SER Trial Pass-Around

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by xChris, May 4, 2007.

1. xChris

xChris Member

Both kits for TOB9595 & Baron are enroute.

Due to my duties, I'll be a little difficult to get a hold of in the next couple of weeks. I'd like to solicit the other straight shavers in assisting these guys when they get their kits in. To TOB9595 & Baron, please post up your questions and experiences. We want to make sure you get the most out of this exchange.

2. TOB9595

TOB9595 Member

THanks for the heads up.
    Tom

3. TOB9595

TOB9595 Member

I received thre razors and two strops in todays mail.
    I stropped one up and shaved with it.
    I have a lot of rereading this thread and have Qs tomorrow. I'll take some pics too.
    Lovely stuff, here
    Thank You Chris
    Tom

4. Baron

Baron New Member

I received my kit on Friday, had a really busy weekend and didn't get to post about it... nevermind spend much time with it.

I'll keep everyone updated when I get a chance to actually use the stuff :)

Great kit though! Thanks Chris!

5. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

Well,

Any questions?:D

6. TOB9595

TOB9595 Member

My first shave went very well. I took my time and did three passes, NS, SN, ATG...I used a soap that my Son just got for me. Handmade and I'll do a review on it. I could not see some of the areas that I was shaving. Angle was great. I took my time prepping with hot towel.
    Second shave was less stellar!
    I couldn't see too well, my hand kept getting in the way of seeing and my angle wasn't good.
    I skipped a day to get a growth of beard...
    Tonight's shave was a horror... It was like I never held a razor before. I think I was focusing too much on the mechanics of this shave. Same problems as before I couldn't see well and the angle was off. I used Kent shave soap. I think my prep was poor. No hot towel and poor hydration.

I can feel the razor tug at the hair.
    I stropped this blade (Blue Steel) 60 times. I strop very slowly because I automatically flip the blade over blade first and I know this to be wrong. I concentrate on flipping spine side.

DAMN!! Asa I write this I feel like some kid that isn't paying attention to the task...

Any ideas or links to a vid showing proper holding of the Razor?
    Thanks for sharing your time
    Tom

7. xChris

xChris Member

Dr. Chris Moss made a book about straight shaving; here's a link earlier in this thread that points to the PDF location (read it thoroughly -- a lot of info in it):
    http://www.theshaveden.com/forum/showpost.php?p=15508&postcount=54
    You'll eventually find the angles, contortions :D, and stretches that work best for you.

Lynn Abrams (adjustme69) has some videos demonstrating shaving (check either SRP's Library or Google Videos). There's a slew of videos on YouTube showing guys shaving with a straight.

The pulling will be a little more if you're passing the blade completely horizontal -- a safe practice for the beginner IMO. However, leading with the toe of the razor helps the cutting action a noticeable amount. Using a scything motion also helps.

I'd also recommend just shaving WTG (1 or 2 passes) for the next week to get some mechanics down.

8. TOB9595

TOB9595 Member

Chris I took your advice to get the basics down before getting a BBS.
    I reviewed Lynn's DVD.
    My tale of Pleasure is here

Tom

9. xChris

xChris Member

Tom--
    Great to see you're getting the hang of it! Like Raf mentioned, just keep paying attention to the fundamentals, and the shaves wil improve.

Michael--
    What's your status? I'd like to read how it's going for you too.

10. TOB9595

TOB9595 Member

I'm sitting back as I just now finished a delightful str8 shave
    This is the first time I used the Joseph Allen Non XXL, halfMedium Size Hollow.
    Stropped it 50 x on my Tony Miller Starter. It's a good thing I got the Starte. I put a nick in it. I was getting cocky with my strop speed and missed a rotation. just caught the heel of the blade on the side of the strop. Not big...But a comeuppance!
    I lathered up Taylor's of Old Bond Street Rose cream using a Simpson T4. A really lovely shave and scent.
    Finished off with Alum block, Corn Huskers and Truefitt & Hill Spanish Leather...I always refer to it as English DUH!!!
    It's a sampler vial and I dabbed it on chest, neck elbows and wrists.
    I feel like a million $

My technique is improving with each shave. I'm finding new contortions and ways to hold the blade. I want to work on using my left hand thru more of the shave

Tom

11. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Glad to see the trial pay dividends for someone else again, Tom. What a neat endeavor! Chris, you're doing yeoman's work. Thanks, man!

12. TOB9595

TOB9595 Member

TOday I had a tremendous shave..THe most enthralling news of this shave is that I used my left hand to shave as well as my right.
    I think that's a great step forward.
    Chuckle...How I'm entertained :)
    Tonight's shave was particularly memorable.
    - Kent Soap
    - ESPE Nagin Straight Razor 100 licks on the strop
    - a fantastic brush. No name on it . Molded plastic handle. Wonderful not badger bristles
    - alum block
    - Corn Huskers lotion
    - Floid Italian AfterShave
    - Guerlain Coriolan EDT

I str8 shaved using both hands..Shaving lefty gave me pause for a bit :)
    THis no name brush was just WOW!!
    The Coriolan capped it off VERY nicely
    [​IMG]

THat's a Charlie Ochs OxForge Black Knife in the pic

13. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I've been fumbling around these threads for a few months now and never bothered signing up till today when I saw this thread. I'm a college student (biology) writing from MA. I just started wet shaving about a year ago and am slowly but surely building a collection. I just recieved the HUGE razor pack from razor&brush. Mainly I've been interested in shaving with a straight but deffinetly dont have that kind of money to invest in case It just doesnt gel for me. This whole idea is wonderful and I was just wondering if it is still going on and what are the chances of being able to take part in this wonderful experiance?

-Jay

14. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

Welcome JayKay!

15. JayKay

Thank you. Very much appreciated.

And now for the shave...

16. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Welcome to The Shave Den, JayKay!

17. TOB9595

TOB9595 Member

There are many folk who try a str8 and find that they do not like or enjoy it.

If Chris accepts you in the passaround it will be and exceptional journey.
    Whether you like it or not..THis is the pinnacle of trying something that is so far afield for most people..
    Least you'll be among the few who at least try.

18. JayKay

Thank you everybody. I'm aware of the many who try it and love it or try it and hate it. I'd love to join the club of those who have at least tried it and have my own experience to share. Hopefully I will be accepted and would very much appreciate it. As for what will come of it.... I'll either wind up with the face of an angel or look like I've had a casual encounter with a jeep tire :D

19. TOB9595

TOB9595 Member

Or in my case a NOT SO CASUAL ENCOUNTER with a jeep tire.

JUST remember that as you're shaving...DON"T tap your cheek to make a mental point
    hahahahahahaha
    YES I DID!!

20. JayKay

Ouchh. I'll make sure to keep all mental points for pre and post shave.