Semogue or Omega?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by BigMark, Jun 16, 2014.

1. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

I am looking to purchase a Boar but unsure whether I should get a Semogue or Omega. Which of the two is more ergonomic would you say ?

2. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I have a Semogue 1305. It's a fantastic brush. I also have an Omega. The 1305 would be a solid performer.

4. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

For the last year I would have said Semogue. I just bought an Omega (The Proraso rebrand) and its BLOODY AWESOME. I think it has real potential and when you consider price - Omega may just win hands down. I think I didn't give my old Omegas a fair shot.

BigMark likes this.
  5. BigMark

You Canadians say bloody?

6. Neolithium

Course I do :p now buy an Omega! ;)

Bristle Me and BigMark like this.
  7. Neolithium

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402968969.235852.jpg

Size comparison for you:

Semogue 610, SOC, Proraso (10083) and Omega 10005

dominpe, Doryferon and Omelmad like this.
  8. BigMark

I just loathe those cheap looking metal rings in the omegas.

9. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

they're not metal they're black plastic...

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  10. Neolithium

Omega is on the right. Those are plastic. Left side is Semogue and they are indeed metal.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  11. BigMark

I Might get the 1305.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  12. BigMark

whatever , they look cheap, cheap enough to scare me away.

13. Neolithium

Don't confuse Omegas inexpensive pricing with ridiculous performance ;) I had the same thoughts as you a year ago and 2 Omegas later I'm rethinking it ;) They are cheap enough that you can get an Omega and Semogue though, break them both in and make your own choice.

14. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

Get one of each.

15. BigMark

You are making this more complicated than it needs to be. My northern neighbor ;).

16. BigMark

Perhaps eventually.

Kilgore Trout likes this.
  17. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I'll add my 2ยข
    The Omegas are the most affordable of the boars I've owned (I think I paid $12 for one, and the other was free with a soap purchase).
    Both are outstanding performers that can be somewhat mopish at times, but overall, I enjoy using them as a regular part of the rotation. The handles are larger, smooth to the touch, and I find them ergonomically rather appealing.
    The Semos tend to be stouter (more backbone), but I'm not as keen on the smaller handles. The SOC cherry handle was probably my favorite of the Semos as far as comfort in the hand. BTW: I've sold off two of these brushes: the Semo SOC & Tricolor, and kept the other three. ;)

Omega 10048; Semogue 830 Pure Bristle, Omega 10049, Semogue Owners Club Pure Bristle Cherry handle, Semogue Limited Edition Tricolor 1305
    [​IMG]

Doryferon likes this.
  18. Neolithium

No doubt about the good ergonomics of the Owners Club/1305 style handles, I just find the 10048/10083 handle style from Omega a bit more comfy now, sits better in the palm when lathering.

19. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I find those Omega handles a little large to be comfortable. The Semogue 2000 has a similarly shaped handle but is smaller and works much better for me. I have some of both and right now I am in a Semogue mode as I really like that little mixed knot brush they made for Barbear Classico.

20. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I've never thought about ergonomics before. Honestly though, I love the feel and heft of my Omega 10049 compared to smaller handled brushes. I don't have particularly large hands but it feels good for me.

Bristle Me likes this.