Sex Sells

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by qhsdoitall, Jan 10, 2008.

?

Does "Sex Sells" influence your buying decisions?

1. Definitely.

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  2. A little more than it should.

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  3. Somewhat.

6 vote(s)
    30.0%
  4. Definitely not.

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  5. Who cares?

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  1. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

OK, first of all, keep it clean. I don't want to have to edit or move any posts please. This is about the usage of sex to sell products and what effect it has on your buying decisions.

Personally, don't get me wrong. I like what is presented at times. I don't like it when you have no clue at to what they are actually trying to sell you. You want to put a few scantily clad or suggestive women in the commercial. Fine. Be my guest. You've got my attention. Will I buy your product or service? Nope. Not unless it is something I was already interested in or needed. I have not bought a single item based on "sex sells" since I was a teenager. Book covers come to mind. :D Now, I have to admit, a pretty woman behind the sales counter might, just might, get me to buy something a little extra but only if I was going to buy something anyway.

So? Does "sex sells" influence your buying decisions? Do we really need to be bombarded by it in our advertising?

2. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

No effect on me what so ever. I already know I am hot stuff.. why do I need to downgrade with what corporations think is hot? :rofl:rofl

Seriously, no.. no influence at all. I think the media image of a modern man is something I am not interested in being anyway so their ads have zero effect on me.

3. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Well, I must admit, an ad with a beautiful woman will probably attract my attention, but will it influence my decision to buy? I can't be ceratin it won't...

4. Crag

Crag Member

When Carl's Jr. had those commercials with chicks in bikinis that were dripping wet washing cars, and eating burgers, I found myself more "hungry" for Famous Star's than usual!

Seemed like I gained around 10 pounds of BELLY FAT when those damn commercials ran...now that I think of it...I HATE CARL'S! :rofl

I'm not worthy!:1respect

5. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I test all the shaving products in TSD's store on myself, each and every single one. ;)

6. Crag

Crag Member

You could make a fortune selling THOSE picture...:drool

Er....DID I say that out loud? :ashamed001

7. Queen of Blades

No pictures, the camera broke.

And, no, you didn't say that out loud. ;)

you typed it.

8. Issy

Issy TheMadSoaper

Borrow Bobbys Camera.

Issy

9. Queen of Blades

I might have to steal it instead.

Don't think he'd be willing to let me take the pictures. :rofl

10. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Rich, please tell us how you really didn't expect this thread to go south. :cool:

11. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

I expected it go south. I just hoped it go south in a manner that did not require moving to the no holds barred section. It still may end up there. :D

OK, let's stir the pot a little. Those of you that said sex does not sell you a product. How about this? Your current interest or someone you think is hot likes something your'e wearing or using. You smell "nice" or you look really good in those clothes. Do you go out and buy a truckload of those items in the hopes of "getting some" or want to impress that hotty? ;) Are you influenced now? :D

12. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

Nope. I already have a wardrobe I am proud of so I see no need to go out and buy stuff that a girl says she likes.

If she only likes me for the clothes anyway, what is the point? ;)

13. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

Well, I was hot before she met me so...the answer is no if she is interested in what I am wearing then she is superficial and materialistic. I dont want any part of that!!!! I impress with my good looks and charm...oh yeah I also use my secret weapon...my Antonio Banderas accent!!!!!!!

Ok now for the real answer, I'm a man so if I think it will help me hook up then Hell Yeah I would buy it!!!!:D I can man-up to that fact. I am also single!! so this answer will differ from that of the married gents, I think:D

Raf

14. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

I plead the 5th on that! :p

15. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

:rofl :rofl

16. bearbeard

bearbeard Right Guard

well, there is one reason and one reason only that I ever watch cnn headline news, and that is Robin Meade!!!:drool:drool:drool:drool:drool:drool

17. seamus402

seamus402 You don't mess with Big Slim

I did not hear a thing.

18. Bill

Bill Man of Steel

OK... here goes...

I promise to have sex with every female who buys a razor from me. There - that oughta increase sales.

19. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

Folks this is marketing at its best!!!!!!!!:rofl

Raf

20. bearbeard

bearbeard Right Guard

have you seen sweeney todd?

Not sure you want to give a girl a loaded razor and then expose yourself to the consequences.