September 30 Day/Rule Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Primotenore, Aug 31, 2020.

?

Will you use a single edge this month?

1. Yup, that's all I will use...

8 vote(s)
    29.6%
  2. Of course... I always use one single edge...at a time.;-)

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  3. My SE razors are Cutthroats, so natch...

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. I think I'll mix up my gear...

8 vote(s)
    29.6%
  5. I am going to use all of my razors, both single and double edge...

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  6. Where do I pick up the medal I won from last month?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Must we suffer another month of Primo's introductions? He doesn't even provide cookies.

6 vote(s)
    22.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Cue music: Oh it’s a long, long time from May to December, but the days grow short when you reach September…

This is my favorite month of the year. It's the month I met my precious wife; it's my birthday month; the days, while still comfortable, are cooler and we can enjoy the open windows. That being said, let's get to shaving,
    shall we?

The year 2020 has been full of tumult, chaos, anxiety and challenges. To alleviate a few of these challenges, especially as they relate to shaving, we present: The 30 Day Rule/Focus thread.

:signs046: to the September issue of the fastest, most informative (some participants might use the acronym TMI) and interesting thread in shaving---not just here at The Shave Den©, but on all of the shave fora.

:signs011:

This is the place to hone your skills; ask questions about lathering a challenging soap; inquire why a certain razor blade is smooth, while another is rough; discover the true meaning of “riding the cap”, and, naturally, what makes Tabac, MWF and The Veg so controversial? :signs002:

In case anyone is interested, there is one “official” rule, or “recommendation” for this thread and that is:

Take one brush, one soap, one razor, one brand of blades and
    use them daily for the entire month.

This rule is not set in stone by any means, but was the original intent of this thread---and one that this author believes to be most worthy. It was intended to be a repository of vast knowledge and to offer assistance and guidance to anyone and everyone, who are looking to get a better shave.
    They say that "practice makes perfect". Well, this is the thread to make sure your practicing makes you perfect.

Here are a few disclaimers, which I am hereby presenting to you:

1) All are welcome, newbies and veterans
    2) Respect each other at all times
    3) Adhere to the rules of this forum

Traditionally, September has been a month to explore the virtues of the Single Edge razor. Far be it from me to go against tradition, so, this month’s theme will be:

SEptember

As the author of this first post, I would like to add my own suggestion for some added thematic material for this month. I think it would be grand, if we could use our influence to attract some new blood (I mean,
    participants :scared003: ) to join us. Let's get out there and recruit!

Plus, as an added bonus and quite nostalgic, if sometime during the month, we could share how we came to be involved on the 30DC thread. There are probably some very interesting stories.

We would like to welcome back Charlie and Kathy, from their long sojourn in Minnesota. Kathy's miraculous recover has warmed all of our hearts and we wish her
    continued good health. Another member, who has recently returned, is our own Marine, Douglas. We all are so happy to see you posting and wish you, too, health and happiness. Plus, we love to see that incredible Gillette RedTip! ;)

Some members have taken some time off and we think of them fondly and wish them well.
    Neal, Fuzzy, Jim, Andrew, Randy and others. We'll keep the candle lit for you all.

As always, we look forward to seeing your daily shaves; reading about your trials and tribulations, enabling your acquisition disorders, etc.

One thing I have come to appreciate about this thread, is the genuine concern showed for every member, who might need a little encouragement, an ear to vent to, or just to know that we all are in this together---and we mos def© are.

Let’s make September a month to remember. See what I did there?

2. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

It will tough to have a focus for this month but starting tomorrow I will run through my Japanese razors for Jeff @jgreenepa. For today's shave I used a very smooth and sharp Snail Forge Wootz steel 7/8 razor. This razor is tough to photograph, it is hard to catch the detail in the white mammoth tusk scales and the dendrites in the blade. The bush was made by Jason and put a Thäter silver tip in her, very soft and luxurious. I love the smell of Arlington but to give it that little extra slickness I also included some AoS tallow. An excellent shave.

IMG_9475.jpeg

3. MrEE

MrEE Half Naked Shave Stalker

Very nice shave Keith! Thanks for leading us into September with style!

Douglas Carey, brit, Trigger and 5 others like this.
  4. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

@Queen of Blades - I think there's an easy solution to not seeing a custom title on every one of my posts. It's a title I don't want & didn't ask for. Nothing wrong with The Shave Den's built in progression of titles in my opinion.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
  5. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

I did lot of windsurf in the '80, and now I just like to watch the kytesurfers from that beach near my home.
    Thanks Joe.
    Thanks Blair.
    Ischia from September to November is a sailing paradise.

6. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

Thanks, Keith! I look forward to seeing them!

dvdhviid, Douglas Carey, brit and 5 others like this.
  7. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

Sounds like tons of fun.

Grew up weekending 16 & 18 Hobie Cats on Lake Ponchatrain, even more time on the Gulf of Mexico....started racing them in the late 70s & 80s. Crewed on many monohull sailboats after that, 25 foot classes, 33 foot classes. Most active was on a 19 foot Lightning (an international spec race class). One team I was on...finished high enough in the ranks where we were invited to race in Toronto, a precursor to the World Cup (for the Lightning class), but unfortunately the skipper couldn't because of family conflict. All this while....playing on & still have 2 windsurfers sitting in the attic....back surgery mostly killed that sport/passion activity. :angry019:

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
  8. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

Spectacular start of the month Keith!

Technical photography answer.....for the issue of photographing the scales, getting the white details. You could play with manual camera exposure settings. If you set the exposure (EV setting) to under-expose by 1/3 to 2/3 stops...the auto compensation feature wouldn't blow the highlight/details (white color of the scales) as much.

dvdhviid, Douglas Carey, brit and 7 others like this.
  9. jgreenepa

1F3F4EF6-36BB-4900-BAF6-D6483D6424BD.png
    SOTD TUESDAY MORNING, SEPTEMBER 1, 2020

In keeping with my single edge September theme I selected the Lord straight razor. That will satisfy my single edge theme despite my Supply V2 incorporating a Schick Twinjector blade. The edge on the Lord was burnished last night with pull strokes on the jasper hone after a brief chrome-ox stropping session. The Supply with the Twinjector blade delivers a shave every bit as close on the first pass as my AC razors. In any case the kickoff consisted of an uneventful three pass (WTG, ATG, XTG) VBBS Mug Shave followed by a great one and 1/2 pass (ATG, ATG) dome VBBS. I feel cool, clean and very smoothly velveteen.

RAZOR: Lord 6/8 (Mug), SS Supply V2 (Dome)
    BLADE: Schick Twinjector
    PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with Rabid Banana Preshave Cube
    BRUSH: Omega Pro48 Boar
    SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat w/ 6 drops of M-Bomb
    POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Humphreys Lilac WH and Osage Rub. Finished with Cremo Cooling Post Shave Balm.

10. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great shave and start to the month Jeff.

dvdhviid, Douglas Carey, brit and 4 others like this.
  11. jgreenepa

Thanks, Clint!

12. ischiapp

SOTD 20200901 Stanlio & Ollio
    by IschiaPP @ Forio
    •••
    Nero Ardesia Luxury Shaving "Guerra di Piero"
    Finest Badger HD, 24x55x110mm
    ---
    KEPKINH Aroania
    Κερκινη V3 by βeecosmetics
    Sample by Luc68@ilRasoio
    ---
    FrankenRazor Katana Light
    (Yaqi Single Edge Cobbled Half DE (SCHaDE) / Yaqi RAC 1712 Halo Aluminium)
    ---
    Personna Platinum Chrome Super Stainless #8
    •••
    #Shave #WetShaving #WetShavers
    #ShaveOfTheDay #ShaveLikeaMan
    #ShavingSoap #Test
    [​IMG]
    Full size:
    https://imgur.com/jokOi9O
    Soundtrack:
    Sting - Shape Of My Heart

13. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Fantastic balance photo Pierpaolo.

14. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

September 1, 2020
    Supply Co SE V2 ●●
    Schick Proline
    Alpha Outlaw with 2 Band Finest
    Captain’s Choice Bay Rum
    Shave Cream & Aftershave

[​IMG]

Kicking of Shaving Cream & SE September with Captain's Choice and the Supply Co SE. The knot in the Outlaw is a monster covering a lot of real estate while face lathering. I do like the scrub and the flow through seemed better today. Three passes and touch ups ended in a wonderful BBS shave. A splash of the CC Bay Rum aftershave and I am off to my office for part of the day. I hope everyone has a great Tuesday.

15. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

Super combo and results Jeff!

Fun image and nice Frankenrazor Pierpaolo!

That is a monster of a brush Clint! Great image colors.

16. ischiapp

Thanks, Clint.
    The new slim head of Yaqi SE has the perfect size of the hole in my NALS.
    Not really balance, more plug & play.
    :lyrtuy5:

dvdhviid, Douglas Carey, brit and 6 others like this.
  17. ischiapp

Thanks, Blair.
    That razor is very fun.

18. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Wonderful shaves and photos, gentlemen!

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

19. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

A great idea, I’ll need to get out my real camera.

dvdhviid, Douglas Carey, brit and 6 others like this.
  20. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Blair.

Thank you Jim.

dvdhviid, Douglas Carey, brit and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.