"SHARP" razor blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Stubble, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Stubble

Stubble Member

Just received some Sharp razor blades, and have used them for several shaves. They are an interesting blade. The shave was very smooth, not harsh at all, and the blade appears to be very sharp. I would say they are close to being as sharp as the Feathers (which is my blade of choice).

However, they are not a very long lasting blade. I get one shave per blade, and then they seem dull. I pick up my blades from Howard1616 on eBay for $12.99 shipped per 100 blades. So the price is right, even if you only use the blade once. I think they would make an excellent travel blade.

I'll continue to enjoy these blades, price is cheap, shave is smooth and they are just a change from the Feathers.

2. Kingpepper

Kingpepper Active Member

Your lucky. I had to pay $13.93 for mine; New York State sales tax:mad: . Howard must do what he has to do. Got 2 shaves from the first one I tried. Weren't bad but had a Derby to continue using. Will try a fresh one next week and see how long it lasts. YMMV.

3. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    I believe the difference is that the sharp baldes are not platinum coated. It seems to make them a much more forgiving blade.

4. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

They are a pretty forgiving blade, not bad, but I didn't think they were all that great compared to others, I found them to be close to Merkur as far as sharpness goes. As for longevity I'm not really sure, I rarely ever take my blades over 2-3 shaves.

5. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    While I think the sharp blades are plenty sharp, that's not what makes them so good for me. I only get 1-2 shaves per blade, but they are just so forgiving. I actually take it for granted now, and use more pressure than I should sometimes.

6. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Yeah the forgiving nature of the SHARPs is probably the thing I like about them most. :ashamed001

7. Stubble

Stubble Member

Yea, well at about .13 cents per blade, the price is certainly good. Your probably correct about the forgiveness of the blade. The Feather, that I usually use, sure won't let you get away with anything less then perfect technique.

Still, there is a certain smoothness to this blade. I know on occassion, the Feathers can be pretty harsh.

Guess, I'm just surprised that they don't get more positive comments on the forums. They're a very good blade.

Anybody know anything about the 7 AM blades?

8. Ives_CH

Ives_CH New Member

Hi,

there are two versions the older V2 and now the new improved V3. Just received some of them from Rene a couple days ago. The V2 just aren't sharp enough in my opinion so they give a very uncomfortable and no close shave but lots of irritations and a pack of them contains only 2 blades.

The new V3 though are a lot sharper and they provided me with a nice close shave, it's really a big improvement. I just shaved once with them because I'm still sticking to Derbys so I can't comment on longevity (For me the Derbys are just more comfortable than the 7 AM)
    And luckily they changed the packaging to 5 blades per pack. If you try them, be sure to get the newer version, the only thing that is different between the two is the phrase "HI STAINLESS" on the package of the better ones (I tried to take pictures with my cell phone but it's just a mess and my Digicam is broken).

I actually don't know if the "V2/3" is official in any way or Rene just uses this description to keep them apart. :confused:

greetings from Switzerland,
    Thomas

9. SSLSTudio...

SSLSTudio... Forum Debugger

Hi Thomas,

Good to see you posting , I dont think anyone has 7am V2 in their possesion its all V3 now Thomas the V2 we are talking about a product from last year !
    7am is PLatinum Hi-Stainless Steel V3 only the Sharps are Carbon Steel V2 only.

I have heard people getting 3-4 shaves with 7am. yeah the put 5 blades in a package was my idea more to save shipping weights per box but also lets not waiste the environment more then we have to.

yes I keep the version numbers to distinguish them myself.

10. SSLSTudio...

SSLSTudio... Forum Debugger

Amen for that I think one of the better blades to start your wetshaving career with. I always tell newbies go for the Sharps first because of their forgiving nature you wouldnt want to make that slip or pressure with a Feather and ruin the newbies experience. I let my friend go from Sharps to Derby's and now I think after almost 2 months he is ready to tackle a Feather.

Myself I went from IP's to Derby Extra's to Swedish Gillette's to Russian Gillette's to Feathers' to Sharps to 7am's to New PLatinum EJ-Force800 (Korea) to Summa Platinum Chrome Steel to Summa Superstainless STeel to EJ-Force 810 to Wilkinson DE to SuperMaxx (India ) to Supermax V (UK) to LAZER De to Gillette Rotbart to Panda there must be more blades out there...must look harder...

11. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

The Sharps are the greatest blades ever invented! I get the best shaves with them, and if my sensitive skin can handle them, anyone can handle them.

Jeff

12. qaswer

qaswer New Member

I have also felt that but how much time we can use these blades . I tried it twice and it is useless after 2nd shave . What are your thoughts ?

13. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 Member

Really depends upon your beard. Mine must not be too tough.
    I used a 7AM v3 all last week in a HD. The last shave was as good as the first. I was impressed. Excellent, smooth shaves all week.
    I also used the HD and a Sharp v2 for the week before that with no noticeable decline in performance from first to last shave.
    I think I slightly prefer the 7AM, but too early to really state that with certainty.
    I've switched to a Derby/HD for this week, then will run the Sharp and 7AM again to compare with the Derby.
    I may do it all over again with comparisons to Euro Gillette and Feather and maybe IPs just to make it interesting.

14. Stubble

Stubble Member

John,
    I think we'd all be interested in your findings, let us know what your conclusions are. I just started using the Sharp blades, and also like them. Still gathering more info on the 7AM blades from folks who have used them.
    Ken

15. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 Member

Well, the 7AM blade is better for me in the HD than the Sharp. The 7AM also beats the IP and Derby for my beard. Your results may be different. I don't seem to have a heavy, tough beard. More average I guess. The 7AM just seems smoother and provides a closer shave.
    I'll move on to the Swede and Feather next. While I've used those brands before, I've not compared them to the 7AM.
    If anyone would like to try the Sharps blade, send me a PM with your address. For the first 8 responders I'll mail two packs of 5 (10 blades total) to try. I'll pay the postage. Offer only good while supply lasts (I'm not going to purchase more!). For our friends in Canada and Europe, International is OK also. Nothing to loose and they may be the holy grail of blades for you.

16. Queen of Blades

That's a very generous offer John.

:happy096

17. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 Member

Ahhh shucks, JoAnna, (kicks corn cob with boot), twernt nothin, :o .
    Still have a few. Don't be shy.

18. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

at the risk of being repetitious, I'll say that the Sharps are the easiest blades for me to use, and the gentlest. Although, I've been using a DE for a long time, the way my skin is, I need a blade (and a razor) that's easy, gentle and forgiving.

19. Queen of Blades

:happy097

I was introduced to SHARPs by a similar generous offer, and I'm glad I didn't miss the opportunity to try them.

Hopefully some folks will take you up on your offer.

20. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 Member

Oh, believe me, these guys jump on free food, free booze, and free blades like a hen on a june bug.
    Have additional blades. Send your PM.