September 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Aug 31, 2017.

?

Which SE will you be using this month?

1. Schick Injector

19 vote(s)
    51.4%
  2. Pal Injector

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
  3. A vintage Gem of some sort

17 vote(s)
    45.9%
  4. Mongoose

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
  5. Shavette

4 vote(s)
    10.8%
  6. Artist Club

3 vote(s)
    8.1%
  7. Traditional Straight

8 vote(s)
    21.6%
  8. Fooled you - no SE here!

5 vote(s)
    13.5%
  9. Cookies. Either let me have some or let me out.

6 vote(s)
    16.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

So far my earlier post offering to PIF a couple jars of surplus Capt. Fawcett's Moustache Wax has garnered 13 "likes" ... and ZERO PMs asking for the stuff. Nobody interested?

If not, then in a couple days I will post it in the general Freebies section of the forum.

Drygulch, Linuxguile, mrchick and 6 others like this.
  2. Marverel

Marverel Well-Known Member

thanks for your comments, guys :happy088: No shave for me today, you'll read more tomorrow. I hope y'all have a great saturday

3. RyX

RyX DoH!

Couple days ago I was interested, but withheld. I've considered extending my mustache beyond the corners of my mouth. My Lady friend vetoed the idea. She never met a handlebar she liked. Since then I've been Friend Zoned. So the idea of increasing my facial fur into a Snidely Whiplash style is back on the proverbial table.
    List me as a #3 alternative should no one else step up. There were two scents - Sandalwood and Lavender?
    (Cue; Mustache song & dance scene from A million ways to die in the west)
    neil-patrick-harris-moustache.gif

Drygulch, Linuxguile, mrchick and 9 others like this.
  4. Screwtape

Yes, there are two scents, Lavender and Sandalwood. People can ask for either or both. I have Snidely Whiplash RyX listed as potentially interested if he can locate his cape... That was the kind of mustache I tried for but it just looked all wrong on me, probably because I didn't have a proper cape...

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
    Drygulch, Linuxguile, mrchick and 8 others like this.
  5. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Saturday, September 2, 2017

Envy Shave 'Eight Ball' with Envy White Two Band
    MDC Original "Le Bol En Bois"
    Colonial Razors The General
    Feather Pro Super
    CRSW Lavish
    Chatillion Lux Champs de Lavande

[​IMG]

MR41, Drygulch, Linuxguile and 10 others like this.
  6. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Beautiful photo Mark. You've kept the Brass General very shiny.

7. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

SEptember 2, 2017
    Gem Damaskeene Open Comb
    Gem GTFE (8)
    Ever Ready 100T with TGN Finest
    CRSW Jeff’s Soap
    Floid Blue

[​IMG]

The shave this morning was much better than yesterday. The little Ever Ready did its job whipping up the lather with little effort. I bought Jeff's Soap to help out with a worthy cause and have been rewarded with a wonderful shaving soap. I have found it to be easy to load and lather. The floral/melon scent is not my favorite but I do find it a refreshing take on a modern barbershop type scent. For the most part I have enjoyed the week with the Damaskeene OC. When I do my part, the little razor delivers smooth and close shaves. However, I am missing the weight of my modern SE razors so I will move on to one of those for next week. I hope everyone has a fantastic Saturday.

MR41, Drygulch, PanChango and 10 others like this.
  8. Screwtape

Well I just suffered a tragic loss tonight. My metal drinking cup fell off the shelf above my sink, landed on my black pottery rice bowl / lather bowl and shattered it. It was the perfect size and surface texture for lathering, I only had it a couple months, and now it's gone. I may have to get one of those Turkish copper things. Or the aluminum equivalent I saw in the 3rd World crafts shop where I got the rice bowl. At least thev won't break no matter how often they're hit.

9. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

September 2, 2017

Razor: "Schick Safety Razor" Type J
    Blade: Chick (1)
    Brush: Razorock Plissoft 22
    Cream: KMF fragrance-free

I wasn't feeling the idea of using a Gem today, so I decided to go with my other recent acquisition, a Schick J1. Based on the level of grime it had and the blade that I removed from it, I suspect this was probably the first time it had been used since the Eisenhower administration. (I wonder if the original owner got his $1.00 back from that 1957 promotion. :))

A lovely shave overall. Having now used a J1 with both Proline B blades and Chicks, I'd say that the Proline are a bit sharper but the Chicks may be a bit smoother. Both are excellent blades, though.

10. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Clog-Pruf is just stupid good. Why ASR had to mess with the head is beyond me. [​IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

MR41, Drygulch, jtspartan and 11 others like this.
  11. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

You had to think about that?!

12. FaceScraper

FaceScraper Well-Known Member

Sorry for your loss!

If you only got it a few months ago, maybe you could get another one just like it, or similar. And, if it's not cost prohibitive, grab a few.
    Or, don't be such a klutz. :scared003:

Just kidding, of course. It's a bummer when something happens to something you really like.

13. GarnerPW

GarnerPW Well-Known Member

2 SEptember
    2nd Shave for SE September

Pre-Shave: Hot Shower
    Brush: 22mm Maggards Synthetic
    Soap: Williams/Arko homemade stick
    Razor: Valet VC2, Autostrop
    Blade: Feather FHS-10 (1)
    Post-Shave: Rose Pedal Witch Hazel, Thayers
    Photo:
    SOTD 2 Sep 2017.jpg

Todays shave was a shave of desire not one of necessity. I typically don't shave on the weekends. But when I looked in the mirror this morning I thought "Oooh Gooody. I get to shave today." and I was happy about it.

By mixing Williams and Arko together you get a pleasant scent with an unstoppable lather, not to mention a slickness that is "slicker than pig snot"(something my daddy always said).

I used the Valet for the first time on this shave. Paired with the Feather FHS-10 blade made a rather fun shave. I got a DFS out of this setup and will use it again on the next shave. I will use this razor for the next week of shaves as that is how I use new razors, I give them a week then I decide if I like them or not. After that I have an early GEM 1912 that I sent off to the GEM Doctor and got a clean bill of health on so that makes the problem all me. I will be using it for the remained of SEptember or until I find that sweet spot where it will no longer bite me. The upside is that I will be able to continue the use of the Treet blade I started using to see how many shaves I can get out of it.

I finished all off with a cold water rinse then a splash of Rose Pedal WH.

Marverel, MR41, Drygulch and 13 others like this.
  14. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Even though I declared a non-focused focus, I expected to have a number of SE's make an appearance. Plan change: I just received the first box of a massive soap sampler from another forum which will be putting 4 boxes of about 100 samples each in my bathroom over the next 6 weeks or so. I've got my hands full comparing soaps now. As much as I'd love to play along on the SEptember, I think it may not be the best strategy for now.

I'm posting the first of the soap reviews here, but will probably start another thread with them. I'm not sure whether I should put them up on this thread as they occur, or just put them on the other thread. I'm open to opinions...

First shave: Midnight and Two - Citrus Island
    I'm a sucker for citrus scents and this is a nice one. Lathering up with a badger brush revealed this to be a thirsty soap. It created a lather about half way between the thickness of B&M and the slickness of Stirling (two of my core soaps). Good cushion, but I found residual slickness to be lacking until I added more water on my last pass, and the slickness suddenly showed up. I will probably shave with another M&2 soap in this box to dial it in a bit better next time. At this point I'd say this is a very good soap and on par with some of my favorites.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
    Marverel, Drygulch, NCoxSTL and 12 others like this.
  15. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Bummer. My favorite bowl is pottery and I'm always nervous that I will bump it off the counter. Good luck finding a replacement.

16. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Well I was trying not to hurt Adam's feelings.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Drygulch, RyX, SharptoothC and 5 others like this.
  17. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Sorry about the mishap. That sounds like stuff that happens to me.

18. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great setup and picture.

19. BearCWY

BearCWY Well-Known Member

Drygulch, FaceScraper, RyX and 3 others like this.
  20. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

SOTD SEptember 2nd
    20170902_085201.jpg

Schick L1
    Personna mini hair shaper
    Stirling Mountain Man
    Surrey W/ 24mm TGN 3 band synthetic

Had an amazing first shave this morning with the Schick L1. These Personna blades are very nice, just as sharp as the Chicks but maybe a tad smoother. I had so much lather that I did 3 passes and a little touch up and the baby was waiting! Love the scent oh Mountain Man. Stirling SEptember is going to be a great month!

Have a great Labor Day weekend my friends!
    20170826_182313.jpg

mrchick, Marverel, RetLEO-07 and 13 others like this.