Sensitive neck

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Solitaryshaver_53, Jun 14, 2020.

1. Solitaryshaver_53

Solitaryshaver_53 New Member

Need some advice which is better for sensitive skin a slant so an open comb razor?

Sent from my 100003562 using Tapatalk

Enrico likes this.
  2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

It doesnt matter. But, both of those types tend to be aggressive. Try a milder razor,
    (Gillette Tech), apply less pressure, and only do one pass. Also, use a good aftershave with moisturizer in it, I prefer glycerol. Dont try multiple passes on the neck, especially if you have issues.

Edison Carter and Enrico like this.
  3. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I would say you need to stick with a razor with a safety bar until you learn to shave your neck as stated above. @DaltonGang suggested a Tech and that's a good choice.
    1) Map your neck hair.
    2) WTG pass ONLY
    3) Ultra-light touch
    4) Extreme shallow angle.

4. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

You need a razor that w0rks more like a planer than a scraper. DE razors are designed to be scrapers because of they are designed to shave at a steep angles so you'll always be dragging the blade across the skin like a scraper. Some are less irritating because of the blade gap and angle but if you do enough passes it will eventually irritate the skin so it is matter of tolerance the way you shave. You might find a milder DE better but the performance no so good or get both.

For scraper type of shaving
    Gillette 3pc Tech as mentioned is a good solid choice to try out. Tried and true razor that is still plentiful and cheap, mild and might give you the performance you are looking for.

Razors that work like planers work at a shallow angle and with the blade side almost riding the skin so the blade edge doesn't scrape along the skin. They may take longer to get a close shave since you are working on gradual hair reduction over multiple passes but because the blade edge doesn't scrape on the face to cut it means a lot less to no irritation. Some razors like this can be irritating though because of the aggressiveness of the razor head geometry.

For razors like these you don't have many options for DE, the only one I know of that works in this manner is a Shake Sharp but they are more of a collectors razor and will set you back some $$.

If you want to delve into SE razors then you have some really good cheap options in the Gem flat top razors. Any of the Featherweights, Push Button or Contour razors would be perfect for someone with sensitive skin. They are mild but very effective though it takes a few passes of gradual hair reduction. You put the razor flat to the face then angle in slightly using blade feel feedback. Frankly I think they would be the best solution for your problem and also happen to be some of the best milder razors ever made. You just need a little practice to get used to them and to use them correctly since technique is a little different from a DE razor.

Edison Carter and Droo78 like this.
  5. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

As far as slants goes they are a gimmick. Just take any razor and angle the blade and it will perform like a slant. Example on the wtg pass when the blade is up against the face rotate it then do your down stroke.

Edison Carter likes this.
  6. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:signs011:

I would add to the Tech razors the following

Vintage
    regular Flare
    Schick Krona
    Techs

Modern
    Merkur 34C
    Edwin Jagger 89D

My rule of thumb ..... Great looking razor don't always make it a great shave.

I only shave one pass and a buff and use a blade once ..... blades are cheap. Followed up with witch hazel wipe down to sooth the skin.

Works for me.

:eatdrink013:

Edison Carter and DaltonGang like this.
  7. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I tried a couple slants and in my personal opinion they're just a gimmick. They don't make the blade slice through whiskers any easier for me. In fact, I found the opposite to be true. You may have to do a little experimenting to find what helps you avoid irritation on your neck. For me, good prep to soften my whiskers is important. I also like razors with less blade exposure than most people like. Most of my favorites are adjustables that I turn down pretty low. A sharp blade helps me not have to take multiple swipes to clean up stubborn whiskers. Good soap that's slick and protective is really important too. Any one of those things being off can give me a rough shave but it's been years since I've had a really rough shave now.

Edison Carter likes this.
  8. Tweezak

Tweezak Member

I too suffer from neck rawness and weepers. I tried many blades in a mild RazoRock and couldn't stand shaving more frequently than every 3 days. Waiting a week was best. Then I broke my razor head by tightening the handle too much. I then discovered that RazoRock had replacement heads for $7. I ended up buying one of their "Yin Yang" razors. It comes with a mild head and an aggressive head and 1 handle. I still had my old handle so I had two razors.

At first I was using the mild with a new Rapira Stainless blade and was getting the same old issues. Then Monday of this week I decided to try the aggressive head with another Rapira blade. It was ok...I was able to shave every day without too much issue. When the blade started to tug yesterday I made the decision to put a new Nacet in this morning. Oh my goodness...perfect shave! Gliding smooth, no tugging, no chatter, no pain, no bleeding.

I have to conclude that I was unable to achieve the correct angle with the mild head. The aggressive angle and a nice, sharp blade along with good soap (Pre de Province 63) works great for me.

Best of luck.

9. Solitaryshaver_53

Solitaryshaver_53 New Member

Thanks for the advice gents. Think I may have found the right combo. Wilkinson Sword classic tto Astra SP and Mike's natural soap. No razor burn 3 shaves in a row.

Sent from my 100003562 using Tapatalk

Droo78, DaltonGang and Primotenore like this.