Shapton Glass Stones (Hones) any thoughts? opinions?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Padron, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Padron

Padron Active Member

Hi,

I know there are a few folks out there using these, I am pretty happy with my current hones and get a nice shaving edge.....but...........
    .... :o I am curious to hear some thoughts on these hones.

These are the hones I am referring too :cool:

Thanks in advance :happy005

2. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Three words..

I LOVE THEM!!!!!

I have the norton set and natural hones...

The shaptons took my honing skill to another level. I really enjoy them. They are a bit pricey, but well worth it IMHO. I would suggest anyone attempting to buy hones as a starter to ditch the Norton idea..and jump right into the Shaptons on glass

3. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Never tried these before, sorry...

4. Spirit_of_76

Spirit_of_76 Yardley Ninja

I have both versions of the Glass Stones series, the Japanese domestic market stones and the US versions. I haven't done enough testing with the J version to offer any valid discussion concerning the difference between the two versions, suffice to say that both versions are exceptionally good. If I were giving advice to someone just starting out, I would say go for the Shaptons to begin with; honing on these stones feels quite different than on the Nortons, and whilst the transition isn't difficult, I think you get the most satisfaction learning on the Shaptons. They cut quicker than the Nortons and they are slightly finer than the Nortons in comparitive grit sizes, both of which are pluses in my book, as well as the fact that they don't need to be soaked. On the other hand they are a PITA to lap. Also, remember that with the Nortons you just buy the stones themselves, whereas the Shaptons are designed to be used as a complete system with the stone holder, the sharpening pond and the DGLP. You can use the stones separately of course, but they are designed to work optimally as part of the aforementioned system.
    When I first switched over to the American market Glass Stones early last year I started to get better edges almost straight away and attributed this to the Shaptons, however the 16k stone was merely helping to cover up other flaws in my technique, and now I'm at a level where I have a much better understanding of the principles involved with honing I use the Nortons more frequently than the Shaptons. My real problem to begin with was not spending enough time on lower grits, when I got a good 1k stone, the Trend benchstone, and a 2k Bester I got the sharp in the straight from these stones and then switch over to the 4k/8k for a consevative pyramid. I don't think the pyramid provides a better edge per se but it fits in better with the methods I use now. This only leaves the 16k stone to offer any improvement over what I'm doing with the 1k, 2k, 4k and 8k stones, but that is why I have Nakayama stones, so I'm at a loss as to how to fit the Shaptons in, I definitely have more testing to do, but the mark of someone who really excels is pulling off great results with run-of-the-mill equipment (ie the Nortons) and whilst I would never be so arrogant as to insist how good my honing is, I get edges that I'm happy with and at the end of the day that's what really counts.
    If anyone is looking for real improvement I'd say spend more time with the hones you started out on, and add the 16k Glass Stone at a later date to further refine an already good edge.
    As for the 30k stone? I don't like it personally. It's not that I find it too sharp, but it isn't anywhere near as smooth as the edge off of a Nakayama stone which is easily as sharp, but much more comfortable.
    There are a lot of very experienced forum members who use the Shapton Stones, like MParker, Joe Chandler, Joe Lerch and Chris Moss, so if you want truly expert advice, I would always defer to them; but for me, once I started to develop my own system of honing the Shaptons didn't offer as much of an improvement as I thought.
    If your looking to buy a whole system, with a logical grit progression get the Shaptons and the related accessories, if your looking to improve on results you're already happy with, just add the 16k.
    Kind regards,
    Alex

5. Padron

Padron Active Member

Thanks fellas,

Great info, I may try them after the holidays :)

6. RayG

RayG New Member

+1

7. 2Sharp

2Sharp New Member

Hello Guys, I have been absent for a while but I do come by once in a while to see what is going on. I have the Shapton Glass in the 1K, 4K, 8K, 16K, 30K and the 500 for my kitchen knives. When I bought these I had the famous Norton 4K X 8K plus Chinese 12K, Spyderco and others. When I started using the Shaptons I put all my other stones up for sale and haven't looked back. The Shaptons are very consistent from stone to stone as they feel the same when honing. I liked the 8K side of the Norton but the 4K side was a pain for me to use. The Shapton didn't have to be soaked and was much faster cutting. As mentioned above the Shaptons are faster cutters than most other hones rivaled only by DMT's which are really too rough for me to use on my blades.

I have no trouble flattening the Shaptons with my DGLP and do so before every honing session with a few strokes. The original flattening took less than 5 minutes per stone. The DMT course would work fine if that is what you have.

If I could have only one Shapton it would be the 16K because it is one of the best finishers out there. It doesn't care how you arrived at the 8K or 10K point. It takes it from there and does the job it is supposed to. The 30K is my second favorite because it actually refines the edge even more. I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

I have no experience with Naturals and I am sure they are excellent. I just know the Shaptons have taken my blades closer to the "Perfect Edge" than they have ever been.

bj

8. I just saw a Lynn Abrams webcast where he highly recommended the Shaptons.
    He even recommends that newbies to honing skip the Norton combo and go straight for the Shaptons. If I recall, he recommended a 4k, 8k and 16k as a honing set.

9. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

That's some serious $ for a newbie.

10. Quite.
    But reselling a Norton is never a problem and I imagine if you decided you weren't into honing it would be even easier to resell a Shapton. They might go for a little cash below retail, but there would be plenty of buyers... myself included.

I did the pricing and all-inclusive, you're looking at about 250 bucks JUST for the hones themselves, no stands or anything else. But you'll probably never need to replace them.

11. riffin

riffin Active Member

DGLP = ???

Thanks!

12. 2Sharp

2Sharp New Member

The DGLP [Diamond Glass Lapping Plate] is the plate on the left. The slab on the right is the stone holder.

bj

Attached Files:

13. Padron

Padron Active Member

Wow Bj!!

What a set! :drool :drool, thanks for the great info! the 16K is next on my list :)

14. I just dropped cash for one of those. I don't have any hones yet, so the Shapton 16k will be my first.

Sounds crazy, I know. But I have a couple of Tosuke Japanese straights on the way and I've heard that the fine grain hones are the best way to keep them sharp.

15. 2Sharp

2Sharp New Member

You have a good start but Shapton Stones are like potato chips. One is not enough. :D Let us know how it works out.

bj

16. You're not kidding. I'm planning on getting a 4k and an 8k early next year.

So in your experience, bj, is the stand/holder necessary or beneficial or do you think I can forgo that? And what about the DGLP? Is that really necessary for someone who is just honing their own razors and not making a business of it? I'd like to put off those purchases for a while unless they're really necessary.

17. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

I actually like the stand/holder. I dont think its necessary, but I wouldnt be without it personally. I have to save up for the DGLP for next years purchase. So far i have the 4k/8k/16k Eventually ill get the 30k...but first up will be the Lapping Plate

18. autarkic

autarkic New Member

I'm just beginning down the straight razor road and I've been watching Lynn ABRAMS video "World of straight razor shaving" In it he recommends the Norton Combo. I know its still 6 months off or so before honing is going to be an issue for me so I thought I'd start reading up on it and getting some information on it. I understand expense may be an issue between the sharpton and the norton any practical advice from you honemiesters for a newbie considering these purchases?

19. I just saw a very recent webcast with Lynn and he is now recommending the Shaptons. He recommended the 4k, 8k and 16k as a starter set. If you want something cheaper, the Norton combo is probably the way to go.

20. 2Sharp

2Sharp New Member

I like my Shapton holder. It is designed to hold the glass plates perfectly and weighs about 4 pounds so doesn't slide around but there are holders that are only about $15 that work OK. If you plan on having a set of Shaptons I would recommend the DGLP. The DMT 8C [Course] will flatten your Shapton just fine. The difference is the DGLP has groves that keep the stone from sticking to the lapping plate. You have to decide if you want to put out the extra cash for a lapping plate that works a little easier.

bj