Shave Cream has hardened

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by geogaga, Jul 24, 2010.

1. geogaga

geogaga Member

After a week of not using Omega cream it consistency became harder. I even had difficulties this morning squeezing it out of a tube. I observed same things with Gada and Palmshave. What's the cause and how to prevent it? Heat? Moisture? Cold?

2. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Oh my, my--I am so sorry, Alexey. I sent you the Gada creams. Please to tell me what I can do to help. :)

3. Alan

Alan Well-Known Member

I've had this happen with Proraso. Jeff, is this a common thing?

Alan in AZ

4. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I don't know, Alan. I am very concerned about this now.....:(

5. geogaga

geogaga Member

Guys, I don't think it's the creams' fault. It's something outside the tube :)

6. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I've noticed this with C.O. Bigelow too. All I do to fix it is put it in my shave bowl before I get in the shower and let float the bowl in the hot water in the sink. Sprinkle a little water on it too and it'll help soften it enough to lather up without big chunks of "dry" SC gunking up your bristles. If it is really stiff, smush it flat in the bowl and then let if float.

7. geogaga

geogaga Member

Omega, Proraso, C. O. Bigelow - these creams are produced by Proraso. But I don't think this is common just for these creams. Gada Mint, for example, has hardened, Marine and Classic versions softened and became liquidy. Palmshave... behaves very interesting. When I squeeze the cream out of it the tube looses its form for obvious reasons. But with time the tube gains its previous form. Gases? Or the cream just expands?

8. geogaga

geogaga Member

I just roll it around the face or a bowl and everything works out. But I still want the reason :)

9. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Understood. Hopefully ChemErik will see this post and be able to provide some insight into the chemistry.

10. geogaga

geogaga Member

I suspected that this "Chem" was not just a set of letters :)

11. dashmaverick

dashmaverick Member

I've had the same thing happen to me. While on vacation I brought along my Proraso in my dopp kit. I noticed the first morning when I went to shave that the cream was way more solid than should be. I had my dopp kit packed in my suitcase and loaded in the trunk of the car.

I suspect that during the trip to the hotel (around 2 1/2-3 hours) that the heat from being stored in the trunk somewhat liquified the cream. Then after arriving and unpacking my bags the cream cooled back down and hardened due to some moisture evaporation from the heat.

I dunno, I'm not a chemist but it seems like a logical guess.

12. geogaga

geogaga Member

Makes sense. Not a chemical reaction but a separation of different ingredients. Like outdated milk. We have very hot days here, like +33 C. What is the optimal temperature of storing creams then? I don't see any information on the tubes :confused:

13. geogaga

geogaga Member

Just squeezed the "upper" layer out of Omega, Gada and Palmshave. Looks like hard piece sits just at the neck of the tube, everything behind it is decent creamy substance. Not as soft as when new, but still not that hard. By the way, Russian Tet-a-Tet and Everest still the same :) But have to say they were watery from the very beginning.

14. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

FYI, the "Chem" or "Chemical" is because I am a Chemical Engineer. While I need to understand a certain amount of chemistry for my job, I'm not an expert on cosmetic chemistry. But, I'll give my best guess on this.

The creams that become runny I can say with good confidence are a result of a phase change. A cream is an emulsion of liquids, solids, and air. Many of the solids are wax like substances that will melt in the heat and disturb the emulsion bonds, often causing the cream to become mostly liquid and hence runny.

Because the forming of the emulsion required agitation and shearing, when the cream cools down, it will have a different texture. Depending on the ingredients this may be thicker or thinner than the original cream, or even very similar to where it started.

In my experience and base on reports I've heard, these changes won't change the quality of lather you can make from the cream except in rare cases. In a worst case scenario, I'd recommend moving the cream into a tub where it can be used more like a soft soap if need be.

15. geogaga

geogaga Member

Erik, you got right knowledge :) Thank you for the info. So, basically, what I observe, is the impact of external factors. What do you think, what they could be? Is high temperature a possible one? It seems it does something...

And guys, what is going on with my tube of Palmshave? It behaves very funny. Should I continue using it? That thing that regenerates its shape makes me worrying.

16. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Extreme temperatures would be the big thing. I wouldn't worry about the tube shape changing with temperature swings, that just normal thermal expansion. So long as it doesn't smell, it lathers well, and doesn't have signs of biological contamination (shave cream isn't a friendly environment for bacteria, so this shouldn't be an issue) - I'd keep using it.

17. dashmaverick

dashmaverick Member

Yes, I'll add that though the Proraso has solidified a bit, it has not effected it's lathering capabilities; and I agree the thickening is probably due temperature change.

Alexey, I strongly recommend you send me your Palmshave ASAP so as to avoid any dangers. I also recommend sending some Tet-a-tet and Everest along with the potentially dangerous Palmshave. You can never be too safe. :D :D :D

18. geogaga

geogaga Member

Get me a Green Card and the creams are all yours :D

19. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

I have only two tubed creams and I have not had this issue with them. But my tubbed creams dry out. I got some pre-formula change Body Shop cream and it hardened into a soap-like state after I'd used it a couple of times. Temps in my area are hitting 100 F+ (37 C). I figured it was just the heat drying the cream out. They still work fine- just add a little water on top and then lather like usual. That tub of Body Shop cream works just like a soap.

+1. I think further testing is necessary. Send them to me so I can try them out in the intense central Louisiana heat.

20. dashmaverick

dashmaverick Member

Or perhaps a Crabtree & Evelyn pure badger brush in a faux ebony handle?