Set me up

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by txskimo, Apr 12, 2015.

1. txskimo

txskimo Well-Known Member

So for a complete newb what would yall recommend for a good setup. Is there anything I need besides a strop I wouldn't already have? Hopefully next month I'll be able to do a focus on my first straight so please help me pick a good setup.

2. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I'd recommend two options, both involve calling someone.
    1) Larry at whipped dog, he offers good starter razors. not real pretty but sound in condition. they also have strops, called poor man's strop.
    his rep for being easy to deal with us renown.
    2) call Glenn at gemstarcustoms. he may have bench razors fit for a beginner. but he offers a bench strop designed to take," how to hold a strop" out of the equation. it sets on a table or desk. I prop mine up on my knee.
    but either one of these guys can help get you started.

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

4. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Both are good paths to take.

You might want to get a sight unseen from Larry and a bench strop from Glen!

txskimo likes this.
  5. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

Shave ready Straight and strop. You have all the rest (brush, soap).

Time. It does take some patience and time to learn to strop and shave with a straight.

txskimo likes this.
  6. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I swear by Whipped Dog. I've bought stuff from him several times and have been thoroughly pleased each time.

txskimo likes this.
  7. txskimo

Order has been placed from Whipped Dog and thanks to the very generous @Drygulch I'll have a bench strop! Speaking of Drygulch he does some really nice leather work.

Drygulch likes this.
  8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Enjoy! And don't hesitate to ask questions when you do get it and as you begin the process of SR shaving. As ARGH mentioned above, competently shaving with an SR does take time and patience—but in the end, I found the effort well worth it! :happy088:

txskimo likes this.
  9. txskimo

I'm beyond excited! As I told Drygulch my original plan was to wait at least until the end of the week before deciding on a razor, but I didn't even last until lunch.