Shave Secret

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by ugadawg, Jun 20, 2015.

1. ugadawg

ugadawg Well-Known Member

I just started using Shave Secret as a pre shave oil this week. I've always just used soap or cream, but I will definitely keep using it. It doesn't seem to add any extra slickness like I thought it would, but I have been getting little to no irritation. I wish I had tried it sooner.

Bristle Me likes this.
  2. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

I have read people using it as a pre shave. But its originally made to be used my itself right? Or I'm I mistaking?

I think a preshave only gives a thin extra layer of protection of the skin. Not something you would "feel" or at least I have never felt extra slickness from oils.

If you want extra added slickness, try Corn huskers lotion =) it's glycerine. With that I did feel the extra slickness =)

SHAVEWIZARD420 likes this.
  3. ugadawg

It's supposed to be used by itself, but I was a little hesitant so I used it as a pre shave. My skin has been feeling dry lately and it was available locally so I decided to give it a try. I definitely noticed a difference in shave quality and my skin does not feel as dry. I just wet my face and applied 5 drops to my hands and rubbed it into my face. I let it soak in while I bowl lather, then I wet my face a little before I apply shaving cream.

I did some more reading, and you're right, pre shave oils are supposed to add protection, not slickness. I was just confused about the purpose. I did notice that I did not get any pulling or tugging though.

Omelmad likes this.
  4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  5. 1passjoe

1passjoe New Member

The scent was too strong for me.

6. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

Everyone is different.
    If you have found something that makes your shave better/more comfortable,
    then you should stick with it. :)

7. ugadawg

I actually like the scent and I usually use unscented soaps and creams.

Radiotube likes this.
  8. Omelmad

It sounds like it adding Quality to your shave. Im glad you have found this product =)

I think the oil is locking in the moisture, or keeping the soap from drying your skin. What kind of soap are you using. I'm not trying to get to to buy a new soap, but some soaps might be a little more drying than others.

9. ugadawg

I use kiss my face cream and stirling soap. I usually use kiss my face though because it seems to hold in the moisture better. My skin has been extra dry lately, even before I apply cream or soap.

10. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Pre-shave oils certainly should reduce irritation, but some can add slickness, as well. Castor oil will do that.
    Lots of folks add some castor oil to homemade blends. (See the Tutorial Forum here, to learn more.)

11. Omelmad

Might be the weather then =) do you use a balm after your shave?

12. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    For me a pre-shave product is no substitute for good prep. I have a few pre-shave products, but when they are all gone, they will not be replaced.

13. ugadawg

I had to take accutane as a teenager and I have had dry skin since then.

I use witch hazel and aveeno after shave balm as aftershave.

Omelmad likes this.
  14. ugadawg

Thanks. I looked at the forum. Does it make a difference if you mix olive and grape seed oil or do I just need to pick one of them?

15. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I usually just mix one oil with the castor oil. But there is no harm in trying a blend of olive, grapeseed & castor.

16. ugadawg

I break out easily. Any idea which oil would be best to mix with the castor oil?

17. Omelmad

2 of my siblings have taken that medicine.

For dry skin maybe you need to use moisturizing mask or moisturizing serum. They are not very expensive, you can find both at The body shop

18. Omelmad

Maybe one that doesn't absorb quickly. I know the sweet almond oil is one that absorbs quickly I have read.

Check 'oilypedia' for different oils. It's a site on the web

19. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Keep in mind that the shave soap will wash the oil away, as you shave. So it's not staying on your face all day. But I would look for oils that are non-comedogenic (which means they are not pore-cloggers.)

From what I read, sweet almond oil could be good for your oily skin. Here is a link to an article.
    http://www.thedermreview.com/almond-oil-for-skin/

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  20. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I use Stirling Unscented Post Shave Balm after my shaves, and this seems to really help my dry skin.

I also make my PSO, and mix grape seed and olive oil with the castor oil. I usually mix about 3 parts grape seed/olive oil to 2 parts castor oil. The castor oil can be a cleanser, so it may help keep break outs down.