Sending my OneBlade Hybrid back

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jgreenepa, Nov 22, 2019.

1. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

Yes, you’re listening to him, the only guy who can cut himself with the unnickable OneBlade Hybrid razor. I’ve really been trying with this thing, but I have yet after two weeks been able to complete a shave with it. This morning I started a face shave until I cut myself rather badly under my right ear. Whipped out the Barbasol and finished the job with the rest of the shave having no issues. I think my problem is that I have never shaved with a cartridge razor in my life. I used a DE for half a century and never used a cartridge razor. I did use an electric on and off over the years when I was traveling on business, but that’s really the extent of it. I think this OneBlade is targeted at cartridge razor users. Apparently the technique is similar. I gave one to my stepson, and he’s been using it with no problem, but he was a cartridge user. This dang thing doesn’t work for me. If they won’t take it back I’ll probably just PIF both razors.
    I am beyond frustrated!

kjbarth and cliffb599 like this.
  2. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Im not familiar with it, but come on man, breathe deep give it another go, don't let a razor unnerve you. I'm sure you can master it. Half a century of shaving experience im sure you'll figure it out.

kjbarth likes this.
  3. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I've only received two razors I consider fails, One Blade Core was one. Sent it back.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

kjbarth likes this.
  4. jgreenepa

Not interested in continuing! I’ve spent two weeks on it! I have too many razors I enjoy shaving with. Thanks for the recommendation, but at my age I know when to fish or cut bait! :ban:

FSword, brit and kjbarth like this.
  5. jgreenepa

Well I guess I’ll join the club. Mine’s going back too. 12 attempts is more than fair! It’s too dang mild and when I press down as they direct, which goes against every shaving instinct I’ve developed over the years the dang thing bites me!

kjbarth and cliffb599 like this.
  6. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

I bought the OB Core on the $20 special. Within a day or so after receiving it, got the 'try the hybrid and genesis for $8' 14 day offer. Sent both those razors back at 12 days. Core now sits. PIF or traveling box, whenever I get around to it.

I did carts for ~36 years. Just started the DE path back in January this year. In May, went almost exclusive with Kamisoris (including a Feather AC DX) or Straights except when traveling.

The OB razors felt almost exactly like carts...needs pressure, but in a weird way (to me) to activate the pivot. Close shave? Yes, but the second strike was the proprietary blade system. The third was some niggly finish or machining issues around the pivot that should not exist on razors with price tags north of $130 (about the least you can get the Hybrid new with coupons).

jtspartan likes this.
  7. LaneP

LaneP Well-Known Member

I have a Hybrid and it doesn't get much use. The two problems for me are it is too mild and the blade choice is basically just the FHS-10. I did modify a Gem PTFE SE blade for it but that was even milder than the FHS-10 and I couldn't complete the shave because it was just too inefficient. If they designed it with just a tad more blade exposure it would probably be a great SE razor.

8. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Just wondering if some of the problem is caused by the blades. I never liked Feather blades in Auto-Strop razors. Had to work harder to get a good shave.

9. jgreenepa

Everybody raves about these razors, and I just don’t get it. I have been unable to get a decent shave in the two weeks I’ve been trying. When I get frustrated and pressed down which goes contrary to every shaving instinct I’ve developed over the last half century, I end up cutting myself. I’m sure this is a great razor for some people. It’s just too dang mild for me. I like a close efficient shave.

jtspartan likes this.
  10. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Not sure how your technique is with the Oneblade Hybrid but try shaving like a Gem or Eveready and apply a little pressure. I bought a Oneblade Core recently and it seems to work well and the shave is very smooth (post feel excellent). I watched a few videos and it seems the razor works the best with a little pressure at mid or back of razor head. Take some dry runs first and then try it with the blade.The first shave is the best and 2nd is Ok and 3rd for me the blade was tuggy and thats it- blade spent. The FHS-10 blade is sharp but does not last by design and I am experimenting a little with it still. If a person shaves once a week this razor would be ok, as a daily shaver it is a pricey shaver then because the blades are not cheap.
    I found the 1st and 2nd shave irritation free and 3rd shave with a blade ready to be tossed I picked up some irritation. The Hybrid & Genesis are a better razor than the core. I like my core and its a keeper for $19.95 with 10 blades and stand. It's not my favorite razor with 3 shaves in but it has some potential for me.

jgreenepa likes this.
  11. jgreenepa

I’m glad you like the razor, Ron. It’s just not for me. I’m not interested in being tied to expensive one razor only blades., and to put it even more simply, I just don’t enjoy using the razor. It feels bulky and ungainly compared to most of my other razors, and reminds me of the Oren razor by Classic Shaving w/o the pivot spring. As I thought about it, I think it’s the spring itself that I don’t like. In any case, I’m glad you like the razor. Use it and enjoy it. Mine’s going back.

Enjoy your shaves,

Jeff

Ron R likes this.
  12. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I had to send mine back too. Couldn't even get the blade inserted.

13. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

I bought one of the Core razors and it shaves very nicely for me with no problems. In fact I bought 3 at the $19.99 price special to give away. The blades are more expensive than DE blades, granted, but they are nowhere nowhere near as expensive as cartridges. And the shave is outstanding for me. Bloodless and smooth and as close as anything I've ever used for shaving without the ingrown hairs and the weeping blood and cuts. Actually I don't understand how you could cut yourself with the core razor unless you actually tried to do that? How long the plastic razor will last? I haven't a clue but I am careful when inserting the blade onto the razor. The blade clicks in place. I think in my hands the Core will last a long time? The pivot works great. I don't apply any hard pressure. The shave is much like an SE shave but without worrying about the perfect flat against your skin business. That's my experience. I don't get the cheapness complaint of the blades. They are Feather blades and they are extremely sharp. Only last 3 shaves for me but they are great shaves. I find the razor more pleasant and easier to use than any SE or DE razor I have ever used. Not as cheap but certainly for me without any rash or blood. So, not everyone is the same and I can understand that. And, I can de-spine a Gem blade and use it in the Core. The Gem blade lasts a lot longer but I don't think it is as smooth as the Feather SE blade? My opinion, of course. I don't think bad mouthing the One blade razor system is going to get rid of cartridge razors or make SE and DE razors return to the prominence they had in 1930's or 1940's? I hope the Company is successful for a long time. Longer than I will be around on this Earth?

jgreenepa likes this.
  14. jgreenepa

Joe:
    We appear to be the same vintage. I’m glad that the system works for you. It didn’t for me, and I did cut myself each time I attempted to use the razor. After each cut, I would put it away and grab one of my trusty DE’s or SE. i’m not trying to run OB down. There are many people who enjoy the razor like yourself, and that’s great. Every opinion I express applies only to myself. I would never speak for other people. But I did cut myself each time I used the razor. So as far as I’m concerned, it’s not the tool for me.

Respectfully,

Jeff

15. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

Good to hear. No argument here. What works fro one does not have to work for others. Use the tool that you like and what works for you. That goes for all of us!

jgreenepa and brit like this.