Shave Soap/Brush or Canned Gel/Foam with Cartridge Razor

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by wmbjr, Jun 8, 2015.

1. wmbjr

wmbjr Duck, duck, cooked goose!

I am a newbie and just found this site to do some research on before I settle into a new (or stick with my old) shaving routine. I have used cartridge razors for years (I currently have a variety of the Dorco packs from a good deal a while back so going through them before buying and trying a DE razor for the first time). When using the cartridge I always just used a can gel or foam but am going to start using brush and shave soap to see if there is a difference. Just curious if it is a waste of time to go the shave soap/brush route.

Do most people on this forum do a wet shave using shaving soap/cream and brush but still use a cartridge type razor instead of/along with a DE or do most use some type of gel/foam like barbasol or gillette foam or whatever and dont use shaving soap and a brush. Thanks for your thoughts!

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Hi!
    To steal an analogy from a fellow Den member, asking if you should use a soap and brush here at TSD is like asking what cat you should get at ilovedogs.com

Really, though, try the soap and brush, then use what YOU want.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
    kurtmill and wmbjr like this.
  3. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

The only waste of time were the years I spent shaving with canned goo. A Brush and soap or good cream are essential to a great shave.

wmbjr likes this.
  4. wmbjr

wmbjr Duck, duck, cooked goose!

I have a brush and am waiting on my soaps. Definitely looking forward to trying them and feeling the difference. Do soaps gunk up the razors much worse than the gel/foams do? How much more time do you think I should allocate to shaving to change from the foam to a brush and soap? Thanks!

5. Cheechako

Cheechako Active Member

Give yourself an extra 15 minutes at least...shaving will become your "me" time. It did for me!

wmbjr likes this.
  6. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

well the soap and brush will help but there is something you are missing with a DE vs. cart....if you are like me (most men) carts. cause a tug/pull effect....so im not sure if you are content with your carts. or if you are looking for a better shave...if its the latter i would say, try a DE razor and take the time to learn how to properly use it, and you will develop a shave you never thought was possible, and that shaving can be very very enjoyable.

wmbjr likes this.
  7. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Most of us don't use cartridge razors, or at least not as our main shaving tool, and there's very few members who use canned shaving cream/gel.

There are a number of reasons to make the switch to brush and soap/shave cream. First, there are some really harsh chemicals in the canned stuff that are not good for your skin. Second, those chemicals also make blades go dull faster.

Even if those weren't the case, most people enjoy using a brush with soap or shaving cream far better. It's relaxing, ritualistic, gives one a sense of accomplishment, is better for the environment, and makes a guy feel manly. (I'm not sure how it makes women feel, having never been one :D)

wmbjr likes this.