its airborne either way I suppose.

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/ha-life/item/twoinone0550/

Update after having had a look in the mailbox: ordered 11 May, received them today 19 May. Using Rakuten is a no-brainer!

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    Keithmax and jmudrick like this.
  8. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

I tried to order them from Rakuten, but shipping was over $20 and I balked (I live in CA). Aside from Shearworld, does anyone know of another supplier?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  9. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

I fell for the expensive shipping because I wasn't paying attention. There is a low cost shipping option that @ram57 managed to get. Hopefully he chimes in.

ram57 and DesertTime like this.
  10. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

Default is JP Post EMS and I change shipping method to JP Post Small Packet for cheaper shipping.

11. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

:signs011:

ram57 likes this.
  12. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

Always willing to help a fellow enabler!!

captnronfl and Hodge like this.
  13. MPF9

MPF9 Well-Known Member

As has been said there is the EMS rate- quick but expensive, rate to USA cheaper than to UK.

On panel for shipping options- enter Small Packet no tracking. Delivery a bit slow apparently

Using Rakuten, you need to become a member. I have ordered 2x P-30 cost around total $19.20, + shipping around $4.

PS I have ordered some Type B which are similar in length to ordinary Schick, I hope to try them out in the Supply SE, and maybe Vintage Injectors. Could be very interesting if they work.

captnronfl likes this.
  14. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

@MPF9 I'm looking forward to see your feedback asap :happy088:

15. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

Ok so far we know the Schick artist blades are sharp,smooth and at decent price considering you can get 90 blades with shipping for around $34.... not bad at all

What I would like to know:

1. How do they fair longevity vs the Feather Pros and Kai Pinks
    2. Anyone had tried to use them in the Razorock Hawk? any fitment issues?

16. MPF9

MPF9 Well-Known Member

I use them a lot and can get about 10 good shaves with them in a General.

Am up to 17 in a Claymore V1 .Have a Hawk up to 7 uses so far,no fitting problems.

captnronfl and clint64 like this.
  17. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

thanks

clint64 likes this.
  18. Peter Mcgee

Peter Mcgee Member

How much would shipping be to the UK for 30 of these blades ? Do you have to pay customs and royal mail handling charges?

19. MPF9

MPF9 Well-Known Member

You can buy 2 Packs of P-30 without incurring Customs At £7.08 a pack. shipping under £2. You have to ensure you order Small Packet Post on order.
    You do not pay until advised of shipping cost , double check they have put down that rate.

I just got 3 X B-20 delivered within a week to UK, at £5.70 a pack which included postage. These Type B blades
    fit the Supply SE, and Vintage Injectors by loading from a host Keyed Dispenser.

Peter Mcgee likes this.
  20. Peter Mcgee

Peter Mcgee Member

Thank you mpf9 for your advice I am going to order 2 packs now