Seven Potions

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by ischiapp, May 2, 2023.

1. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

Thanks to Riccardo Tafuto, I saw this English line.
    In his SOTD today, he shows and explains the qualities.
    Code:
    www.facebook.com/groups/ilrasoio/posts/2507518519390606/
    This is the manufacturer’s website.
    https://sevenpotions.com/collections/shave

These three products are winners of the 2023 Beauty Shortlist Awards.
    https://www.thebeautyshortlist.com/2023/03/02/2023-grooming-awards-the-winners/
    [​IMG]

This is the list of ingredients. (INCI)
    [​IMG]

One interesting detail is that it is 100% Made in UK.
    But the part that immediately intrigued me is the composition.
    Where three strongly soothing components stand out:
    ○ Ribes Nigrum
    ○ Cardiospermum Halicacabum
    ○ Tocopherol
    All used in pharmacology.

The rest of the functional is well harmonized.
    To create a complex and complete action.
    Where skin conditioning is real.

With an excellent q/p ratio, which is unusual.
    In short, a beautiful discovery.

2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I was about to order some for my wife, since she's been looking for a good shave cream.

...but there's no scent description, and none of the 5 reviews mention the scent either. People do care about that sort of thing, you know.

If it's unscented, they ought to say so.

Frijolero likes this.
  3. ischiapp

Nope.
    Floral, on the sweet side.
    Owner says it's pleasantly unisex.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  4. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    In that case, ordered. Got the shave cream and balm combo. Total came to $32 and change, shipping included, with the sale price on the combo and 15% off first order.

I agree with you on the ingredients list. Looks good.

Enrico likes this.
  5. ischiapp

The only thing I do not like is the product pages.
    Actually, too many words for too little infos.
    No INCI, no frag pyramid, no use directions ...

PLANofMAN likes this.
  6. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Yes. I've bolded the only relevant info in the description. Everything else is just buzzword bingo, aka :kngt:

Experience Shaving Excellence
    Shaving is one of the most essential grooming rituals enjoyed by gentlemen everywhere. Elevate the experience with a close, comfortable shave with the help of our award winning Seven Potions Shaving Cream. It not only promotes healthier skin but does so through naturally derived ingredients. Specially crafted with comfort and excellence in mind, the soothing formula helps provide a satisfying shave while reducing irritation.
    We developed Seven Potions Shaving Cream because we understand that not all shaves are created equal. Our aim is to offer a premium shaving experience that is good for your skin and leaves you feeling amazing. To achieve even better results, we recommend using our Pre-Shave Oil to prepare for your shave and our Post Shave Balm to finish things off.
    Enjoy the Ritual
    By equipping yourself with the proper shaving essentials, you will be able to get a close, comfortable shave that will improve the health of your skin, your appearance, and, most importantly, your self-confidence.
    Shaving is often associated with cuts, scrapes and nicks, but it doesn’t have to be this way if you use a quality shaving cream. When you choose Seven Potions Shaving Cream, you will discover a uniquely crafted formula that delivers an incredibly protective lather and reduces irritation to promote healthier skin.
    It starts with a dab of cream into a shave bowl, whipped by a dampened Seven Potions Shaving Brush. Next, circular motions apply rich lather to your skin. Now you’re ready for your Seven Potion Safety Razor to gently remove the hair from your face, leaving your skin smooth and healthy. A simple task made extraordinary with Seven Potions Shaving Cream.
    Essential Ingredients
    We start with high-quality, plant-based ingredients that work together to create a rich lather. This lather, infused with notable anti-inflammatory additions such as Cardiospermum Halicacabum extract, will help protect against redness, itchiness, and irritation caused by razor burn. In addition, your skin will be left feeling moisturized and smooth after every shave.
    Additionally, our uniquely crafted formula increases hydration, so you don’t have to worry about dry skin or ingrown hairs. Ingredients like Hydrolyzed Jojoba Esters and Butyrospermum Parkii butter soothe and hydrate your skin, leaving it revitalized and healthy, so you look your best.
    Stop suffering through uncomfortable shaves. Give yourself or a gentleman in your life the gift of Seven Potions Shaving Cream and experience shaving excellence.

7. brit

brit in a box

how many times can one reinvent the wheel..;)

ischiapp likes this.
  8. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Screenshot_2023-05-02-17-09-59-33_0311c9f6806a66343c45622522faa000.jpg

gorgo2, Frijolero, ischiapp and 2 others like this.
  9. ischiapp

Yes, indeed.
    Depends on how many hamsters play on it.
    Thanks to online groups, we are more and more.

brit and PLANofMAN like this.
  10. ischiapp

About the fragrance, the manufacturer answered me.
    Also regarding the information on the product pages.
    In fact I asked if it was possible to add:
    • INCI
    • fragrance
    • instructions for use
    But as always, the best comes at the end. The so-called eyelash on the cake.
    Out of magnanimous kindness, he also sends me a sample of their Full Shave Kit (the one in the picture).
    I look forward to it. If it comes close to my expectations it’s just great.

11. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    My wife hated the scent. Then she smelled it after I lathered some, and said "it's not bad." (Translation: I don't love it).

Light floral is a good description. I wouldn't call it unisex, I think it leans heavily towards the feminine, kind of a white rose perfume type scent (my wife called it an "old lady smell.") I'd like to see a more masculine cologne type version.

Initial impression:
    I only palm lathered it. It's a bit odd. Most soaps and shave creams are cushiony and get slicker as you add more water. This stuff just got thinner, not slicker. On the other hand, the cushion effect is off the scale. The feel is similar to what I would expect if someone told me they added skin lotion to their lather. I'll add that it's very, very moisturizing. My hand is as soft as it's ever been.

I'm looking forward to giving it a try for shaving. I think this may very well end up being the next Xpec, with a devoted cult following.

Edit: The scent is light, but lingering.

Last edited: May 5, 2023
    Frijolero, madmedic and brit like this.
  12. brit

brit in a box

shave cream and balm on the way.:)

PLANofMAN likes this.
  13. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    The shave cream and balm scent do not match at all, imo. The balm has a slight lemongrass scent to it, if it's not my imagination. Mostly it just smells like lotion. Now, just because they don't match, doesn't mean they aren't complimentary. They don't clash with each other at all, and the balm helps to cut down on the floral scent, though the floral scent does push back through after a bit.

This is one of the few products I've shaved with that I feel actually needs the pre-shave oil. This is the least slick shaving product I've ever used. The lather dissipated fairly rapidly, and I had to squeeze out a tad more product for the third pass, so if you're a slow shaver you might want to pass on this one.

It was not as cushiony on the face as initial impressions implied.

The post shave feel exceeds expectations. This is, without a doubt, one of the best post-shave skin care product combos I've ever used. It's light and does not leave the skin feeling greasy.

I think this would actually work pretty decent with a cartridge razor, which is a rare trait in a traditional wet shaving product. It was barely adequate for a straight razor shave. It would probably be okay for a DE shave.

Scent: 2/10
    I hate floral scents.
    Cushion: 3/10
    Slickness: 0/10
    Post-Shave: 11/10

Bottom Line: Does the fantastic post-shave make up for the lack of performance during the shave?

Kind of.

I'll give it another go tomorrow with a DE and see if it was just user error. I might need to dial the lather in just a bit more, and perhaps start off with a drier brush and a bit more product.
    IMG_1683358890974.JPEG IMG_1683358891228.JPEG
    It also has a conditioning effect on natural brush knots as well, and leaves the hairs on a badger brush soft and shiny. Odd, to say the least.

Edit: I've never had such mixed feelings about a shaving product before.

Last edited: May 6, 2023
  14. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Second shave. In honor of Chucky's coronation, I dug out the No. 58, (not a coronation edition) and used it for the second pass. First pass was with the Rolls Razor.

Not changing my opinion. Dissipates quickly, no slickness, little cushion, and over-the-top skin moisturizing effect. Perhaps someone who also has the pre-shave oil will have a different opinion, but I cannot recommend this soap for people who don't use pre-shave oil.

I'm sorry. I had high hopes for it.

macaronus, Frijolero and brit like this.
  15. brit

brit in a box

very cool.all good.i'll mix it with a tobs cream.great lather with added skin conditioning..;):eatdrink047:

PLANofMAN, Frijolero and ischiapp like this.
  16. ischiapp

I suggest to use it for 1-2 weeks straight.
    Skin conditioning is a deep work. Needs time.

:happy097:

:angelic013:

Last edited: May 7, 2023
    Frijolero, PLANofMAN and brit like this.
  17. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I'll say what I said on the other forum. You're lucky I used it twice. I really don't like things that are more floral than MWF.

I sent it off with my brother in law for him to try, and will report back with his thoughts on it. He doesn't mind the scent at all. :) He also did a test lather, and was as equally impressed as I was by it's skin moisturizing properties.

Frijolero likes this.
  18. ischiapp

First contact ...
    https://theshaveden.com/forums/posts/2080791/
    [​IMG]

... not bad.
    https://theshaveden.com/forums/posts/2080793/
    [​IMG]

No comment on the fragrance.
    ... or rather NC as at school.
    But my skin loves it.
    Excellent conditioning.
    For the few who need support.

I’m intrigued. This is just the first look.
    In the coming days I will share more.
    I have a feeling this could be a great set.
    But it certainly requires adaptations of my technique.
    In addition to getting used to the strange smell, or mask it in superlathering.

PLANofMAN and brit like this.
  19. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Yeah, the post shave effect is great. What I want to know is does the pre-shave oil help with the lack of slickness, and did you have issues with the lather breaking down quickly?

brit likes this.
  20. ischiapp

Yes, very little. Unrelevant.
    The preshave oil is the last of the three, as quality.
    Almost the olive oil you've in the kitchen ...
    Yes. The first day.
    This cream needs a lot of water, and even more work on lathering.
    I'm gradually fixing my technique issues: less cream, more water.
    Today, almost none. As said, It takes time.

brit likes this.