Second Razor?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Jim99, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I'm enjoying my no name Soligen SR and, even though I'm not at a point that I'm getting DFS, I'm getting better at it.

So, what should I look for in a second razor? Square point versus round? Vintage versus new? Soligen versus Sheffield? I like the jimps top and bottom as I have on my current Soligen.

I would prefer vintage over new and I do want to keep the cost low ($50+/-).

Any recommendations on what to look for?

RyX and Robyflexx like this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

Out of the way Antique shops! Thrift stores. Flea markets. Old straight can be had for less that a twenty spot. But the hones are going to set you back.

Robyflexx and Jim99 like this.
  3. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Your in the Tech or Super Speed price range and with some hard shopping and a little luck, a Red Tip.

Jim99 likes this.
  4. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Aim for Sheffield or maybe American steel @Jim99 give yourself a chance to experience the differences
    An old Sheffield with a heavier grind will really feel different on the face, I said different, not better :) that will be decided by you and you alone..
    The Vintage Americans especially the NY brands can take and hold a wickedly keen edge, now myself I love that, other people might not like that
    Swedish razors also have a unique feel on the face especially if you can find a Frameback

Hope that helps :)

Drygulch and Jim99 like this.
  5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

They made a Red Tip str8???

:lyrtuy5:

'65 G-Slim, Jim99 and Robyflexx like this.
  6. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

:happy097:

Jim99 likes this.
  7. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Swarden, I'm glad you said it. I was pretending I didn't see that reply.

swarden43 and Robyflexx like this.
  8. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

There are a lot of different types of straight razors. My goal is to get one of each. :)

ninjack, Jim99 and Robyflexx like this.
  9. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

I'd like to see the blade gap on that.