Sharpening services

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by LKLive13, May 27, 2017.

1. LKLive13

LKLive13 Well-Known Member

I picked this guy up today and I'm certain it needs some TLC. I'm not a straight razor user so I would like to get an approximate value and I'd like to have it honed and stropped so I can try it out once at least. I can't find this one on eBay and I don't know where else to go for values on straight razors. Thanks for the help!
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Nice looking razor. As far as value goes, I have not a clue. It does look like there are some chips in the edge and that'll take some work on an aggressive low grit hone to get out. I'm sure others will be by to give a better assessment. But, I do like the razor and think with a little restoration and care it'll be a good performer and piece!

Karl G and Billyfergie like this.
  3. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Simmons hardware, very common straight. Barbers notch, looks like a 5/8 blade. I also see what appears to have some minor chipping on the edge. The honewear doesn't look too bad. I would estimate the value at around $40-45 bucks, once honed and cleaned up. It definitely looks like a worthwhile endeavor. I bet it's a great shaver.

4. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I use @gssixgun for all of my straight razor needs.

5. LKLive13

LKLive13 Well-Known Member

The edge looks a lot better in person. I think that is a small spot is rust making it look like a chip. Here is a better picture of the edge.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BeShaved, AGHisBBS, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Same here.

7. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

That small rust spot is in a bad place, probably requiring some major grinding of the edge, to get to clean metal. At least that's what it looks like to me. $10-$15, as is. Just m y 2¢… I've done many with edge corrosion, and it can either be easy or be a big pain. You won't know until it's put on the stones.

BeShaved, Keithmax, Bookworm and 2 others like this.
  8. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I use both Glen @gssixgun and Larry at Whipped Dog for honing.

BeShaved, PickledNorthern and Spyder like this.
  9. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Good advice above.

Brad Maggard puts out a good edge and has excellent turn around time. I have sent him two razors and had them back to me within a week on both occasions. I did pay the extra few $ for Priority return shipping.

BeShaved and Spyder like this.
  10. americanshamrock

americanshamrock Let's Make a Deal! Staff Member

BeShaved and Spyder like this.