SEptember 2016 - Discuss SE Safety Razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by clint64, Aug 29, 2016.

1. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

That lather looks good. Is that aspect of your shaves improving? I know you were asking questions about it a little while ago.

2. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Yes I get the same thing from my injectors. Kind of weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I finished up with 1 and then gave it a few laps on the crox. I read that the .3 can make the edge harsh if you over do it. And I also read that you should put a sheet of paper under the .3 to give it a little cushion.

Robyflexx, jmudrick and clint64 like this.
  4. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

feel well soon!

Robyflexx, clint64 and Jorvaljr like this.
  5. PLAla

Looks like the PAL is on track to get to you tomorrow. Feel better soon!

6. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

As a matter of fact yes. It's so weird. The soaps that were dry for me are coming to life. More slickness is coming out. I don't know what I'm doing differently. it may be a coincidence and I'm not sure, but I started getting more slickness out of the soap with the new knots in this new brush handle. I've been doing the same thing I've done in the past in preparing the soap and the only difference I can't tell is I'm using 2 new silver tip knots.

ob1page, PLAla and clint64 like this.
  7. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I feel that with precise single blade shaves we are experiencing the swelling effects of water on the hair shafts. After twenty minutes or so, the hair dries out and shrinks, lowering it to skin level. I experience this with all razors, yet it does seem to be most pronounced in straight and injector shaves.

Jim99, Rufus T., Robyflexx and 4 others like this.
  8. PLAla

That makes sense. It's very interesting. It sort of neat to know that some of the minor stubble will retract and will feel smoother after a small interval.

Robyflexx, ob1page and clint64 like this.
  9. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Hope you get to feeling better.

Robyflexx and clint64 like this.
  10. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Started the SEptember celebration with one of my favorite SE razors - the Schick C3. I've been working on my straight technique for most of the past month and the C3 was like magic. Super easy, fantastic reduction, and a smooth, smooth close finish. :happy036:

AOS Lavender PSO
    Haslinger Aloe Vera Shave Soap
    Savile Row 3824
    Schick C3
    AOS Lavender After Shave Balm

C3 AOS HASAV SR AOS.JPG

Happy shaving - Karl

11. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Hope you feel better and are able to enjoy the weekend.

Robyflexx, Karl G and whiteboy_cannon like this.
  12. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG] :signs011:..My New SE Collection..:happy097:

Billy..:chores016:

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  13. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

SEptember 2, 2016

Shave #2 with the 1912 Gem

09-02-16.JPG

1-pass shave (ATG)
    GEM PFTE blade (2).

Yesterday’s shave with this same setup was so good that I knew I could get by with a one-pass today. And I wasn’t disappointed.

In getting to know this razor I’m starting out with an exaggerated “ride the cap” angle. I then drop the razor handle down slowly until I begin to get that incredible feedback and try to hold it right there. I notice that doing this in repeated slow, short strokes helps me learn the angle more quickly.

When I get to those trouble spots like my chin, I stay in the exaggerated “ride the cap” position to get a better feel for the ATG in that position on the chin. As I do this repeatedly, almost like buffing, I do get some reduction and the confidence to adjust the angle ever so slightly. I figure that in time I will get to the point where I feel more comfortable to expand the angle.

For those of you that have mastered this razor - Any suggestions regarding a different blade?

Cheers!
    RT

14. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    The Real McCoy..:D

Jayaruh, Rufus T., clint64 and 3 others like this.
  15. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

For single Edge blade , How many shaves are you getting out of them?

16. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

That collection seems to have grown a bit - they must be breeding when you're not looking. :)

Jim99, clint64, ob1page and 2 others like this.
  17. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

:happy102:

Karl G, clint64 and Billyfergie like this.
  18. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

5 or 6 then they start to go south.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    Three Pass Shaving Routine...[​IMG]

Hot Water Prep & Massage with Argan Oil
    Rolls Razor
    Hollow Ground Blade
    Fitchard Pure Badger
    Valobra Tallow soap
    Humphreys Witch Hazel

I had the Most Wonderful Shave with My Rolls for the SE September Celebration..A Most Perfect Every Darn North to South & East to West BBS Result was Had with this Grand Old Shaver..I Haven't Shaved with a Factory Blade Razor in Months & No Wonder..I have been Shaving with SRs & Occasionally Hollow Ground Blade SEs..:D

After I Honed this Blade Sometime Ago I got Kinda Thinking..These Rolls Blades are Designed to Be Stropped & Honed in the Rolls System with Some Amount of Pressure that Most Hollow Ground Blades would Not Stand Up Too..I Cant Quit Figure what they have Done to the Edge to Sustain this Kinda Treatment..Any Roads..On that Note..I Decided to Hit the Chromium Oxide for 30 Laps or Whatever I thought it Would Take to get a Darn Fine Killer Finished Edge after Coming Off the Hone..;)

On the Factual Knowledge that the Rolls Uses a Pressurized System I Used some Pressure on the Chrom/Ox Pasted Paddle Strop..Well Darn Me all the Way to Hell & Back..I had a Killer Edge but Still Very Smooth..Now..I Would Never Do that Amount of Laps on Chrom/Ox with any Other Blade Never Mind the Pressure..If You Attempted this Method with a Swedish Steel CV Heljestrand or any other SE Hollow Ground Blade it would just have a Negative Effect..Far Too Much Gun so to Speak..The Rolls Blade is Different from any Other SE Hollow Ground Blade for Sure..:)

I Am Dolphin Smooth & Refreshed...:kar:

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  20. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    Yeah..Never Trust a Bunny..:happy097: