Shall I keep str8 shaving or better go DE

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by CleanShaven, Feb 17, 2008.

1. CleanShaven

CleanShaven New Member

Hey guys,
    I'm really new.
    I started wetshaving with a str8 only a week or something a go. Its of the type were you brake a blade in half and slide it into the straights handle (so no fuss with stroping yet).
    yesterday my first DE arrived (I think I recognized it as a gillette tech, not sure though). used it on the second pass and it was realy smooth.
    The problem is, being so new, and obviously not having good technique yet (on both of them), how shall I continue??
    I think from what I've read switching to the DE would be EASIER :o but, I did not start this because it should be easy.:cool:
    I guess I would like to learn both (if not now, then at least eventually)
    shall I keep using them both??? or shall I choose to learn one first?
    One thing making it all a little bit more complicated is that I do tend to get ingrown hair fairly easy.
    Any advice for a newbie wanting to become pro ;)

2. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

I'm not sure if my answer will make you any wiser, but I think both straights and DE:s are nice. At the moment I'm struggling with learning to get decent shaves with a straight. It's way easier to get there with a DE. So my suggestion would be to go for the DE first, then you always have that to fall back on, and then take the plunge into straights. That is of course if you want to do both... I know I do!

3. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

My advice: keep them both. Normally I shave with my DEs but every once in a while a straight shave is what I need. :)
    Keep practising, learning how to shave with a straight takes mostly one thing: time ;)

4. Padron

Padron Active Member

I too, like them both...although I prefer straights....I'd say start using the DE and try to avoid the against the grain passes for now as that will help with minimizing the ingrowns..once you get your technique down and learn the growth of your beard better then mix it up with the straight shaves :)

Congrats!! and keep at it as your shaves will only get better :D

5. CleanShaven

CleanShaven New Member

I'll try using both for now and see

For now I'm thinking I will keep using both.
    1st pass with straight and then DE, or vice versa.

Any preference for when your skin isn't really smooth yet, because of the ingrown.
    I tend to think I can be more precise with a str8(I make Really small strokes)
    but what I read about the gillette tech, its should be a real easy shaver. Not agressive at all? I noticed I wanted to make much longer strokes with it (cutting myself one or two little bumps, which I might have avoided with the straight)

6. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

I'd say any vintage Gillette would be a "real easy shaver". They are generally not aggressive. If you opt for an adjustable (Slim/Fatboy) you can set the level of "aggressiveness" to your liking. But even at top setting there is still a bit to go to compare with a Merkur Futur.

7. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

I'll be the voice of dissent. I believe that what you are using is not a straight razor. It does not shave like one nor does it has the feel or the weight of a traditional straight razor. When I switched to straights I went with the real thing. I say get a real straight and see the difference. Not that there's anything wrong with the one you are using:D

Raf

8. CleanShaven

CleanShaven New Member

You are right!

Scorpio I hadn't even thought about the weight issue.
    But I think you are completely right.
    I have read that with wetshaving you should not use pressure, am I correct?
    But that's impossible with my current "straight".
    Thanks for bringing that to my attention.
    My only defense (excuse) is, it was just to get me started :(
    I'm sorry :signs083 I won't do it again I promise

See you around man

9. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

As Raf did conclude, there is nothing wrong at all with your current "straight". BUT it's not what we usually think of when we refer to a straight razor. Many barbers use these due to legislation etc, so they can most certainly be used for shaving, even professionals do it! What you need to keep in mind is that the weight, and probably the general technique is probably somewhat different with the "disposable blade straights". Maybe someone can give you a tip or two. I saw one in a SoS post recently ( http://www.theshaveden.com/forum/showpost.php?p=74059&postcount=80 )...

10. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

No need to apologize bro. Many have taken that road only to finish with traditional straights. When you decide to get one let us know and we will help you as much as we can with the details.

Raf

11. CleanShaven

CleanShaven New Member

No real offence taken

Cool I'd like that.
    For now my concern is to get my skin cleaned up (so to speak), getting rid of some ingrowns. It could mean if I'm able to stay with it or maybe having to go back to dipilatories :whacky098.
    Am pretty confided though that it will be oke
    got some great teachers on my side ;)

12. Padron

Padron Active Member

I would like to try one of these razors sometime, the shave seems like it would be completely different from that of a traditional straight...

Does the blade edge have more of a tendency to catch the skin? (heel edge) For some reason I think I would have to take more time and be more careful with one of these than a real / traditional straight..:confused:

They do look different and fun though :)

13. CleanShaven

CleanShaven New Member

Hey Padron

I like the thread about disposable straights, very interestting stuff.

14. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

I agree with Johan.

15. netsurfr

netsurfr New Member

Keep working on the straight! You will get there!!!

16. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

As an avid Feather ACD-N (non-folding) fan, I can say a disposable straight has it's place in the world of str8 shaving. It's got weight and balance, it mows whiskers like no tomorrow and it's easy to maintain. There are days though when I have to treat myself and go with the Bill Ellis Custom. That is a class shave. Under normal circumstances, I use an ACD-N or str8 in combination with a DE. Kind of like best of both worlds.