Shampoo Bars

Discussion in 'Skincare' started by burnWood, May 19, 2011.

1. burnWood

burnWood Mizzou Fan, YMMV

I am bored. I have bought so much stuff and have such a rotation that I do not need to buy more. Yes, I got a 15% off at The Shave Den that I will be using but ow I am curious. Shampoo bars. Why? I say why not. I am bored like I said. So who wants to buy me some?

2. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

:think002 Do I know you?

3. burnWood

I dont think you do birthday boy!!!!!!

4. Billr

Billr Mix Master Mighty White!

It must be Bill's Birthday - so I say HAPPY BIRTHDAY BILL if it isn't your birthday then to bad I already said it!

5. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    :think002

I can't leave you people alone for one second, can I?

On topic (I think :confused:); my hair is too long for shampoo bars.

Off topic; again, Happy belated Birthday, Bill! :agelic13 ::poze

6. burnWood

Well I see no one has grabbed this opportunity to buy me something. But on another note, I will gladly see if a shampoo bar can wash your locks Moi.

7. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Bill's birthday is today? :eek:

8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Actually your post here was the first I had ever heard of a shampoo bar.

9. michiganlover

michiganlover Member

I have recently got into Shampoo Bars myself. I have been using the Shampoo Bars from Queen Charlotte Soaps for about two weeks, and really liking the results! The Tea Tree Lavender bar fills my shower with a awesome spicy smell!!

http://www.queencharlottesoaps.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=9&zenid=044a353c39f02b64d72c4356e88da74a

The other major supplier of shampoo bars is Chagrin Valley:

https://www.chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com/shambar.htm

For those not in the know, the drive behind shampoo bars is a desire to avoid the harsh chemicals often found in shampoos, and body washes. Both products typically contain sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS), and Sodium laureth sulfate (SLES) which are industrial detergents, and as such not technically soap. These products are likely used because they are cheaper, along with producing copious amounts of foam.

Shampoo bars are true soap, and contain additional oils that are considered to be beneficial for the hair (such as jojoba oil). Depending on your hair type, the shampoo bar may be followed by a Cider Vinegar rinse.

10. techjunkie

techjunkie Member

No, the primary reason for use of SLS & SLES is that they are not soaps, and therefore do not react with Calcium & Magnesium in water. (They are the two primary ions that make water "hard")

Yes, the use of SLS & SLES vs. some more "naturally derived" detergents (from coconut oil for example) is cheaper than the alternatives, but in the scheme of things I doubt their use is any great savings over soaps.

Because they are not soap and won't react with Ca & Mg, they don't produce "soap scum" which tends to leave hair dull, dry and flat.

(Hence the reason for the vinegar rinse you talk about, to dissolve the limescale buildup on your hair when using a soap bar.)

Don't get me wrong, not knocking your use of soap to wash your hair with or anything, just mentioning the primary reason for use of detergents rather than "true soap" in producing shampoo. If you have completely soft water (and in water softener, or using rain water) you don't have to worry about any buildup in your hair at all from the use of soaps vs. shampoos.