SE Gem blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BBS, Jul 16, 2018.

?

What is your preferred Gem SE blade?

1. Carbon Steel

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  2. Blue Carbon Steel

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  3. Stainless Steel

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  4. PTFE coated Stainless Steel

13 vote(s)
    76.5%
  1. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

For anyone who has tried the uncoated stainless steel blades. Did they have a prickly type feel on the face when shaving with them?

2. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

the uncoated SS are made by Personna same as the PTFE coated ones. What I found was that not just the SS uncoated but also the rest of the line up GEM from Personna are not made for shaving, they all seem too dull for my taste. Now the PTFE they are on a whole other level and I don't think it has to do anything with them being coated, they are just sharp and made for removing body hair. If I had to guess why are they coated is probably because they are so sharp that it can be felt on the first shave even though they are coated, the coating is there to make them little more smoother and maybe it prolongs the life of the blade. The PTFE in my opinion are the sharpest of all Gem blades out there and longest lasting.

I personally did like the Blue Star and 2nd place took the Treet brand, they are both carbon steel not blue steel. They both performed great, they were sharp and smooth, they didn't last as long as the PTFE though. The only problem I had with these blades was that carbon steel rust when gets in touch with water, even though I was drying up the blades after every shave they had minimal rust to them. I noticed after 2-3 shaves in a row with carbon blade I started getting reaction from the degrading metal, nothing new to me! for example it took me a while to realize why some belt buckles were giving me bad irritation on the places where they touch my skin. My skin don't like metal particals that they break down, I get an allergic reaction.

So naturally the PTFE was the way to go with me so I stacked 400 from Connaught and they cost me like $16 for 100 of them after I included 300 PTFE Perfonna injector blades and got free shipping. I have tried all GEM and Injector blades out there, turns out at least in my case the Personna PTFE GEM and Injector ones are the sharpest, smoothest and longest lasting and cheapest too! Gotta love Personna!

CarlfromMO likes this.