SE / GEM Shaving Tips & Tricks

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by richgem, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

I got a nice close 3-pass shave with my first shave with this GEM "Featherweight". It is so light that I may have used a bit too much pressure. It bit me 3 times! After using the Hawk and such an easy shave, this little guy demands respect! It was all user error and me getting sloppy while trying to learn how this little razor behaves. Tomorrow will be better. Nicks were stopped with alum bar and I got plenty of feedback from the alum bar. Lesson learned and will adjust the shave tomorrow. I used GEM blade.

Under the nose was more difficult with this razor.

DSCN7245.JPG

Trigger and brit like this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

@Hogie Hope you get it to work for you. I had one and didn't like it for the very reason you mention - too light. I PIF'd it.

Trigger, Hogie and brit like this.
  3. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

The 1912 Star is out for delivery so, I will be able to see how a blade fits in that. Blade may be loose in that razor. I have 2 Ten-Packs of stainless blades. GEM blades.

brit likes this.
  4. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

The 1912 Star. Not sure of the date. Blade seems to fit nicely so, I have pulled blade from the GEM and will use the Star tomorrow. It feels niceer in my hand and it's also an Open Comb.

DSCN7296.JPG DSCN7297.JPG

Ursa and Ron R like this.
  5. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

As to #9, I just do North-to-South under that.