Shave Den Pics -- The SERs

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by xChris, Apr 28, 2007.

1. xChris

xChris Member

So, this is my last installment of photos of hardware from my shave den. Rene had asked about my straight razor collection before, but it's quite a logistical mission in my household; get the razors out, set up the photo studio, pose everything up, and keep them out of reach of my younger children.

If nothing else, I have a count of the razors that I own -- shave-ready and those still needing restoration (12, not pictured BTW). I will definitely be getting more, as there are too many fine craftsmen that are making razors again: Joe Chandler, Bill Ellis, Robert Williams, Maestro Livi, Tim Zowada, Darrell Ralph, Frank Warner, & Heribert Wacker (anyone know of others?).

I've grouped the razors into size categories (roughly): 8/8 - lip loppers, 7/8, 6/8, 5/8 & smaller (for my single 3/8). A few you will recognize from my previous threads on straights.

So, let me show you my cut-throat razors...

2. xChris

xChris Member

Here's the big ones -- I love owning these, and until recently, they weren't being made like this anymore. Some of these are 19th Century manufacture, so it's pretty cool to own and still use something of their vintage.

I've included photos of the blades' ends in some of the photos, so you can see differences in the various grinds. It's hard sometimes to explain just how they look relative to each other -- wedge vs. 1/4 hollow vs. 1/2 hollow vs. 1/1 (full) hollow -- so hoefully these will help a little.

Attached Files:

3. xChris

xChris Member

next size up -- 7/8 -- still fairly big, but I really enjoy using this size.

Attached Files:

4. xChris

xChris Member

On to 6/8 size -- great workhorse blades...

Attached Files:

5. xChris

xChris Member

Finally my 5/8ths (& the 3/8) are displayed. Theses are the ones that I liked enough to keep. I sold off 11 in recent months.

Attached Files:

6. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

simply amazing, Chris! :drool

7. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

When I grow up I want to have a set just like that!!!:drool

Very nice indeed Chris

8. xChris

xChris Member

Thank you Klaus & Raf. This wasn't a post just for me to show off. I know both of you are straight razor shavers -- probably the reason you had to open this thread & comment :cool: :D -- so let's your stashes of blades too!

9. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Yeah, what he said! :rofl I feel like such an amateur! I own three right now, and have one on the way. I have a "Meister" 3/8, "Garantie" 4/8 and a Kaufmann 5/8 round point, and a Revisor 5/8 round point on the way to me off Ebay.

Chris, super nice stuff!

10. xChris

xChris Member

Thanks Blair -- RAD took hold of me once or twice. :D Looks like your building up a nice little collection yourself too.

11. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

Ok here are my blades:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These include Shumate's, Boker's, W&B, Dubl Duck's, Kobar, Carl Clauberg, Crown&Sword,Clauss,Kayser&Ellison(Sheffield),Johan Breidohr,C.V. Heljestrand and J.A. Henckel. With exception of a Shumate #30 a 4/8 in pic 1 all my razors are 5/8 and one 6/8 Johan Breidohr also in pic 1. Along with Mike Sandoval, we have started a rescaling project for some of our blades so hopefully if all goes well we will post the rescale blades soon.

The pics are not the greatest. All of these blades are in excellent condition and shave ready.

Raf