September 2021 30 Day Rule/Focus & Discussion. All are welcome!

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Primotenore, Aug 31, 2021.

?

Will SEptember be your month to feature your SE razors?

1. Absolutely! Best shaves ever.

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. I might break out an SE or two.

5 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. SEptember to me means SElect and uSE SEveral SEt-ups

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  4. 100% of my shaves are accomplished by a single edge (one edge at a time)

4 vote(s)
    26.7%
  5. I will only eat SEmprong, SEsame and SEven Layer cookies this month

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Here we are already. Hard to believe, that we are two-thirds of the way through 2021 already.

Welcome, fellow TSD wet-shaving denizens, to this forum's most popular, informative, witty and fast-moving shave-school thread. It’s here we gather to share, support and educate like-minded wet-shavers.

THIS thread is the venue to discuss all things “technique” related to shaving. How did you build that lather? Do you flip the blade between shaves? Does a heavier razor shave better than a light-weight one? Good questions with not always simple answers.

Muscle memory is a large part of a successful shave. To develop muscle memory, one must repeat, over and over again, a movement, refining the motion until it’s as efficient and simple as possible. One thing that can interfere with muscle memory is constantly altering the variables of your shave. :signs002:
    Example: Monday's razor is an adjustable. Tuesday's is a three-piece and Wednesday's is a Valet Auto Strop.
    Three different razors. Weight, blade gap, balance, cutting angle are all different. Each razor demands a different, albeit subtile, approach. Only through practice, can one become adept enough to be successful with a constantly changing arsenal.

The Rule
    Take ONE razor, ONE blade, ONE brush, ONE soap/cream and use them EVERYDAY this month. Yes, everyday. But Primo, I want variety! I know you do, but until you perfect your technique, it makes little sense to constantly change the variables of your shave.

For you out there that are not up to the rigors of the Rule, there is this alternative:

The Focus
    Vary the gear for each shave, save for perhaps one or two elements.
    This is a more accessible challenge for the majority of shavers. I like to pick a particular aspect of the shave, be it the lather, a certain blade or a new razor, that needs breaking in, and not change it daily, until I have mastered those tools.

Thread Protocol

1. New Members always welcome. Start anytime.
    2. Old Members always welcome.
    3. Respect everyone.
    4. Refrain from political conversation.**
    ** This includes, but is not limited to: Covid-19, treatments and/or advice.
    Please keep these discussions off of this thread.

Tradition dictates that September be dedicated to all things “Single Edged”. So, if you have an SE razor or two, now’s the time to dust them off and feature them in your daily shaves. This means you, Fuzzy @wchnu :eatdrink013:

Shave, post, comment, participate. Let's all enjoy SEptember's shaves. :eatdrink047:

jtspartan, Hembree, jgreenepa and 4 others like this.
  2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Here for another month, just like I'll be headed out soon to pay my RENT so as to stay here another month! In this month, I will slowly begin the transfer of shaving paraphernalia from the back of the den............or "bus"...to the front, thus bringing the warm weather shaves to the front row. September in Massachusetts is a strange month....yes the kids go back to school, college, but it's like the sky is saying "Summer ain't quite over yet, BUDDY." I thought it was only like that in Warshington, DC and points south. Yeah, I know...climate change. But I must watch my purchases this coming year(actually beginning now, as I just purchased Agadir/Men Sport Hair&Body Wash. 30% off...couldn't say no to that.). I have enough to keep me content-just need to work them down to the bottom. The bus is getting full, as is the area in my bedroom where other items are(that couldn't fit into the bus). Anyway......here's to a September of great shaves and great fun by all!!

jtspartan, Hembree, jgreenepa and 6 others like this.
  3. brit

brit in a box

hello gents,will probably dabble with the Superspeed series of gillettes this month,we'll see.;):eatdrink047:

jtspartan, Hembree, jgreenepa and 3 others like this.
  4. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Superspeed September for you, huh?

Hembree, jgreenepa, JACarbone and 2 others like this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

something like that..:)..i only use one edge at a time..;)..maybe some injector shaves as well..

6. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

I’ll continue my shaves which do feature a single edge every day. I may not be able to post every day from the 5th to the 11th as I’m taking the bride and stepson to La Jolla, Ca to show them where I grew up! Enjoy your shaves! This’ll be our first trip since the pandemic started.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
  7. brit

brit in a box

well gents, it looks like i have accomplished 5 years of DE shaves this month.got and used my first fatboy in aug of 2016.i have progressed from 2 times a week to mostly daily and can use any of my razors efficiently at a moments notice.though my collection is still 98% gillettes.it took a lot of practice and encouragement from the fine folks here to get there.i am most grateful to all of you.looking forward to a great month ahead:)..a toast to you all.cheers..and thank you.:):eatdrink047:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
    jtspartan, Hembree, jgreenepa and 7 others like this.
  8. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

My theme will be "S" razors for September.
    It means that I will be using my Straights and Shavettes as well as my Schick E-3, my ShakeSharp and my Slim Adjustable.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
    jtspartan, Hembree, jgreenepa and 4 others like this.
  9. Trigger

Congrats on 5 yrs of wetshaving Gary!

10. brit

brit in a box

thank you so much Joe.i shaved off a year long growth beard with the fat boy.with trimming of course.;)it wasn't the best but the desired result was achieved.i had purchased the fatboy as a man cave exbibit for my auto shop.i got curious.joined TSD in Jan. 2017.the rest is history.:D

11. brit

brit in a box

cool September theme.my first razor set was a brit rocket set.it will be the start of my superspeed themed September..:)

12. Trigger

Thanks Gary. It is the closest thing to being in Superman's footsteps. download.png

13. brit

brit in a box

that's awesome Joe..i understand Superman was a great dancer as well..?:D

14. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I have been far too lazy to post about them and lazy enough that I only shave a few times each week, but I can get behind SE September.

I really need to spend more time with the OC Hawk V3. Without fail, I have been cutting myself at least once per shave when I use it.

I hope a month with it will get me over the hump with this razor. I don't have this issue with any of my other razors, but this one quickly reminds me when I lose focus.

15. Trigger

Looking forward to your posts once again, Dale.

16. Primotenore

Article Team
    Great choice for a focus. Looking forward to reading about your shaves, Dale.

Hembree, jgreenepa, Trigger and 3 others like this.
  17. Primotenore

Article Team
    Congratulations, Gary. :happy096:

Hembree, jgreenepa, Trigger and 2 others like this.
  18. brit

brit in a box

thank you Joseph.most grateful..:):eatdrink047:

19. chazt

chazt Well-Known Member

I’m in! Frankly, I’m not much of a SE shaver, but will promise to use my three SEs by Skipping Every other DE shave with a SE. Yes, I totally get the muscle memory thing (lifelong guitarist), but I’ll go batty using only SE razors for the entire month. So here’s my plan. I’ll rotate through my MMOC, Schick Type G and Type I razors every other shave and attempt to rediscover my SE technique. It’s been long overdue. If I get adventurous, maybe I’ll try to do successive days with SE, but no promises. First up will be the MMOC tomorrow morning. I have two days of growth, so it should be fun!

jtspartan, brit, Hembree and 6 others like this.
  20. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

If I may suggest, hanging with an individual tool over a longer period of time might prove to deliver greater benefits.

Take any one of those tools, make sure you are not trying to extend blade life, go 7 shaves and see what happens.

jtspartan, brit, Hembree and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.