SE guys?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by wchnu, Dec 1, 2008.

1. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Kinda new around these parts and heard there were some SE guys here. Who prefers the SE to a DE? And what's your favorite?

Mine is 1910 Gem. Love that thing. No I LOVEEEEEE that thing,.:rolleyes:

Fuzzy

2. The Zook

The Zook New Member

I have a couple, never used them though. :scared003

3. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I enjoy them once in a while. My favorites so far are the G Bar, Damaskine (sp?) and 1912.

4. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

Welcome to TSD Fuzzy,

I am one who likes the SE razors. Though not enough to make them my one and only style. I have 10 SE razors dating from a '07 GEM Jr. to a GEM Contour & Featherweight. I do love them especially the lather catcher type which is what you have with the '10 GEM.

The real SE guru around these parts and also at SMF is D.Irving79. I am sure he will see this thread shortly and will reply. If you have any questions I would direct them to him.

5. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

I have a 1912 Gem and ER. A 1940 Gem. A 1912 Gem with no hood that shaves better than anything.

I have a couple of wedges too that I like.

Using personna Gem blades.

6. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

Happy Monday Rodd,

Will that GEM Damaskene take modern SE blades?

7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I also wonder how many of the SE guys prefer open combs DE to other DE's. Ihave a 27-28 NEW standard that Is the only DE i use anymore. Maybe i am just weird.

Fuzzy

8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Dave and I are friends. That 1910 I have belonged to him. It stared in his youtube video on how to load a blade in a lather catcher Gem.

Fuzzy

and thanks for the welcome

9. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

ive never used a single edge razor. or a DE. i shave with an empty campbells soup can. tomato.

10. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

Yeah right!!

I suppose all those razors listed in your signature are just ones you would not want to shave with rather than razors you own and do shave with often.

I suppose the next youtube video you will do is showing us how to make DE and SE blades from soup can lids. :happy102

11. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Sorry, I did not see the question til now. Yes, they use standard single edge blades, but inside the head it says "use only Gem Damaskene blades"

12. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Still working to get my hands on an SE. Eventually. They look interesting though and there seem to be enough people who like them. DEs are still cheaper though.

13. Truckman

Truckman New Member

I'm supposed to act surprised when my mother-in-law gives it to me for Christmas, but I've got what I believe to be a 1912 GEM travel coming to me. It's got an old rusty Treet blade, an old rusty GEM blade, and a wrapped up "Mystery Edge" blade in the case with it. I'm looking forward to trying it out. It will be my first SE razor....

At the same shop I picked up a box of 6 ("6 for 40ยข") still in their cardboard sleeves Ever Ready "Radio Steel" SE blades....

14. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

awesome razor. youll like it, trust me.

15. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

I shave almost exclusively with SE razors: a Gem G-Bar and a Gem Micromatic with open comb.

My favorite razor/blade combo is the G-bar and Pal Super carbon steel blades. This setup delivers the most comfortable shave I've ever experienced. It's also very easy and forgiving to use. It's just as quick and easy to use, in fact, as a modern cartridge razor. Unlike a multi-blade razor, though, it never, ever irritates my sensitive neck.

16. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

The 1912 travel will be a good one for you. I have like 3 of those now heh... So Dave how many shaves do you get from the soup can.

Fuzzy

17. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

usually 8. my face has gotten used to the part where it gets rusted.

18. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

:happy102:happy096

Fuzzy

19. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

Umm, what does one use to strop a soup can?

20. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

a metal file :)