SE Gem blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BBS, Jul 16, 2018.

?

What is your preferred Gem SE blade?

1. Carbon Steel

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  2. Blue Carbon Steel

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  3. Stainless Steel

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  4. PTFE coated Stainless Steel

13 vote(s)
    76.5%
  1. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

What is your prefered blade for Gem or modern Gem equivalent SE razors?

I've only used stainless steel and PTFE coated stainless steel blades thus far. The PTFE were my preferred blade.

2. CarlfromMO

CarlfromMO Well-Known Member

I have only used CVS blades. They are carbon steel (they rust if not patted dry), and the package says "Blades made in USA".
    They seem fine to me.
    I am curious to see what the more experienced guys say.

Paul76 and BBS like this.
  3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I have become a big fan of Carbon Steel.

4. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Me too. I got few sampler packs from tryablade awhile back when I first got an SE but haven't gotten to the carbon blades yet.

5. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

My two favorites would be Treet Super carbon blades and Gem Stainless blades.

6. Brickman301

Brickman301 Well-Known Member

Right now I’m with you, but my favorite used to be blue carbon steel ones. I just can’t seem to find them at a decent price, I’m willing to spend.

7. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Try Ted Pella.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  8. Brickman301

Thanks. I’ll check that out. I knew that carried the PTFE blades, but not the blues.

9. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I'll shoot you a pm with the link.

10. Brickman301

:happy088:

11. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

They also carry double edge blades, one of the few vendors I know of that have Feather DE carbon steel blades.

12. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

PTFE for me. Smooth and comfortable.

13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I am a carbon steel guy all the way. They start smoother and are just awesome to me. Even having to dry them. I buy Treet 5 packs local. The CVS and RiteAid blades in the 10 blade vault are made by the company that bought ASR. Very good blades.

Don't bother. The bulk blue star or PAL blades like that are garbage for shaving.

14. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

The Cvs blades are what I have for my micromatic. They seem to give a good shave and are somewhat forgiving on not having the best technique.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  15. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

+1 I have about 150 of these left if you really want to try they, but they are not a comfortable shave for me.

16. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I like the first shave of carbon blades, but never use them as they are too much work for me. I am not a fan of removing blades from a razor and drying after each shave.

The PTFE ones work nicely for me with the Clog Pruf. I really don't need to look any further.

PLAla, Frijolero, wchnu and 1 other person like this.
  17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Yup. Carbons can be maintained past a shave or two but it really isn't worth doing. PTFE is just so dang smooth and efficient, I don't think I have any SE carbons anymore that aren't pulling scraper duty.

PLAla, Frijolero and PanChango like this.
  18. GADback

GADback Well-Known Member

I don't find the shave comfort or quality between carbon and stainless to be much different. But I forgot to take a carbon out of my razor one morning after shaving and it was a rusty mess after work. Ever since then, I've only used stainless.

Frijolero and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  19. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Most of us get as many shaves from CS as SS. I know I do. The SS is just too rough to start withfor me. Plus I just think CS is true to the older razors.

20. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Thanks for jumping in Andrew!!

Linuxguile likes this.