Searching for the perfect razor.

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by newb, Feb 24, 2012.

1. newb

newb Resident Newb

I've spent much time over the last few years searching for the perfect razor, perfect blades, perfect brush, perfect soap and perfect cream. Luckily, I'm a collector so my case of R.A.D. has been quite enjoyable. I though have never found that perfect set up that stops my quest. Truth is there is possibly no perfect set up. The perfect shave comes with experience and technique. You can't buy it, it's not on ebay.

Today was a very enlightening day for me. I while packing up to move, found my old travel shaving bag from a few years ago. In it was a pro glide (1st generation I might add) with a new blade. Hmmm, heck it may be sacrilegious, but I gave it a whirl. In my memory the pro glide gave an average shave at best, it was nothing that compares to the shaves I get on a daily basis using all my awesome equipment.

So I lathered up with cheap old Arko, used my Turkish HH#6 (there are haters of this brush out there but I Love it, BTW), and went at with the over priced pro glide. Well I have to say the Pro Glide delivered a shave, that is on par with the BEST shaves I've ever had. Wow, no wheepers, no irritation, and BBS in all those difficult areas. Friends it doesn't get any more BBS than this. And it was very, very easy.:sick007: I did use my acquired techniques for the the shave. It was a simple two pass WTG, ATG shave. With a little blade buffing in those difficult areas and some skin stretching. My lather was good and slick, and far better than the canned goo I once used. Plus I used a lite touch. It's very hard to admit, but this is a hell-of-a good razor when combined with proper technique.

TSD Member " Rene" signature was "Skill is acquired by practice, not by purchase"
    It is so true. Any set up used has the ability to give that perfect shave. But it all depends on your skill. You can't buy the perfect razor, it's something you earn.

2. coche1

coche1 Actively Wishing Member

I'm glad you posted this! I've been afraid to admit it (to my wife, to myself, and to the wet shaving, DE using community) but my best shave to-date was when I first started shaving with cream and a brush, before switching to a safety razor. It was a what I would not consider standard 3-pass shave; WTG, XTG, ATG; with shave cream bowl lathered with a brush and my old Gillette Mach3 Power. I have not yet achieved a shave as good or close as that shave. I am not yet convinced, however, that I would be able to use that razor every day like I am able to use my DE89L, but it absolutely gave me the best shave to-date.

Fortunately, I am only about a half-dozen or so blades into my search for 'the one' with 1 more brand to try at home and 15 or so more in the mail...

Conrad1959 likes this.
  3. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

I have been wet shaving for nearly two years. Personally the perfect razor, blade, soap, brush, is what I am using for that day. I love the variety, I love trying new soaps, different blades, and the variety of DE razors in my den.

My quest has never been to find THE perfect in wet shaving, mine has always been about the enjoyment and the fun of wet shaving each morning. Personally if I went on the quest to seek the perfect in wet shaving it would then become a chore, no longer enjoyable.

Conrad1959, Dridecker and macaronus like this.
  4. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I tried a similar expieriment the other day but mine was with software not hardware. Barbasol delivered as comfortable a shave as I get with a lot of the different products I've tried but, the lather from Cella, MWF and Williams beats it in the glide department.

On the OP's subject, I've never been about the perfect shave but about finding the most comfortable and acceptable shave I can get and alleviate my propensity for razor bumps and ingrowns. I've reached that point after almost 2 years of trial and error.:happy036:

Conrad1959 and CyanideMetal like this.
  5. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I wasn't searching when I found TWS, or when it found me (thanks Dad), but I've certainly found a far superior way to do it, IMO, than what I was using with disposable carts. Much more comfort and a lot less cheap of a feeling about the whole process.

6. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Fantastic! one must remember it's the journey that's important; not the destination!

macaronus likes this.
  7. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

They weren't bad with new blades, I'll give them that. But trying to get 3 days out of a Mach 3 or Fusion cartridge was damn near impossible no matter what I did. Plus the end result (If you don't count any AD's), is much more in savings. It was almost cheaper I recall to throw the whole razor set out and buy a new gillette starter set each week than it was to just stick with new blades for those things.

No matter how good the shave is, I'm sticking with traditional shaving. My bank account is just hoping I don't have an itch to jump on straight razors or SE's just yet...

macaronus likes this.
  8. RockHolger

RockHolger New Member

Sounds excactly as when u r searching the perfect cigar. Fact is that the perfect cigar is the one ur having right now.

macaronus likes this.
  9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I couldn't have expressed it better. Thank you, Brad.

macaronus likes this.
  10. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Right indeed! Now I shave 'the old fashioned way' it's become really enjoyable. I'm already looking out for my next shave tomorrow. Visited a antique shop today, saw some razors and thought: "No need for now, I'm enjoying myself enough as it is!"

I guess the perfect combination doesn't exist. You make it yourself by your attitude, just by enjoying yourself! Happy shavings! :)

swarden43 and CyanideMetal like this.
  11. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

"Truth is there is possibly no perfect set up. The perfect shave comes with experience and technique. You can't buy it, it's not on ebay.".. That "ebay" line is GREAT newb and I think you've hit the nail on the razor head. Yes we can get a whole lot of help out of specific variations of our tools and can eventually reach some kind of consensus in preferences if you will.. but in the end it takes an experienced hand to hold that sledgehammer down...

12. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Well put Brad! :happy096:

13. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

:signs011: :happy096:

14. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I similarly tried Proglide again after 3 months of using vintage and new DE and SE razors. I was getting lots of irritation, so I tried my last Proglide and had a great BBS shave with 2 passes. My first pass with Proglide is closer than shaving with a Merkur 38C Barberpole HD. So I am shaving with a DE and a Proglide for a while.

15. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Different horses for different courses... The variety of the shave experience that's the important thing.

(think Kierkegaard said that(;-))