Semogue 610

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by shave/brush, Aug 13, 2014.

1. shave/brush

shave/brush Active Member

I ordered a Semogue 610 and should have it today. I can't wait to try it. I just started face lathering (I use to just bowl lather) and I've read so much about the 610 and 620 and how they seem to be the best for face lathering, I just had to try it.
    Right now I'm using a Plisson synthetic and it's really good. I want to compare the 610 to it. From what I read it takes about 15 shaves to break in. I got the red/clear one.

Attached Files:

Doryferon likes this.
  2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Welcome to face-lathering. Great brush.

3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Semogue makes great brushes. Good choice!

4. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I have a 610 with a black handle, it took me around a month or so, but one morning BOOM - silvertip soft. Awesome brush.

5. shave/brush

Good to hear I made a good choice. I can't wait to try it on Thursday. I just shave every other day. I soaked it today so it would have a least one wet & dry cycle on it before I use it.

6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    You could do some test lathering for the fun of it even if you don't shave. It will help get out any funk if there is any, and it will assist in breaking it in. Plus, as I said, it is fun.

7. shave/brush

I sometimes will make lather in my hand to test the lather and assist in the break in time. Also as you said, it's always fun to lather.

8. NRod

NRod Member

I just got a 620 the other day, I've only shaved with it once but I loved it right away. It was pretty soft out of the box, I can't wait for it to get broken in!

9. shave/brush

The 620 and the 610 are kind of like sister brushes. From what I have read on these forums they perform pretty much the same. I will use my 610 tonight. I can't wait. I want to use it for face lathering but I think for the first shave I will bowl lather to give the bristles a chance to break in a little.

10. NRod

NRod Member

Good idea, i face lathered and flung shaving cream all over the mirror. Good times. :)

11. shave/brush

It took be several tries to get the hang of using a shave stick to face lather. Now that I finally got it, it's a nice change once in awhile. Also an excuse to buy more stuff.

12. DistantDave

DistantDave New Member

Congrats on the new Semogue! I bought a 620 a few weeks ago and I love it already! I've been using it every other day to encourage split ends. Let us know how it goes.

13. shave/brush

I only shave every other day but I soak it every day to speed up the breaking in and split ends. I've heard so much about these two brushes, 610 & 620 I can't to try it tonight.

14. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I don't know but,
    I think just soaking your brush won't get you broke in the way you want. I think use is the key to softening and splitting the ends. just normal use.
    it may be bad for your knot seat to soak it repeatedly.
    again I'm not an expert. but I would advise patients and normal use.
    I have a620 and am very pleased with it. good luck with yours

15. shave/brush

When I soak it I am doing the same thing you would do before using it anyway. I believe what causes the ends to split is the drying out process. Granted that using it is even better but I don't shave everyday. I don't have a heavy beard which I regret now that shaving is my hobby.

16. david of central florida

is it true that shaving often will cause your beard to thicken?

17. shave/brush

I don't think there is any truth to that. Some people have thicker beards and thicker hair but that is all what you are born with. Gillette was the expert on shaving and beards. I once read an article that said Gillette knew how much your beard grows in a year. They knew everything about shaving.

18. david of central florida

I think your right
    we have what we have

I have heard that, thought I would kick it out there see what folks say.
    I think your right though

19. shave/brush

I think most will agree that the 610 is the best for face lathering. It even beats the SOC. The 610 has the right combination of knot size 21 mm and loft size 50 mm to make a perfect face lathering brush.

20. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

@shave/brush - enjoy your Semogue !
    Some photos with the knot bloomed after some weeks will be great to see.