Semogue 1305 repair

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by mrdrakeness, Feb 23, 2016.

1. mrdrakeness

mrdrakeness Active Member

Like many of you, I have in my den a Semogue 1305 that I enjoy. This was my first specific brush purchase (I started out with a starter kit from Classic Shaving) and it's now nicely broken in.

Unfortunately mine took a spill a few months back and the paint on the handle was damaged. I've had it kicking around since and hadn't been using it much so I decided to see what I could do about making it presentable again.

I started by looking around online for a replacement handle, be it new or vintage. There were many that caught my eye but most were well above the cost of a new 1305. So I decided "to do what I could, where I am, with what I have" (I think Roosevelt said that!)... I did some rummaging and came up with a Dremel, sanding bit, 180 grit sand paper, Minwax "Special Walnut" stain, and a can of spray-on poly.

Now I know this isn't anything overly exciting like a newly refurbished vintage brush or a handmade custom, however here are the results of my improvisation:

[​IMG]

2. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Okay wow. Nice show of the wood.

Me like.

mrdrakeness likes this.
  3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I love the 1305. I think you did a great job adding beauty and new life to yours.

Tedolph, mrdrakeness and theFAT98 like this.
  4. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

Way to save it. Nice job

Tedolph, mrdrakeness and Jayaruh like this.
  5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Nice!
    And I disagree. It was refinished by hand, thus hand made, finished in a manner of your choosing, thus custom.
    Ergo, reason to get excited! :bounce015:

mrdrakeness likes this.
  6. waddowedonowmo

waddowedonowmo Well-Known Member

Very nice !!!

mrdrakeness likes this.
  7. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I think it looks better than when new. Great job.

mrdrakeness likes this.
  8. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

awesome work

mrdrakeness likes this.
  9. gregkw1

gregkw1 Well-Known Member

Gee whiz I'm kind of wishing mine would start falling apart

mrdrakeness and PLANofMAN like this.
  10. KLF

KLF Doctorin

I have the same problem with my 1305 and I want to try something similar. What can I use instead of a Dremel, which I don't have ?

mrdrakeness likes this.
  11. gregkw1

gregkw1 Well-Known Member

You can take it drill put a sanding wheel on it and gently sand off the paint down to the wood use some fine grit sandpaper to get it really smooth,stain it, clear coat it you're done

mrdrakeness and KLF like this.
  12. KLF

KLF Doctorin

This forum is expensive, I just bought a Dremel :). Actually a cheap 30$ chinese knockoff, but still...

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
    mrdrakeness likes this.
  13. mrdrakeness

The Dremel is definitely you're best bet. The cream-colored portion is more of an enamel than paint and I couldn't imagine trying to remove it all by hand. Best of luck with your brush, look forward to seeing how it comes out!

KLF likes this.
  14. mrdrakeness

WOW!! Thank you all so much for the kind words... I may have to start breaking more stuff:scared011::signs001:

15. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

Good job. You can continue to use the best boar knot on the market.

Tedolph, Jayaruh, KLF and 1 other person like this.
  16. mrdrakeness

Thank you, sir! That is certainly the plan.

Redrock and Jayaruh like this.
  17. LaSalle82

LaSalle82 Well-Known Member

I loved my 1305 but the paint chipped off so I PIF'd a wonderfully broken-in 1305 to my friend. Replaced it with the Owner's Club as painted Semogue's (although beautiful) are just too delicate

160207.jpe

mrdrakeness and theFAT98 like this.