Schwarzweisskeramik scuttle

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by huckelberry hound, May 8, 2014.

1. huckelberry hound

huckelberry hound Active Member

Really thinking about getting one of these bad boys. Does anyone have one that can justify the purchase to my wife? ;)

2. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I do not know any thing about them, except they are made in Germany. I would say you should look on Etsy https://www.etsy.com
    Most of the products there are made in America. Ane you could probably get one a lot cheaper on Etsy then from the company in Germany let alone the shipping costs. That's JMHO

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  3. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

In case some one is interested in these scuttle's I didn't look to see how much, but I was going to order some soap from a place in London, and the Postage was more than the soap. http://www.schwarzweisskeramik.de/enindex.html

4. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

I'll not try to justify anything to anyone else's wife, but I can think of a whole
    host of worse things you could spend your money on.
    As long as your purchase doesn't deprive another family member of something they need,
    I'd say go for it!

At any time, and in any weather, warm lather is cool... :happy069:

Last edited: May 9, 2014
  5. Barrylu

Barrylu Well-Known Member

I am on my second one. I just retired it in favor of a dirty bird scuttle. The European clay can not stand as much heat as clay from the US. The German scuttle will crack if boiling water is poured in it. It will also crack if placed in the microwave. On the plus side it is beautiful to look at and does a good job of heat transfer of hot water from the tap. My difficulty is the water from the tap in my house never gets hot enough. I broke my first one by placing it in the microwave and my second one is in the closet.

6. huckelberry hound

I Have a large Robert Becker scuttle which I loved however I gifted it to my brother for his 15th birthday. Seeing as I didn't time gift and purchase properly I'm sorely missing warm lather. I am surprised you have had cracking issues especially with the Schwarzweisskeramik. My understanding is that their supposed to retain heat better and be more crack resistant with the exception of the brush holder which they do warn of. Do you pre heat your scuttle before putting in the boiling water? I have really hot tap water which has been sufficient for me. I've also had my eye on the Georgetown G20. It's been a tossup between the two, what won me over is the soap lid. I really like the idea of grating the soap and packing the lid to lather.

7. Barrylu

My house is a new energy saving type. There is no water tank. Water is heated as needed passing through a series of heated coils which are heated only on demand. The water does not get very hot. On my first scuttle I added boiling water against the potters recomendations. It cracked. I really liked the scuttle and obtained the second one. I followed the recommendations. Put tap hot water in for 5 minutes. poured it out and refilled it with hot tap water. It did not get warm enough for me. Last year I was in Germany for a few weeks. I soon realized the water which comes out of the taps there is much hotter than the water in my house.

8. Barrylu

Here are some pictures of mine I think it is a s model.

Attached Files:

9. LookingGlass

LookingGlass Well-Known Member

These guys are expensive and I believe you can find a USA product that will meet your needs. I recommend you look at Georgetown Pottery - some of the best products on the market with good prices. Also, there are a number of artisan potters on Etsy (Paul Buti, Pottersong, Doug Smith) that have good products at reasonable prices.

However, if money is not a factor go for it!!!

10. huckelberry hound

Barrylu, your water heating system sounds interesting. I would love to visit Germany someday. please let me know what your thoughts are on the DirtyBird.

11. Barrylu

For me the Dirty Bird meets my needs. I can put it in the microwave or pour in boiling water from a kettle with no worries. However aesthetically the SWK has it all over the dirty bird. In addition, heat transfer for the SWK is much better. If I could get my water just a bit hotter the SWK would win hands down. The advantage to the hot water system I have is there is no energy lost to heating water constantly which does not get used. My gas bill which includes a gas stove and oven seldom exceeds $42 Mo. Another advantage is only the hot water gets heated. If someone is showering in one part of the house and another party flushes a toilet there is no change to the temperature in the shower.
    Hanzo I am going to France in November. To celibrate I am buying a Plisson bone handle High Mountain white Monday. Got a lead from Ben on a savings.

Adonis and Hanzo like this.
  12. huckelberry hound

Amen Hanzo. I'm happy to know that your happy with yours. The XL model is what I have my heart set on, my Becker was huge and I loved how much water it held. I'm looking forward to my new scuttle and soap lid. I believe I'll be going with classic white.

Hanzo likes this.
  13. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Those SWKs are truly beautiful…and functional.
    Some day….. ;)

14. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

Barry, I won't be borrowing that Plisson, I couldn't handle all that luxury. lol Enjoy your trip!!

15. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

I have some european made bowls and a scuttle and none have issues with microwave and/or boiling water so I wouldn't say you can favor US made ones on that account over EU made.

16. Barrylu

I mean no dis-respect to EU made pottery. The potter at SWK warns repeatedly not to microwave or put boiling water in his scuttle. Whereas the US made scuttles like Dirty Bird and Georgetown stress their scuttles are microwave safe and will accept boiling water.

17. tuxxdk

No disrespect taken, Barrylu.

I just understood that it was EU vs. US, which is not the case, it's merely the clay and production method used, and not where it's made that matter. Dirtybird and Georgetown accepts boiling and MW, not because they are from the US but because they are made to that specification. Same as with my German scuttle that does the same and the one mentioned here that does not - standards and specification, not origin.

18. tuxxdk

Actually SWK states they can withstand MW.

"All our items are wheel-thrown and hand-crafted from stoneware clay. They are fired in an oxidizing atmosphere at 1220°C. The glazes are food, microwave and dishwasher safe."

I wouldn't be scared to put boiling water in'em, although I see no use at all for such hot water.

19. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

That's because Fahrenheit numbers are so much higher than Celsius :taunt002:

LookingGlass likes this.
  20. redbeard

redbeard Member

I love the looks of those Georgetown scuttles, kinda pricey IMO but they are absolutely gorgeous!!