September 2021 30 Day Rule/Focus & Discussion. All are welcome!

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Primotenore, Aug 31, 2021.

?

Will SEptember be your month to feature your SE razors?

1. Absolutely! Best shaves ever.

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. I might break out an SE or two.

5 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. SEptember to me means SElect and uSE SEveral SEt-ups

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  4. 100% of my shaves are accomplished by a single edge (one edge at a time)

4 vote(s)
    26.7%
  5. I will only eat SEmprong, SEsame and SEven Layer cookies this month

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

Great fragrant Feather SS shave, Maestro!

brit, JACarbone, Hembree and 2 others like this.
  2. jgreenepa

Fabulous Dovo shavette tribute shave, Joe! Congratulations, El Numeroso!

3. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Trying to figure out how to make work two razors I never use, the 20s Roller Guard and the Fatip Gentile, both too mild with their intended caps. Roller Guard got the Fatip Mk1 cap, the Gentile the Yintal. The Roller Guard was much better, somehow still mild even with a lot more capspan. The Gentile was excellent, very smooth and efficient. Keeper with the Yintal cap.[​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

jtspartan, brit, IAmTheJody and 5 others like this.
  4. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Thanks Jeff! My next two shaves will be with Artie and Max, respectively. Using Max will be my 300th traditional straight shave and my 600th straight/open blade shave. That milestone will occur this weekend.

5. Trigger

Lol! Unfortunately, I can't retire.

6. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

You're still going to be teaching Chemistry at 80?

brit, JACarbone, Hembree and 2 others like this.
  7. Trigger

Paul, I am a substitute teacher which means that I hand out the work that a teacher leaves for me. It also means that I am placed where I am needed regardless of the subject. If I am placed in a Chem class, then I can help them with any questions they may have concerning the work, but I am not teaching per se. I do not have a pension other than my Soc. Security so that is why I can not retire. I hope that clears it up for you.

brit, Paul Turner, JACarbone and 2 others like this.
  8. jgreenepa

Love that handle on the Roller Guard, Jeff. I haven’t shaved with a Gentile, but do like my Piccolo. Great frankenshave, my friend! :happy088:

9. jgreenepa

Congratulations, Joe! You should have become a statistician like me! Counting things for a living would definitely suit you! :)

10. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

That's the Schone handle, yes it's a great handle and razor. I have the Piccolo Mk1 and Mk2 but prefer the bigger handle on the Grande and Schone.

brit, jgreenepa, JACarbone and 2 others like this.
  11. Trigger

Lol! Thanks again Jeff! I really didn't like Statistics. However, I liked Calculus because I took 4 semesters of it.

12. Trigger

[​IMG]
    jgreenepaNasal Barbarian

[​IMG]
    SOTD WEDNESDAY MORNING, SEPTEMBER 1, 2021

Welcome to Single Edge September! Some of my favorite safety razors are single edge razors, and what better way to kickoff the month than with the Ronson self sharpening razor. The razor originally took a proprietary blade, but these days people used modified DE blades or use injectors. The DE modification is similar to that used for the Gibbs Adjustable, but a bit more extreme as the end blocks on the Ronson are wider than those on the Gibbs. I prefer the stiffness of a good sharp injector blade, my blade of choice being the Schick B-20 Proline.

Loading an injector is a bit finicky, but a friend in one of the FB groups showed me the approach, and I’ve been enjoying dome shaves with this little beauty ever since. The razor dates to the 1930s and the Depression was part of the self-sharpening craze, which was actually just stropping in this razor’s case. Only the G.E. Jones Shake Sharp had an actual hone built in. The Autostrops and this razor were designed to strop the thicker carbon steel blades of the era, and thus maintain the keenness of the edge.

Several users of this sweet little razor describe it as head heavy. I like a heavier safety razor, and when shaving with this little beauty tend to grip it at the very end of the handle. I find it much easier to maintain the generous shave window by just allowing the weight of the head to do the work. The two pass ATG noggin shave this morning checked all the boxes, despite painlessly removing the top of a pimple on the right side of my head on the first pass. There was minimal red fluid, and after lathering over it for the second pass I found no need for a nick stick.

The mug shave featured my first straight razor, my Dovo Special, bought new in 2015. It's a good razor, and one I should use more often. My second shave with it resulted in a rather severe injury which revealed a new medical diagnosis, and led me to put it into the drawer for several years. Nevertheless, I do enjoy shaving with it, and found my three pass mug shave this morning to be very enjoyable. My Silvertip Badger Viking brush is one of my favorites and felt really good as it layered my mug with my well-loved MWF lather. I feel cool, clean and velveteen!

RAZOR: Dovo Special 5/8 (Mug), Ronson Safety Razor (Noggin)
    BLADE: Schick B-20 Proline
    PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with Argan Oil
    BRUSH: Viking Silvertip Badger
    SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
    POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Cremo Cooling Post Shave Balm.

-Jeff

Excellent shaves Jeff! I took the liberty of pasting this post because you had it in the Aug thread and it really should have been in this one.

jtspartan, brit, jgreenepa and 3 others like this.
  13. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

I have an I1. I do like how it shaves.
    Carry on my friend.

brit, jgreenepa, Hembree and 2 others like this.
  14. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Much better today Paul. Well done.

15. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Thank you Joe. Up to you, do you want to try another location since you were not impressed with the serve at our last breakfast? 9:30 works.

16. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Superb shave Joe

brit, Primotenore, jgreenepa and 2 others like this.
  17. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Excellent shave Joe

18. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Thank you Jeff. Stay safe. Hopefully Ida will pass without incident

19. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Very nice shave with an interesting razor.

20. Trigger

No, I am fine with MSD. It used to be my regular evening diner, and I still support it. I chalk it up that the waitress had a bad day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.