Semogue Quick Poll

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Derhey, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Derhey

Derhey Well-Known Member

Debating between these two brushes and looking for quick feedback:

Semogue 830 vs. SOC (boar, probably cherry wood handle)

Do date, I have a Silvertip from Larry at Whipped Dog, a Plisson synthetic, and an Omega 80266 (basic boar). I have heard so many good things about the Semogue brushes and I would like something nicer than the Omega that I have already. Any feedback and/or opinions on which is better or which you would recommend/purchase yourself is appreciated. Thank you in advance!

D

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

What I deem better may not what you deem better.
    Get the one that catches your eye. Semogue is a good name so I'm sure either one will perform well.
    Buy the one you don't prefer over the other and you'll always wonder.

3. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I really like the Semogue acrylic handles. I have the 620 and the BC Mistura (wooden handle). They're both great brushes. Regarding your choice, go with the brush that aesthetically pleases you. Or, flip a coin. :thanks:

4. TheFiveO

TheFiveO Well-Known Member

It took me a while to warm up to mine, but I love it now. Don't over think it. Buy it, use it, if you like it... Keep it. If you don't like it, trade it, sell it or PIF it.

5. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Ive got the cherry handled SOC as well as several Omega's and like them all. Each is different, each is unique in their performance. Buy them both, I say.

6. Derhey

Derhey Well-Known Member

Thank you all. I will sleep on it and go with my first thought in the am. I appreciate all your thoughts.

D

7. Sly Diabo

Sly Diabo New Member

I have 4 Semogue brushes and I love all of them. My least favorite that I own is probably the 740 but I still like it.

8. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

They both require a good break in period, and I've been lucky enough to have both before. I felt like the SOC was a bit of a lather hog, and the knot feels big on the face. I like both handles, but would recommend the 830. You can probably snag a SOC on a BST for around $30 or less. Best of luck.

9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I've owned both. I sold one off; and kept the other.
    [​IMG]
    Both were rather unruly floppy boar knots that required some 'training.'

The 830 responded and developed into a fuller, soft-tipped brush that has enough back bone. Good performer!
    [​IMG]

The SOC refused to cooperate, remained stringy & floppy, and so we parted ways.

JR Reyes likes this.
  10. JR Reyes

Well said Kevin...my thoughts exactly.

11. TheFiveO

TheFiveO Well-Known Member

Kevin how'd you train it? My 1305 is awesome but could probably use a lil training

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Easy.
    Post-shave & brush clean-up, slide the brush into an empty toilet tissue tube. After a day or so, remove it and your brush will retain some density. Darkbulb posted a thread demonstrating the technique on his Semo SOC brush. I've had good success on most of my brushes.
    See thread HERE

13. LaSalle82

LaSalle82 Well-Known Member

I just bought an SOC cherry handle a few weeks ago which is still breaking in which I really like. I'm on the other end of the spectrum as I like my brushes a little more floppy. Right now I find the SOC quite stiff but should be fine. Anyway, it's my 3rd Semogue as I have a 1438 and PIF'd a 1305. Loved both brushes! If you're considering the SOC, there's a seller on eBay from Portugal (nanbantrader) selling the SOC for $26.50 with free shipping. That's where I bought mine and Carlos is a very reliable seller.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  14. Chuck F

Chuck F Cheesy! Big Curd style

With the weak Euro and a discount code that's floating around, you can get an SOC new from VintageScent.com in Portugal for around $20 including shipping to the U.S. Similar deals on other Semogues, too.

Sly Diabo likes this.
  15. Derhey

Derhey Well-Known Member

I will check it out...thank you Chuck! And thank you all so very much for your help.

D

16. Derhey

Derhey Well-Known Member

Just a quick update and thanks to everyone for their help. I went with a Semogue 830. Wow, what an absolute beauty! I think an SOC with be ordered soon. I can not believe how cheap the brush is for what you get. Thanks again all!

Sly Diabo, JR Reyes and Chuck F like this.
  17. JR Reyes

did it come with the two tone bristles or the blonde color boar hair?

18. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I The it isn't exactly what your asking but I do prefer Omega knots. The Semogue 2000 and SOC make excellent brushes. However, I like them shortened up a bit though. Here's a SOC. I will mess with this one more time. It's not quite right yet, IMO.
    [​IMG]
    Here's the 2000. It's good to go.
    [​IMG]

JR Reyes likes this.
  19. Derhey

Derhey Well-Known Member

JR, I got the two tone bristles...I kind of prefer that look I guess. Oscar, I have an Omega as well and it's a solid brush. It's fun trying new things out though! Nice looking brushes by the way!

oscar11 likes this.
  20. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I see some really wild boar knots around here. I have the Semogue 1305, and it is tame compared to many. I wonder, What am I doing wrong? Really though, it is soft and has plenty of backbone and is a wonderful face-lathering brush. It will lather in a bowl as well if it needs to.
    semogue_brush6.jpg

Tedolph likes this.