(Semi-Local) Taconic Shave Soap Review

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by StormyWeather, Jul 19, 2019.

1. StormyWeather

StormyWeather Well-Known Member

Puck weight: 4oz
    Type: Solid puck
    Water used: Hard (maybe very hard?)
    Scent: Eucalyptus Mint
    Brush: Perfecto Bager Hair
    Razor: Rockwell 6C (Setting 3)
    Blade: Astra SP
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Scent (8/10): I actually really liked this scent. It sort of smells like a fresh stick of mint gum or something. Not much of a cooling menthol, probably about as low as you can get, so there likely isn't a ton of peppermint oil in this (if any?)

Lather ability (3/10): Lather time, I'd say it's maybe average. It didn't instantly turn into a mountain of lather, and it wasn't an overly thirsty soap either. However, the lather it did generate was really light and airy. I could feel the popping bubbles on my face, and it just overall felt rather thin for what I could get on my face. I even went back at the end and hand lathered from a rinsed and shook brush to see if I maybe went wrong somewhere, carefully adding water, but I had the same result.

Slickness (3/10): This is miles away from a good tallow soap or TOBS / GFT / Truefitt. Definitely below average slickness overall, but by how much I'm on the fence about. Oil and a tad of water would've probably worked just as well.

Post-Shave (2/10): I didn't really feel anything was left behind here between passes, let alone at the end of the shave. The stuff was pretty thin, so it came out of my brush nearly instantly on rinsing. I definitely had to follow with a balm.

I really wanted to like this soap. It's made actually somewhat locally to me, but isn't quite a true small batch soap. The parent company for Taconic is Howi, which, to my knowledge, produces Parker products, and runs the site for "Super Safety Razors" as well.

While I hate to hand out another low score to someplace locally, it just isn't a good shave soap. The packaging was nice, the smell was actually quite good, but I once again can't recommend this as a great shave soap. It was maybe slightly better than my review of Simply Bee, in that the bubbles were slightly smaller / the lather was a little denser, but it wasn't a huge difference between the two.

Considering it only has a good scent going for it, I can't recommend it given it lacks basically all major areas a shave soap should have outside of that. Hopefully the cream fairs better in my next review from them.

Overall (3/10)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    RyX, brit and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  2. StormyWeather

StormyWeather Well-Known Member