Seeking advice on new purchase

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Robyflexx, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Hello Gentlemen, so after shaving for 3 months with a vdh de I took the plunge yesterday and purchased a lot of 2 each Gillette 1955 a4 tto and a Gillette 1964 j2 tto adjustable 1-9 on an eBay auction what should I look for out of each model in terms of shave quality and ease of use etc?.. I have included a pic. Thanks to all in advance

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
    Turk, Kizurra and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

The Super Speed will be mild yet efficient, a razor everyone should have IMHO. The Slim is a adjustable which is nice because you can adjust the blade gap according to your liking, both are Twist to Open meaning you'll load in blade from the top, less likely to cut your finger. With the Slim start at say 3 and work your way up. Congrats on some nice razors!

Boojum1, Kizurra, Jim99 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Robyflexx

4. Robyflexx

So glad I joined this forum thank you for your input will def start at 3 :happy088:

Kizurra and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  5. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

The last quarter when tightening the blade might not be obvious as it takes a bit more strength to turn. If you do not turn this last quarter, the shave will be unnecessary rough.

Kizurra, BigCabDaddy and Robyflexx like this.
  6. Robyflexx

Committed to memory, thank you sir!

Kizurra likes this.
  7. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

8. Robyflexx

My bad you are correct sir

9. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Congrats. Two very fine razors and a both are great introductions to vintage razors.

Spud and Robyflexx like this.
  10. Robyflexx

Thank you clint64 at 23 bucks I felt comfortable making this purchase.

11. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

both great razors, your in for a treat.
    and don't call me sir.
    when people call me sir,I turn around and look for my dad.
    I've said it before, prolly will again. if you master a mild shaver, like the super speed. you'll have arrived in technique.

ilts, Kizurra and Robyflexx like this.
  12. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

That's a good deal. Please keep us posted on your thoughts after using the razors.

Kizurra and Robyflexx like this.
  13. Robyflexx

Thank you David with that input I feel even more confident about this purchase. Very exciting!

Kizurra likes this.
  14. Robyflexx

Will do for sure

Kizurra likes this.
  15. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

Another quick tip about the slim, or any adjustable for that reason, don't turn the adjustment knob while the doors are closed. Loosen them when setting the dial.

2 nice additions. congrats and enjoy.

16. Robyflexx

Great info thank you JR :)

17. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I agree about adjusting with doors open, but be prepared to be rebuked. I was.

Robyflexx likes this.
  18. Robyflexx

Hi gents, following up on my previous post I received both razors yesterday both are in perfect working order the super speed had a bit of squeaking when twisting I remedied this by inserting a few drops of olive oil into the access hole at the handles tail end with an eye drop dispenser and it worked beautifully. I did not post pics because after cleaning them up they aren't much to look at. This mornings shave was with the super speed and what a treat it was. The mild nature of it afforded me the opportunity to make a couple of different passes on my neck after some mapping which gave me a more comfortable way of achieving the smoothness I seek. This razor truly is a must have. Tomorrow I will sample the slim and post results. I will start with a setting of 3 as instructed by RazorBurn123 and will post results. I thank you all for your help and knowledge this truly is a great community full of knowledgeable people who are friendly and helpful I am very happy to be here. :)

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
    Kizurra and Jim99 like this.
  19. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

You're new 'round these parts, ain'tcha son?
    We got rules - no pics, didn't happen.

;)

Enjoy your new toys! :happy088:

20. Robyflexx

Yes I am and new to de as well I'm 3 months in I'll post a pic of these old guys. Thx