Shave den creation options - input & thoughts requested

Discussion in 'Special Projects' started by Dusty5150, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Dusty5150

Dusty5150 Well-Known Member

My shaving stuff is quickly taking over the upstairs counterspace to the point where SWMBO had to sit me down and bring up some options. I'm not quite sure which direction I want to go, and I always like to have as much outside input as I can get. So, let me know your thoughts, please :)

We have a full bath upstairs where my scattered stuff resides all over the counter, mainly because I like to shave after I shower, and we don't have any shelves or cabinets in the bathroom. We also have a 2-piece (no shower) in the basement, that barely is used.

SWMBO's suggestions are as follows:

1. put up a couple of shelves or a wall cabinet for my stuff upstairs that match the current decor.

or,

2. turn the basement 2-peice into a shave den - paint, wallpaper, carte-blanche - do whatever I want, take it over, go crazy.

OMG option 2 got my gears turning, quick! the problem is logistics - I really like to shave post-shower, which means I'd have to hit two flights of stairs to go shave. And, there is no way to add a shower downstairs without a complete demo/reno, which I defintely don't want to do.

I'm processing all of this and have some thoughts, but please chime in with yours ..

178-bplatoon likes this.
  2. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

If it were me, I'd start with shelves or a wall cabinet in your current bathroom. It's quick, easy, and it can be cheap if that's a priority. It will get much of your stuff out of her way.

That does two things. First, it solves the problem quickly. Second, it buys you more time to consider turning the basement bathroom into shave den. That option will always be there and if you ever do go that route, you'll have some nice shelves or cabinets upstairs for her to use.

Going with the first option does not necessarily eliminate the second option.

178-bplatoon, CmdrBond and coche1 like this.
  3. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Agreed.. Option 1 for now.. I have all my shave stuff in a cabinet in the bedroom. Any daily use stuff and brushes, razors, etc that are in the current rotation go on a shelf in installed that is high enough up no little ones should be playing with my gear and have an accident. The only reason I haven't taken over another bathroom is that there isn't one

178-bplatoon likes this.
  4. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

GDCarrington likes this.
  5. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

A quick solution where no drilling is necessary is one of those cabinets that stand over the toilet. They can be bought for less than $40.00 I believe.

6. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

We're replacing our large mirror with two of these mirrored cabinets from Ikea. What my wife likes about them is that when you open them up, the back and inside the doors are also mirrored so you can use them as a 3-way mirror.

[​IMG]

7. coche1

coche1 Actively Wishing Member

I agree with Etoyoc- go with Option 1 as an immediate fix, and then later on you can still re-do the downstairs bathroom if you want. If you move your stuff out of the upstairs bathroom are you really worried that your wife will be upset over having an extra cabinet to fill with products? :happy102:

8. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Uhmmm, simple fix. Move all her crap downstairs :D Her hair can dry a bit on the way down to the basement.

And then the fight started.........
    :happy097:

I'm liking option one in all seriousness. You can do a lot with shelving by slotting for razors and adding magnets and a strip of metal for your brushes and fill up the other space with SC/SS/AS.

CmdrBond likes this.
  9. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

I say take the basement . As you know the possibilities are endless You can have a den you enjoy and be surrounded by your shave stuff. I rent a really olllld ramshackle place and the bathroom is a water closet, its small . I had to put my shaving stuff on some cheap shelves in another room . Its really no issue to gather my shaving stuff and bring it into the bathroom. Also moisture is not good for stored blades, labels and packaging of your software.

Dusty5150 likes this.
  10. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

I'd say: do both! First start in the bathroom upstairs with some shelves as 5Savages said. That'll keep SWMBO satisfied, which is of the utmost importance! ;)
    Use these shelves for the daily routine. Then start installing the other stuff (and of course all that you will accumulate - as you will accumulate! :) ) downstairs.
    And last -or first- but not least: buy SWMBO a large bunch of flowers for being so considerate as to leave the basement all up to you! :happy088:

CmdrBond and Dusty5150 like this.
  11. Dusty5150

great input, thanks guys.

I've put up a couple of shelves in the main bathroom, which has moved my current stuff off the counter, but I'm going to have to get an over the toilet cabinet for the stuff that's in the mail right now LOL. The plan will be to work on the basement den bit by bit and eventually set up shop down there as my AD's develop. I'll probably leave a shelf or two for my weekday morning 'quickie' shaves upstairs, and reserve the den for zen-time :)

oh and SWMBO is mainly on board because our ensuite is her den already :rolleyes:

CyanideMetal and macaronus like this.
  12. Dusty5150

I'm gonna use this thread to document my AD storage development so I thought I'd share a pic of my little den-wall ... still shopping for a full size cabinet.

[​IMG]

KLF, tomnat, Etoyoc and 2 others like this.
  13. The Soph Gent

The Soph Gent Member

I also vote for doing both. I started with just a mid size cabinet in the bathroom and that filled up almost instantly. I am now in the process of remodeling a spare bedroom and want to get some glass cabinets like the ones in the photo.

Your collection will probably grow rapidly so plan for the largest area you can.
    It has really gotten out of hand.:sad027:

[​IMG] All+Glass+Rectangular+Tower+Display+Case.jpg

14. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

My stop half way. You know that neither option will give you enough space in 1 or 2 yrs. MOVE
    Think of the future. You need a large room on the first floor. Don't forget the walk in whirlpool bath.