Server move

Discussion in 'The Help Desk' started by sparky5693, Apr 15, 2007.

1. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    We outgrew our server much faster then I expected. All upgrades are on hold until we get moved. You may have noticed occasional page load problems when we were under a heavy load, these will soon be a thing of the past. We're moving to a much faster server, with a much better connection.

For you technical nerds like myself, the future server info...
    Mix of internap and level 3 (direct feed) with BGP enabled, to custom select the best route that is fastest to YOUR computer.

3.0ghz xeon
    4GB ram
    1,000mb/s speed port
    raid 0 hdd

Server located on dallas texas backbone. Should result in a huge speed gain for us.

2. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

3.0ghz xeon
    4GB ram
    1,000mb/s speed port
    raid 0 hdd

uhhhhhh....
    whachoo talkin' 'bout Willis ?? :confused: :D
    Congrats and THANKS Sparky !

3. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

great news indeed :D

4. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

OK, I get the hardware setup. It's quick for sure. Hope the config and move work out smoothly.

5. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

RAID 0 is nice and fast, but you do realize that's non-redundant right?

How many disks spanning is that array? Is the amount of storage needed for the site more than can be justified giving up some disk space for redundancy?

Just curious... I do this crap for a living and had to throw in my .02 :rofl

6. SSLSTudio...

SSLSTudio... Forum Debugger

wOW AWESOME Set up ! make sure your not using it for Gaming in your secret past time other then playing the games here at the TSD !

I was noticing Lag in the games already...
    BGP -> !!!! COOL ! just what the doctor needed.....uhh adviced.

7. sparky5693

Administrator
    Yup, raid 0. I didn't feel the need for raid 1 with offsite nightly backups. The host charges much less for raid 0, than two seperate drives (non raid). The array will span 1 set of 2 drives. We don't NEED raid 0, but for the small price increase, I thought what the heck.

8. sparky5693

Administrator
    Nah, my gaming rig is "slightly faster" :cool:
    I'll have to post pics of it sometime. Watercooled, and overclocked, it's a beast. Plus it's got purty lights inside. :ashamed001

9. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Bobby, any idea how long it'll take before we're going to be good to go after that?

10. sparky5693

Administrator
    The move itself shouldn't take that long, maybe a couple hours. It will then be up to our registrar to update itself and use the new dns settings, directing us to our new server. I've been told it could be anywhere from 2-48 hours. I've got some tricks up my sleeve to speed it up though.

11. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

So, our exposure is a maximum of 24 hours of lost posts if we lose the array. I guess that is acceptable.

12. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

Sounds good to me. As long as there's a recovery plan, I approve :D

13. sparky5693

Administrator
    I would obviously have the option of backing up the site manually whenever.

14. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

¡Gracias!, Jefe. This sounds like a great move for us.

15. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Are we there yet? :D

Sorry someone had to ask it. :ashamed001

16. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

The only thing I understood was server in Dallas Texas:D

So when I go to Dallas my 'puter is going to be super fast!!!!!!!!

Raf

17. sparky5693

Administrator
    We're back

I caught some rumors that it may take as long as 5 days for our domain to point to the new server. I didn't want to risk waiting that long.

We're running some custom reidrects, so you'll notice some weirdness in the address bar, but everything is working except for the homepage. I'll be working on that shortly, but greatly need sleep.

18. Smedley

Smedley New Member

Thanks for the efforts, I know how IT projects involve a lot of late nights!

Growth is good, no?

19. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

well, as long as we still exist, and as long as we can improve, that's all that really matters!

20. sparky5693

Administrator
    Things will be back to normal very shortly. The dns is already propagating to some isp's. Once it makes it's way around to yours, all will be back to normal.