Shave Bowl lids

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by TstebinsB, Sep 16, 2007.

1. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

I got these Corningware "shave" bowls from WalMart. This is the link on another site. All my soaps fit perfectly. I have Tabac in the left bowl and Mitchell's Wool Fat in the right bowl. I'd like to find lids for them. Corningware doesn't have lids for this size. Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Glad Press-'n-Seal :happy088

btw - those look pretty good

3. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

Is it reusable?

4. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

You should be able to get a fair amount of re-use...probably will have to replace after every 5-10 uses? But I haven't yet used it for an application like this so I can't say for sure.

I just started using it myself, and will be using it to prevent liquid spillage for shipping.

5. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

Alright. Thanks.

6. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

One other idea, is that (assuming the soaps remain stuck to the base)......you could simply store them "upside-down".

I do this with the mug that I have my Valobra menthol stuck into

7. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

I think I'm gonna try the the Glad wrap.

8. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Based on a quick browsing through some reviews/articles found on google, it seems to me that if you let the bowl dry a fair amount before applying your seal....I gather you should be able to get a decent amount of re-use with the Press n Seal.

9. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    If using Press-N-Seal, the lip of the container needs to be dry in order to form a seal.

You will be able to re-use the P-N-S for quite some time, if you maintain dryness.

10. Will

Will Nevermind

I have these things (sold with the zip lock stuff).

That are meant to fit snug around a bowl, a regular style press and seal with an elastic band at the bottom for perfect fit.

Very reusable (I put them around leftover bowls and the like.

I forget what they are called but keep your eyes pealed for them.

11. Queen of Blades

Press N Seal

I think Will is talking about QuickCovers by Saran.

From their FAQ page.

12. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

I looked on eBay and found a similar product. The seller has 1000 positive ratings with a 100% score selling this one product. I figure it's safe to try it.

13. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Be careful, those things are huge. You could cover 4 of your soap bowls with just one of those things :eek:

14. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

I thought of that. I sent her a question about whether the small bowl covers would work with my bowls. If so, I asked if I could just purchase just the small ones since I had no use for the others. I'll see what response I get.

15. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Two of the most knowegable individuals that I know of about wet shaving, Michael Ham and Giovanni, tell me to put the soap in the microwave and zap it into liquid then poour the soap into the bowl. The soap will solidify to the shape of the bowl.

16. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Melting a "hard"/triple-milled soap....is definitely NOT a wise thing to do, and I doubt those two guys recommended such.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1YtQzNqAiY[/ame]

Glycerin soaps, on the other hand (at least the ones without clay) can be melted at will.

17. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

Easy way to make snow right there! Microwave soap and just sprinkle away :rofl

18. Queen of Blades

TSD shaving soap contains clay. It can be melted.

19. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

I still have some of my sample left... in a microwave safe bowl no less.. hmmmmm :D:D:signs136

20. Queen of Blades

If you melt it, the sample that is, you don't need hardly any time on the micro. Maybe 5 seconds bursts until you are happy with the meltiness. ;)