Shave Creams Locally?

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by Chad808, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Chad808

Chad808 New Member

Are there any good creams I can buy from local stores? I'd rather support local economy and the instant gratification part just gets me. I'm near a big city so I have access to all the regular big box stores. I have an art of shaving within an hour but they are mighty pricey.

2. Luteplayers

Luteplayers Well-Known Member

The only one I have been able to find locally is C O Bigelow @ Bath and Body Works. It is made for them by Proraso I believe.

3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Rite Aid sells The Real Shaving Co. products and it's an excellent British Shave Cream. Then you have The Maca Root Shave Cream from The Body Shop. And as Luteplayers said, C.O. Bigelow (rebranded Prorazo) from Bath & Body Works. Anything else you are likely to find locally would be shave soaps. Macys carries the JAck Black line of shaving products, and you can sometimes find Kiss My Face shaving cream in large grocery stores. Also check out ethnic markets, they sometimes have Italian or Indian creams.

4. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Upstate NY. I've yet to find any.

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Kiss My Face
    C.O. Bigelow
    The Body Shop Meca Root

Yeah, these have been mentioned. I only mention them again because they are all very good creams.

Please, please, please, avoid Bert's Bees shaving cream. Don't say I didn't warn you.

asleep2shave and Neolithium like this.
  6. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

The bees agrees! ;)

7. ChrisC1977

ChrisC1977 Well-Known Member

Check farm markets and watch for local festivals and craft shows where many local artisans frequent.

8. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

The other you may run across that should be avoided at least as much as BB's IMHO is Herban Cowboy. Of course, if you smell it first it's not likely you'd want it anyway.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  9. Cavere

Cavere Active Member

I personally recommend the real shave co stuff at rite aid. It's cheap and I always keep some in my den.

10. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I've already replied earlier in this thread about the local sources. I think it's important to note that online vendors like the TSD store, Shaveabuck, Shoebox Shave Shop, and Italian Barber are all shave enthusiasts who have for one reason or another, gone out of their way to source out worldwide shaving supplies and offer them for fair prices. Some items, like the Hungarian shave cream Figaro, are world class products that are only available from one source. I would rather support the little guy than the conglomerate, but it seems to work out about even. Half my money goes local and the other half helps to support those who support our hobby.

JayPo007, asleep2shave and Hanzo like this.
  11. rbaloha

rbaloha Member

Bed Bath & Beyond has a nice selection of shave creams. Vitamin Shoppe also has a much smaller selection.

12. JayPo007

JayPo007 Well-Known Member

Don't forget about Crabtree & Evelyn. I like the gycerine lime and sandalwood body soap. My brother keeps the Nomad shave soap in his rotation. ( can be had w/wooden bowl or refill puck) As a side note I pick up something for SWMBO as well there so she doesn't throw me in the stockade for bringing home more shaving supplies, haha.

13. Luteplayers

Luteplayers Well-Known Member

In the Northeast I have discovered that The Christmas Tree Shops have some wet shaving items. I didn't buy any but they had a few creams. I got some Pinaud (not Osage Rub) there and a crystal deodorant.