Shark blade? How do they compare?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by amadablam, Dec 29, 2010.

1. amadablam

amadablam New Member

Hi All,

I started DE shaving in August of 2010 and have had the best time, no cuts and I love shaving so much more now even after being a wet shaver all my life.

Using an Edwin Jagger DE89 Chrome, I have tried the following:

1. Personna Platinum
    2. Astra Platinum
    3. Derby
    4. Timor
    5. Super Iridium
    6. Feather

My favorite and best blade that I enjoy shaving with is the feathers, I love them. Also like the super iridiums.

Came across 300 sharks at a price of £15 delivered and was wondering how they compare to Feathers and Iridiums?

Also is there any other blade that shave like the feathers or compare to the iridiums or feathers? I just feel I want to buy something new and maybe in bulk and will probably buy 100 feathers if there is nothing else to look at.

Thanks for all the help and guidance!

Wishing you all a happy new year!

2. CSL

CSL Member

I really don't find Feather & Iridium to be similar to each other.

That being said, Voskhod remind me somewhat of Iridiums.

3. amadablam

amadablam New Member

I like the feathers best but like the Iridium second of the blades I have tried, this is just based on the shaves I get though and I am not saying the blade are similar, just they are the best for me , from the brands I have tried to date. Timor was also good but I still prefer the Feathers overall.

Will check out those Voskhod blades though as I have not heard of them, thank you. :)

4. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I find Sharks closer to Personnas than any other blade you listed. Nothing like feathers (Irridiums are one of the few blades I haven't tried).

If you're a feather fan, I find Kai and Silver Star (the modern version by LORD) reasonably similar, though feathers are just a little different from anything else. Not as close to feather, but liked by me and still not totally different are the 7 O'Clock line of blades (I like the Sharp Edge version in the yellow package).

5. CSL

CSL Member

I like Timors too. Feathers feel a little scratchy to me.

Looking back through my blade journal, I see that I liked Shark Super Chrome quite a bit; the Shark Stainless, didn't work so well.

6. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

For me sharks where not very sharp. I only used them a few times with my 89l I think I will revisit them next with my Futur. If it's a sharp and smooth blade you want. Get some Voskhods. they compare favorably with Iridiums in my book. They may even be better. :eek:

7. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I am Loving on my Voskhod's Ya'll

8. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Feather blades are too sharp for my tastes. The KAI blades are up there in sharpness.

They have already been mentioned, but Voskhod, Timor, Silver Star, Gillette 7 O'clock (I prefer the blacks and Indian Greens to the yellows), and Astra SP are all sharp blades that have given me great shaves.

I like the Shark SC blades, but they are a step down in sharpness from the previously mentioned blades.

9. revtriplep

revtriplep Member

As mentioned above

I like both the Feathers and the Super Iridiums. Super Iridiums are my favorite though compared to the two. Feathers are good and super sharp but SI last longer. The Sharks are good blades, I like the Super Stainless Sharks better (the ones in the cardboard box) better than the Chrome Sharks. Both Sharks are not as good as the Feathers and SI though.
    Ranking on 1 to 10, with 10 being best, IMHO though:
    Feathers 8
    Super Irid. 9
    Sharks Chrome 6.5
    Sharks Super Stainless 7 to 7.5, just my opinion though

10. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

About the only other blade, as has been mentioned, similar to Feather is KAI.

Shark SuperChrome are pretty decent blades and were pretty much, after trying several different blades, what I used for many months when I first started wet shaving. They are made in Russia.

I love the Israeli Personna blades myself (the ones in the blue and white wrapper, search eBay for 'Israeli Personna') - but recently I used a BIC blade from some samples I was sent and it blew me away.. not only the great shave but the fact that it lasted for 5 shaves, something even my beloved Israeli Personna blades don't do.. so I ordered, and received in the mail today, 40 BIC blades. Definitely consider trying both of these, especially BIC.

11. CSL

CSL Member

Your take on the Bic is interesting.

I got a pack of those, tried one & found it tough going. It seemed pretty blunt.

I guess I need to revisit the Bics & give them another chance.

12. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Maybe I got a flawless blade? That's why I only ordered 40 more instead of 100 more. After 41 of them, I should definitely know their quality-control. But yes, as for the 1 I sampled, it was one fantastic blade. Could be one of those YMMV things, I don't know.

13. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Check Jeff (Crackstar) out on the Sputniks...It seems I remember him calling them the Russian Feather....

14. amadablam

amadablam New Member

Thank you CSL, ChemErik, Mynorx, stingraysrock, PanChango, revtriplep, IAmTheJody and Bird lives

Really appreciate the help and the advice with new blades to try to think I am going to buy a pack of each of the following:

KAI, Voskhod, Silver Star, Gillette 7 O'clock, Sputniks and Sharks in SS and SC - its fun to experiment :)

The Voskhods sound like a real winner though and possibly more what I am looking for than the Sharks.

15. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Sputnik and Voskhod are pretty close in my book, but the Voskhod for me delivers 6 shaves per blade where I only get 3 from the Sputnik.

I tell you what; I have 100 Voskhod on hand and another 1000 in the mail, so, PM me your address and I will fire you off some Voskhods and a few other blades to try.

16. I've never tried shark blades ... The Personna are among my favorites, I would try the blades timor! I can advise the blades Croma Diamant, really good, Gillette 7 o'clock yellow, platinum and Gillette. Blades Super iridium, for me the best are in the drawer, I have 500 and I'll use 'because they do not produce any more'! Never mind, I nearly 4,000 blades ready, many of which are still being tested.

17. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

The Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum blades (black wrapper) are, like the Feather, very sharp. If you like the Feathers, you might also like the Super Platinums.

18. BassTone

BassTone Well-Known Member

Happy Shark!

I have to say that I'm very fond of Shark blades. I find them very sharp and very smooth, though not as lasting as some. The closest thing I can equate them with would be UK Wilkinson Sword blades though a good bit sharper. My favorites right now are Gillette 7 o'clock yellow wrappers, Sharks, UK Wilki's, Derby and Racer blades in that order. Of OOP blades Polsilvers and Iridiums are high on the list. I know this is all very subjective, but I do not find the Sharks to be anything like the ASR Personna blades - Personnas tear me up, where the Sharks are very kind to my skin while mowing down the stubble with great ease. Of the ones you have mentioned, I would equate them a little closer to the Iridiums than Personnas, but that's just me. Give 'em a try! Let us know what you think.

19. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

I was not impressed with Shark blades at all in the past. I'll have to try them again since my technique has improved quite a bit since then. It could be a totally different experience now.

20. FamousAmos

FamousAmos Member

I enjoy using the Shark super chrome in my EJ 89l DE. Maybe it was my technique or sensitive skin, but when I used the Feathers, they tore my neck up.

I get about 3-4 shaves out of the Sharks.