Semogue 1250 vs 1305?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Latherman87, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Latherman87

Latherman87 Well-Known Member

Are they the same brush just different cosmetic characteristics? I notice they both match their numbers via height,loft and knot diameter. Anyone own both of these to gimme a good low down?

2. redrako

redrako Active Member

I own both the Semogue 1305 and the 1250.

Although they share the same handle with the 1305 handle being painted and the 1250 having a clear finish. The knot for each brush has different boar bristle.

Out of the box, the Semogue 1305 has softer "Premium" bristle. Some have suggested that this brush was designed to feel more like a soft badger brush.

The 1250 uses "Best" grade of bristle, a somewhat stiffer, thicker grade of boar hair.

Comparing the two, I would have to say that the 1305 has a bit more hair packed in the knot and blooms to a larger knot. In terms of effectiveness, this is not to say that the 1305 is better than the 1250, but simply different. In fact, I find myself reaching for the 1250 more often than the 1305.

I like them both very much and find them to be wonderful for soaps and shave sticks in particular. I can't imagine using any other brush for Mitchell's Wool Fat, or any other soap for that matter.

Like all boar brushes, these get better with use, imo although they are usable right out of the box, they really reach their peak after several weeks of regular use. Frankly to choose between the two brushes, you can't make a bad choice. You are looking at a win/win situation.

alpla444 likes this.
  3. Latherman87

Latherman87 Well-Known Member

Thank you for your input! I am actually going to put both of them on my christmas list for my wifey lol I wanted both of them anyways

alpla444 likes this.
  4. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Don't forget to put the 1800 on the Christmas list too, it's a sweet brush.

5. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I have a 1305 and love it. I got it broken in pretty fast and the dead animal smell went away within a couple of weeks. I wanted a nice boar brush that wasn't too expensive, and I'm very pleased with this brush after 3 months of ownership.

6. redrako

redrako Active Member

+1