Shave everyday?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by James_P, Dec 10, 2017.

1. James_P

James_P Well-Known Member

Do most people here shave everyday? No worries about irritation? My neck is a difficult area to get a BBS shave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enrico and mrchick like this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Some can. Some can't.
    I can. I do. Seven days a week.

Spyder, Herm2502, Hodge and 2 others like this.
  3. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Yes,I shave daily. No irritation since moving to straights.

Spyder, Enrico and James_P like this.
  4. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I’ve been shaving 7 days a week for decades. I need to look presentable for my job and have not experienced any irritation.

5. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

I Shave every other day. If I try to shave everyday I too get Irritation big time on my neck.

Spyder, RyX, Enrico and 1 other person like this.
  6. gadabout

gadabout Well-Known Member

I don’t know about most, but I definitely shave every day. If I skip a day, the next shave is brutal.

Spyder, Enrico and James_P like this.
  7. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Basically I do. Miss one once in a while, shave twice once in a while. It all evens out.

Spyder, FatherofSquirrel and Enrico like this.
  8. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I shave every weekday and generally one of the weekend days. In the summer it’s a little more erratic since I’m not working, but generally 6 out of 7 days.

I would advise to not shoot for BBS. Just let it happen. I shave one WTG pass followed by a second pass just on my jawline and neck. That works great for me. Am I as smooth as someone who does three full passes? Nope. But it works for me and that’s what counts.

J Philip, Spyder, Enrico and 3 others like this.
  9. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

@James_P, I used to shave everyday when I was new to DE shaving but I've since slacked off dramatically. I quit buying razors all the time so that helped. I have no requirement to be clean shaven for work so its a personal thing and right now, for now, I shave when I get the hankering. I even grew a beard for November ;)

When I am shaving everyday though, I'm one of the lucky ones that can do so without irritation. I'd like to think that anyone can with the right tweaks but since every face is different, its hard to advise. Map your facial hair growth and then experiment to see what works and what doesn't. Finding a razor that does it for you helps too. Blade choice is important. As close to zero pressure is perhaps the most important. Cold water helped me dramatically believe it or not. A nice hot shave is great but I get far less irritation having become a cold water shaver.

Don't chase the baby. The closer you get, the further away it becomes. Just shave correctly. One day, you'll notice that you haven't had irritation or stubble in a while. That's where I'm at now and I usually do one against the grain pass lately. Find something that works well for you and then just let the rest fade away and you'll notice that you are killing it regularly. At least this has been my experience. Its ok if this takes months. I'd be leary if it happened quickly even. Commit to shaving this way and who cares how long it takes, it'll happen when it happens. For me, a less than uncomfortable DE shave is far more comfortable than a fiery electric shave or an itchy nowhere close to close cart shave.

sdguero, PanChango, swarden43 and 4 others like this.
  10. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Yep, except when out hunting..........

Enrico and James_P like this.
  11. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

Shave every day, been retired since 2013, keeps me busy for a half hour a day.
    Plus I have to use up everything I have, might start shaving 3 times a day...

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

12. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I've tried everyday (two pass), but it doesn't work for me. I can do one pass every day, but normally I'm an every other day (two pass) shaver. :shaver

RyX, stuartganis and James_P like this.
  13. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

I have to be shaven for work, so I will shave at least five days on a normal work week. Sometime more if I have to work on the weekends.

Since switching to a DE razor (normally a Merkur 23C) the neck irritation has pretty much gone away. I don't worry about BBS either like Perry, I start with one WTG, followed by one CTG on the jaw line and trouble areas, and one ATG. I have gotten it down to a decent shave in 10-15 minutes typically, with little to no irritation. When I have more prep time I'll take longer.

After a weekend I have found that the PAA DOC is an excellent and mild DE to mow down the extra growth with that first pass. Consecutive passes have no irritation after that.

James_P and Enrico like this.
  14. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I will shave everyday most of the time, but I do have a tendency to skip a day every so often. Seems like that usually happens the most during the colder times of the year, especially now with the snow.

James_P, Enrico and RyX like this.
  15. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I shave M-T for school and typically 1 day of my 3 day weekend. I shaved every day for about 2 years after I found DE shaving, but no longer have the fervor to do that. I rarely have experienced razor burn since I went to DE.

16. RyX

RyX DoH!

Semi retired, and no requirement. My best shaves are 36-48 hours apart. If I skip a couple days, a glorious BBS feels great.

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

17. James_P

James_P Well-Known Member

I did a number on my head today with my straight razor. I think I will use my adjustable DE for my head from now on and use the straight razor on my face and neck

RyX, Keithmax, Enrico and 1 other person like this.
  18. FatherofSquirrel

FatherofSquirrel A right jolly old elf

:signs011:

James_P likes this.
  19. FatherofSquirrel

FatherofSquirrel A right jolly old elf

Great point here.
    He is able to take a half hour to shave. Taking adequate time gives you the chance to get better as well go easy on trouble spots like the neck, or chin for me.
    I am lucky if I have ten minutes and I have to rush. While it forces me to be pretty decent at shaving, it lends to some irritation at times. Also, I hardly ever chase the baby. I usually do two passes, but sometimes have to make due with one.

I definitely don't get to pamper myself with a shave. Fortunately, Tuesday is my last day of school and I will be graduating. So I will have more time on my hands.

RyX, Enrico and James_P like this.
  20. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I shave every day. I cut back to two passes and touch ups if needed. I quit chasing the baby years ago. It makes a lot of difference.
    zBABY.jpg

RyX, Enrico, James_P and 1 other person like this.